Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to use data in France - any suggestions?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Going to be in Disneyland Paris in a few weeks and would love to be able to use my iPhone (primarily for Internet, but a few calls too).

I'd appreciate any advice on micro sims or good roaming add ons that might work. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sorbet wrote: »
    Going to be in Disneyland Paris in a few weeks and would love to be able to use my iPhone (primarily for Internet, but a few calls too).

I'd appreciate any advice on micro sims or good roaming add ons that might work. Thanks.

Hopefully Culabula will be along in a bit, he knows all the French tips and tricks for roaming....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I got a plan called "Vodafone Europe" which gives me 10GB in Europe for data for approx €40 Ex VAT. Had some problems when I first got it cause they were cutting me off until I texted to go over the €50 limit.

Seems to have been a good deal considering I had an unlimited data tariff for similar price but only ever used around 1.5GB per month on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I regret I missed this thread and the message alerting me to it from Whiterebel. Too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sorbet

culabula wrote: »

I regret I missed this thread and the message alerting me to it from Whiterebel. Too late?
    Afraid so but thanks for looking anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm gong for a week in August, would appreciate any tips for the best way to do a modest amount of data (c. 100MB) in a week. Just checking e-mails and using some apps that transfer small amounts of data.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm gong for a week in August, would appreciate any tips for the best way to do a modest amount of data (c. 100MB) in a week. Just checking e-mails and using some apps that transfer small amounts of data.

There are two things you could do: you could be armed with a Vodafone IRL PAYG SIM and if and when you use it, you will automatically be charged 2,99€ while in France for 50mb.

Personally , that wouldn't see me through an afternoon.

What I do is buy the dedicated iPad SIM from SFR. This costs 9,99€ and lasts 3 days. You can either use it in an iPad directly or in an iPhone (no hotspot) or in a Mifi. If using in the latter, then simply change the APN to websfr and it works.

TIP: start using the SIM around mid-day. Although it says "3 days" you actually get the day of activation PLUS 3 days. In addition, although it says "limited" it's actually super-fast and unlimited. Finally, buy two. Topping it up is a pain and poor value. Just use the first one until it dies, feck it away then insert the second one.

Afraid so but thanks for looking anyway!

Sorry: took my eye of the iBall for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are two things you could do: you could be armed with a Vodafone IRL PAYG SIM and if and when you use it, you will automatically be charged 2,99€ while in France for 50mb.

Is there a time limit on the 50MB? Say I used 90MB over the week, would that cost me 2 x 2.99 or does the 2.99 only cover up to 50MB in one 24 hour period?

I have an O2 PAYG SIMM with about €20 credit on it, could I use that and how would I be charged?
    What I do is buy the dedicated iPad SIM from SFR. This costs 9,99€ and lasts 3 days. You can either use it in an iPad directly or in an iPhone (no hotspot) or in a Mifi. If using in the latter, then simply change the APN to websfr and it works.

Could I use that SIM for data only in an Android phone? I plan to bring an older phone for voice and SMS with my regular Billpay O2 SIM but I want to have the ability to do a small amount of data from my Android but not pay the extortionate O2 data roaming charges.

Thanks for the advice.

coylemj wrote: »
    Is there a time limit on the 50MB? Say I used 90MB over the week, would that cost me 2 x 2.99 or does the 2.99 only cover up to 50MB in one 24 hour period?

I have an O2 PAYG SIMM with about €20 credit on it, could I use that and how would I be charged?

Could I use that SIM for data only in an Android phone? I plan to bring an older phone for voice and SMS with my regular Billpay O2 SIM but I want to have the ability to do a small amount of data from my Android but not pay the extortionate O2 data roaming charges.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it's 50MB each 24 hour period for 2,99€.

As long as you have an unlocked device, you can use that SIM in anything. It's meant to be for an iPad but it fact it works in myriad devices as long as you change the APN to websfr in any device other than iPad.

I'd leave the O2 SIM to one side -their roaming charges are crazy. I don't find 50MB for 2,99€ cheap (it used to be 0,39€ for 100MB!) but it's better than nothing. Personally though, I'd get the French SIM -better deal.

Advertisement