Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way - walking on roads?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

All,

We're planning to attempt the Wicklow Way this weekend (Glendalough to Marlay Park). How much of the Way requires walking on roads?

We tried walking some of the Dublin Mountain Way recently but frankly the bits that were on the road were terrifying (blind corners, speeding cars etc) and we gave up and doubled back so we're trying to avoid roads as much as possible.

If theres any particular section that would achieve this, I'd be grateful to know. Unfortunately we don't have a car so wherever we start will have to be public-transport accessible.

Thanks a million in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Between Marley Park and Glendalough the majority of the way is off road, and such roads that you need to walk on are mostly minor lanes, with the exception of a stretch near Glencullen. Check out the route on the OSI site or buy the map, it's certainly a lot better than the Dublin Mountains Way. Will be doing the stretch between Marley Park and Glenmalure this summer so I'll be interested to hear how you get on-enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Road Bandit

Glendalough to Marley Park is about 48K, 11.5k of this will be on short sections of road. Nearly all roads are minor, as Benny Cake says. The section at Glencullen can be busy with all types of traffic, depends on the day of the week. I did this walk a few years ago while testing out capming kits and found the road sections ok, not too busy, not too fast either, so don't be put off by them. I have heard Kilternan is bad for fast traffic but Glencullen is a lot calmer.
    Just carrying walking poles seems to encourage motorists to give you a little more clerance. So its worth having a pair of them. Also a high-vis / yellow rain cover for your backpack makes you more visible on the road so its no harm to have one of them either.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

The Glencullen road section should be completed in about 15 minutes and whailst cars do travel quickly on this stretch the road is fairly straight so they should see you and visa versa. Locals are also used to walkers on this stretch.

Re public transport I think the only bus service to Glendalough (from Dublin at least) is the St Kevins service which does not arrive in Glendalough until about lunchtime (I think) so this will mean a late start from Glendalough.

Are you intending to do the route in one day or two? If you intend stopping then you are probably going to have a harder second day with such a late start from Glendalough.

Also bear in mind that the route is arguably harder doing it from South to North since all the larger hills come at the end of the walk.

Advertisement