Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading the first page and the last page of very long threads

• 01-05-2012 3:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Who is with me? eh? eh?!
    And often skimming over those pages for the posts with a bazillian thanks.

Reading the first page and the last page of very long threads? 32 votes

I am with you Andy Carroll
    0%
    I am against you Andy Carroll
    68%
    ArmaniJeanssJesus WeptBig Nastywayne0308Scrambled eggRedzer719543261PerrinV2bocodaDoctor JimbobDavid086cocoshovelrxan90Kiva.DScummyManChuck Stonesaralou2011woodoomikemac1Mickey Dazzler 22 votes
    Three, it's the magic number
    15%
    WibbsTristramThefirestarterBigginsTonyandthewhale 5 votes
    You over complicated this poll Andy
    15%
    KieraooPabsooFromthetreesNiallFHLocal_Chap 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just me then I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The night is dark and full of terrors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I tend to do the same,I'd be all day reading the thread otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Go to post of the day and then take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

You don't want to get into the whole thanks scene because it will actually drive you mental - the demise of many a youth...

I consciously seek no thanks, most of the time just to be safe. Get somethin off your chest, by all means but never look for thanks. And don't take a cue from those that lazily did and did duly recieve, in abundance due to status, for instance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can't make me eat mushrooms Brandy Farrell. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If it's a match day thread i tend to go to the last page as it is most up to date and work backwards, especially if there is controversy and some of the posters have their knickers in a twist.

If a thread is good enough, I would read it start to finish. As for thanks, I do this on the mobile so I usually have the post read before I see the thanks. As well as that, the quantity of thanks does not dictate the quality of the post, it could just be from Either a mod or big-named poster.

Don't go seeking to give nor get thanks, is what I meant. Not with the post, but with your thoughts.. only then will you have the freedom to post and thank what you like anyhow without it smacking of utter thank whore desperation, daniel sans now get back to waxing down my deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Don't go seeking to give nor get thanks, is what I meant. Not with the post, but with your thoughts.. only then will you have the freedom to post and thank what you like anyhow without it smacking of utter thank whore desperation, daniel sans now get back to waxing down my deck.

Man what the fck are you on about

Are you only up? Catch me tomorrow ill deal with you. Tagged for reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Depends, sometimes if the first and last pages are vastly different (like a game of Chinese Whispers) I'll browse through to see how the thread got derailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'll read the first page and second page.

I'll skim the third page if there's anything interesting.
    If there's something interesting on the third page I'll read the fourth page.
    If there's something inteteresting on the fourth page I'll read the fifth, else I'll skim the fifth. Same with sixth page. If nothing interesting presents itself on the sixth page I'll skip to the end, else I'll continue on with my Skim/Read routine.

Over 2 million simulations have demonstrated this to be the most efficient method of browsing AH.

But it all falls to shit if the first page is the last page. If that's the case I just get into the fetal position and cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Where are the aforementioned Brazilians???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tl;dr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Who is with me? eh? eh?!
    irish-stew wrote: »
    tl;dr
    Ok, i just tried your method......
    But now I don't understand what's going on!!? :mad:

hi everyone i haven't bothered reading the thread so what i'm posting has probably been said already but i thought i would post my contribution because i'm so special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Am I the only one who actually reads all of the posts in a thread then?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Who is with me? eh? eh?!

Yeah after readng ^^^ the posts above mine here I think you over-complicated things Andy Carroll so that's my vote, you over-complicated this poll :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hey guys, I didn't take the time to read the thread so dunno if anyone said this but I'm gonna make this post in anyway 'cause my posts are important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

ElleEm wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually reads all of the posts in a thread then?!

You're on the dole, aren't you??

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Haven't read any of this, what's it about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im with you. Would I be alone in saying that I read threads from the last page back also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

I only read the MOD WARNING post.
    That's a sure sign that things have got interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

*Placeholder

I'll be back before the last page? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I love reading the first page with a simple questions or posts and a few reasonable replies then skip to page 17 or whatever page far on and it's turned into a huge debate with lengthy posts from users with their knickers in a twist usually about something completely unrelated to the OP!

Does the Chaos Theory apply to online forums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hitler and Stalin were atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

I've read this whole thread,so do I get a medal or a biscuit,anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm often tempted to do that, but my mild OCD stops me. As does the fact that if I think I'm going to post in a thread I want to make sure I've read all the posts so I don't embarrass myself by repeating someone else's point or such.

I do skim over a lot of posts though, especially if I can predict what the post will be due to the poster or the thread (usually one on a divisive topic where 90% of the posts are diametrically-opposed positions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I tend to avoid long threads unless I've been involved in them from early on. Fecked if I'm gonna read through 30 pages of something I have a vague interest in to make a point that nobody really cares about and has more than likely already been mentioned.

On the other hand on a relatively small thread, like say a 5 pager, I often read page 1, skip to page 5 to see how the direction of the thread is going, then something catches my eye on a quote so I go back to page 4 then 3 then 2 in that order! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ok, i just tried your method......
    But now I don't understand what's going on!!? :mad:

Well my comment was pure sarcasim.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cliffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Huh?

Advertisement