Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Croagh Patrick

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

1st point would be there's too many Pa.

5, 6 and 7 seem to want to have that statue in the scene. But oddly in all 3 pics the statue is neither in nor out. I'd recommend having the statue in the scene (if that's what you want) and keeping it down to that one pic.

The wire in pic no.4 looks bizarre. I can't pretend, it might be the only thing the shot has going for it.

The rest really are not up to scratch. If it was a lesser photographer I wouldn't usually comment. But you've a web-site and hope to do this commercially.

It's a very poor selection that just doesn't cut mustard, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

humberklog wrote: »

5, 6 and 7 seem to want to have that statue in the scene. But oddly in all 3 pics the statue is neither in nor out. I'd recommend having the statue in the scene (if that's what you want) and keeping it down to that one pic.

The wire in pic no.4 looks bizarre.

The rest really are not up to scratch. If it was a lesser photopher I wouldn't usually comment. But you've a web-site and hope to do this commecially.

It's a very poor selection that just doesn't cut mustard, sorry.

Cheer for the honest comments.
    I know there's a lot of photos there (I tend to do that) but wanted to get opinions
    Like no 1 (inverted) was just messing around, kind of like the cloud colour to the right.
    (e.g. some are similar but which do people prefer).

I like the statue with the clouds, to me it's nice and simple.
    I also like 3 but maybe cropped too much in the foreground (lake).

I do have a website, don't plan to do it commercially. (In a parallel universe maybe). I had a blog but said why not turn it into a proper site instead of just a blog.

As I said thanks for the honest comments.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I like the statue with the clouds, to me it's nice and simple.
    I also like 3 but maybe cropped too much in the foreground (lake).

I can see what you saw in this one, it's the better of the lot in my eye. But my eye's still looking for a bit more body of the statue to give it more stature(if that makes sense?)

Who's the statue of btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Just throwing in my 2 cent, for what it's worth. (I'm no expert now!)
    I think with the shots of the mountain there are a lack of lines to draw the eyes into the subject.. Its seems like its just there in the background. Number 9 especially, the lines in the church almost leads you away from whats supposed to be the center-point.

The light wasn't great by the looks of it either, which doesn't help.
    I'd agree with humberklog about the statue, think there needs to more of in the pictures to help put it in context.

Also, is it just me or does number 7 look like St PAtrick's pointing a gun at you? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Who's the statue of btw?

The statue at the base of Croagh Patrick, holding the Shamrock, the symbol of St. Patrick?
    That's St. Brendan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

St Brendan is looking well, must be all that fresh air.

This set lacks impact to me. Even the first shot does not really grab my attention. The composition is very safe and look like typical holiday snaps. All the shots, but especially the mono's, lack contrast and are quite flat.

The statue at the base of Croagh Patrick, holding the Shamrock, the symbol of St. Patrick?
    That's St. Brendan.

Ah, that makes sense kinda. I thought it was supposed to be god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

CabanSail wrote: »
    The composition is very safe and look like typical holiday snaps. All the shots, but especially the mono's, lack contrast and are quite flat.

I was on a weekend away with my wife so had limited shooting time.

CabanSail wrote: »
    All the shots, but especially the mono's, lack contrast and are quite flat

- maybe another reason to stop using Picasa 3 for editing and use Lightroom (and shoot in RAW sometimes)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I was on a weekend away with my wife so had limited shooting time.

Unfortunately it looks like it too. Then getting Landscapes right is VERY hard.

- maybe another reason to stop using Picasa 3 for editing and use Lightroom (and shoot in RAW sometimes)

I would have assumed that you would be shooting in RAW already, except for exceptional reasons.

It may also be time to start learning some PP techniques with Layers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

no HDR ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

That's St. Brendan.
    Huh? Why would there be a statue of St Brendan there?

It's St Patrick.

"The first stop on the pilgrimage is Saint Patrick's statue erected in 1928 by Reverend Father Patterson with money he collected in America towards the rebuilding of Saint Mary's Church in Westport."

http://www.croagh-patrick.com/visitorcentre/holy-mountain

And the shamrock:

"The significance of the shamrock is linked to St. Patrick, Ireland’s patron saint. When he arrived in Ireland in 431, Patrick used the shamrock to teach Pagans about the Holy Trinity.

Literacy levels would have been a barrier when trying to educate natives about Christianity, so Patrick used the plentiful plant to demonstrate the most basic doctrine.

Plucking a shamrock from the grass growing at his feet he would tell listeners that the three leaves of the shamrock represented Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Each symbolizes the three separate beings that together are all part of the Supreme Being."
    http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/What-does-the-shamrock-signify-118176994.html

Nah!!! You won't wind us up that easy.

It has to be St Brendan. Nothing else would make sense.

Then again it could be St Iron-Knee?

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Huh? Why would there be a statue of St Brendan there?

It's St Patrick.

St. Brendan's in Glandalough too though. Or at least there's a church there named after him. I think they travelled about a bit.

As the mountain's named after St. Pat I thought that it was probably someone else (god) as the statue as it would come across as a little more than vainglorious to have the mountain named after you and a big statue made out of ice cream too.

@dinneanp- I would doubt if the software ware would help the images. Position, feeling and a re-shoot might.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Agree with HK. I've said it to others too, post one or two shots and you'll probably get more in depth feedback. Nobody is going to write a full critique of a mountain (pun intended) of shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You really need to work on your compositions, if I'll be honest most of them look like screen shots from google street view. It's like as if you were stuck to a certain position for shooting.

I will also agree less is more.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement