Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spreading fertiliser for hay/silage/aftergrass

• 30-04-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

A few questions:

No soil tests done or anything but heavily grazed over winter and needs a good boost. I'll be letting it out for hay/silage and am thinking something like 18:6:12 @ 2 bags per acre. What about cut sward - would this have any longer term benefit for replacing nutrients?

I guess I should have it out by now? i'm not keen on spreading with this cold weather, surely some of the nitrogen might evaporate if growth rates low?

I have another pasture of well over 10 acres. How much should I be getting for letting it out for silage. Renter can fertilise themselves, grass cover is quite good and rich (farmers are loathe to let this kind of info slip even on boards I find! I just need a ballpark)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭99nsr125

pburns wrote: »
    A few questions:

No soil tests done or anything but heavily grazed over winter and needs a good boost. I'll be letting it out for hay/silage and am thinking something like 18:6:12 @ 2 bags per acre. What about cut sward - would this have any longer term benefit for replacing nutrients?

I guess I should have it out by now? i'm not keen on spreading with this cold weather, surely some of the nitrogen might evaporate if growth rates low?

I have another pasture of well over 10 acres. How much should I be getting for letting it out for silage. Renter can fertilise themselves, grass cover is quite good and rich (farmers are loathe to let this kind of info slip even on boards I find! I just need a ballpark)

2 bags might be suffecient for grazing to replace P and K but for silage
    without a soil test you'll need 3 bags of 0-7-30 and 2 bags of urea but it
    is getting late for urea, urea needs to go onto cool moist ground otherwise alot (30%)
    of the nitrogen can be lost to the atmosphere in place of urea use 3 bags of CAN+Sulpher.

Teagasc have articles and recommendations on their webpage although they can be hard to find sometimes

Also hay and silage equiment has an effect on compactiong the ground.

If the person taking the ground is to fertilise they could just lump on the nitrogen without any P or K and leave you in the dung.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

99nsr125 wrote: »
    2 bags might be suffecient for grazing to replace P and K but for silage
    without a soil test you'll need 3 bags of 0-7-30 and 2 bags of urea but it
    is getting late for urea, urea needs to go onto cool moist ground otherwise alot (30%)
    of the nitrogen can be lost to the atmosphere in place of urea use 3 bags of CAN+Sulpher.

Teagasc have articles and recommendations on their webpage although they can be hard to find sometimes

Also hay and silage equiment has an effect on compactiong the ground.

If the person taking the ground is to fertilise they could just lump on the nitrogen without any P or K and leave you in the dung.

down south conditions are perfect for urea. according to met our soil temp in cork is 7.9 degrees coupled with it bucketing down meaning theres no lack of moisture. looking at the forecast urea will be fine for at least another two weeks.

Advertisement