Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you revising/learning?

• 01-05-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭

really don now where to start with revision atm. 4 weeeks and a lot of revision to be done where and how do i start?? also anyone doing optometry(DIT):P? or maths science(NUIG), undenominated science(NUIG), undenominated engineering(NUIG) or computer science(NUIG)? I dont know anone doing either of them and their my choices in that kind of order ish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Me neither tbh.
    Timetables never suit me so Im just going along with all the questions we get at school and then learning that chapter in a subject knida thing.
    Some teachers have timetables made for their particular subjects so I guess I'll stick to them and then do my own thing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I go with the flow as such. Do the work we're prescribed in class and hope it'll be enough come June! I think now is the time to start doing lots of exam questions if I was to revise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I used to have a timetable but I never follow it so it's been abandoned. Now I just have a list of things I want to cover in each subject and work on different subjects each day. I usually write things down then I might try and remember them in my head saying them over and over again until I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've got an awful habit of spending ages writing out notes and not learning them... That's pretty much all I'm doing atm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've got an awful habit of spending ages writing out notes and not learning them... That's pretty much all I'm doing atm :(

I do the same and I'm still working with the textbooks or sample answers for most things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭afc4life

justBlake wrote: »
    really don now where to start with revision atm. 4 weeeks and a lot of revision to be done where and how do i start?? also anyone doing optometry(DIT):P? or maths science(NUIG), undenominated science(NUIG), undenominated engineering(NUIG) or computer science(NUIG)? I dont know anone doing either of them and their my choices in that kind of order ish

Yeah Im hopefully doing Computer Science in NUIG if everything goes to plan!!! If not ill just end up doing Arts in galway :/ :P

I always do that as well... really need to stop, since its really to close to the exams!! :(:/ I Need to actually learn them off at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

justBlake wrote: »

Mathematical science NUIG :D Actually cannot wait for it. :)

Me, well, I just write out my own notes and learn them off. That's it really :L And it also helps to exam papers in the time frame so you get used to the pressure.
    Well, I suppose you can't learn off things for every subject, but then again maths and applied maths come naturally to me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

For the final two weeks before the exam and the month of exams itself have yourself a simple timetable. Id est,

Week -1
    Monday: "Revise English - Hamlet. Revise Maths P1 - Q1-4"
    Week 0 (As in 0 weeks to go):

Week 1:

Monday: "Revise English Paper II - Hamlet + 4 poets"
    Tuesday: "Revise English Paper II - Rest of poetry + comparative."
    Wednesday: "English Paper I - Final revision for English Paper II"
    Thursday: "English Paper II - Final revision for Maths PI"

Don't bother with time slots. Set yourself objectives and stick to them. Use the strikeout tool on MS Word to put a line through tasks and exams you've completed (The feeling of crossing off a finished exam is ineffably great :p).

As for now, i'd highly recommend you use the first half of this month to make "Quick revision guides" for subjects like English. These are short (Mine was six pages long) notes to help you gather your thoughts on the morning of Paper II. To give you an idea of what I mean here's a small extract from the material I made last year:
    Poetry
    Eavan Boland
    • Contemporary Irish Poet. Her poetry gave a voice to people who previously were not represented in poetry.
    • She wrote of domestic everyday situations in the suburbs. A novel style of poetry.
    The War Horse
    • A poem expressing shame and guilt at the apathy of Southern Ireland towards The Troubles of the North.
    • War and conflict is symbolised in the horse as it trods through suburbia. War and conflict appears on the doorstep of the apathetic Irish people and they do nothing but “hide behind the subterfuge of curtains”.
    • The damage the horse causes is “of distant interest” and is only “A rose which now will never climb”. Lives are being snuffed in the north and to the apathetic amongst us, it is of distant interest.
    Stylistic:
    • Metaphorical language. Horse (War), destruction of garden (Battlefield), rose (Soldier).
    • Clip, clop, casual onomatopoeia
    • Iron of his shoes as he stamps death like a mint on the innocent coinage of earth.
    • You might say, only a crocus, its bulbous head blown from growth, one of the screamless dead.
    Essay plans:
    Hamlet: A hero or a villain?
    1. Mention complexity. Heroic and villainous characteristics. Hamlet is Machiavellian in that his ends are heroic but his means are villainous.
    2. Discuss nobility and heroism of Hamlet. Mention his loyalty to his father and how he has no regard for his own life in pursuing the revenge mandate. Mention his grave brawl with Laertes.
    3. Discuss his villainy. Cruel and sardonic speech. Explosive impassioned speech after periods of inner conflict and self-reproach. Diatribes directed at the two women of the play rather than the one who truly wronged him.
    4. Discuss the ambiguity of his actions “Will be cruel, only to be kind”. “Get Thee to a nunnery” is lashing but perhaps a command for her to escape the corruption of Denmark.
    5. Conclude with Hamlet is a multi-faceted character e.t.c.

Comparative analysis
    Intertwinement of texts and comparison is more important than precise textual details.

Important notes on each text
    Setting DAL:
    Ballybeg, 1930s Donegal. Industrial revolution. Poverty. Unemployment. Marginalisation. Catholic Church. Spinsters, out of wedlock.
    Setting BE:
    Durham, N.England. Suburban council housing. Recession. Unemployment and poverty. Severity of thatcherism. Miner’s strikes. Casual police presence.
    Setting Lamb:
    Multiple settings. London and West of Ireland 1970s. Sectarianism. Industrial school in a harsh setting. Imprisonment, impenetrable and inescapable “home”. In the UK, freedom modernity and danger.

Poverty DAL:
    Kate is the only true wage earner and her job is threatened. Rose/Agnes lose their jobs.
    Costumes and setting highlights austerity. Lean meals.
    Poverty BE:
    Jackie/Tony on strike. 50p boxing lessons are a struggle to sustain. Houses are poor and austere in furnishings. Pawning of wife’s jewellery. Burning of piano during lean Christmas.
    Poverty Lamb:
    Boys of the home are from poor backgrounds. Begging on the streets. Old dirty clothing. No luxuries provided. Michael from a poor but happy rural background. Little evidence of prosperity.

It's very easy to just "bomb out" on the morning of Paper II and forget important points. A guide like that will keep it fresh in your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I do my homework each day and three questions from three different subjects. Have a timetable for that. I also take a full day off each week and will continue to do so, I was getting far too tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just a bit of everything, lots of full papers and then correcting them. Need to get a move on with English though, its just so time consuming to study for. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm still at the writing notes out stage for most subjects. :o Doing exam questions when I can too for everything bar Irish and English (the thought of doing English essays is awful)! :cool:

Advertisement