Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone parked in my reserved space

Options
  • 01-05-2012 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a marked reserved off-street parking to go with my apartment.

Some idiot parked there before my husband got home. We blocked them in with our car most of the evening, but moved our car before we went to bed (as us blocking the trespasser also blocked neighboring car spaces). Car is still there now.

This has happened before (not same car) but person was only there a couple of hours so we could confront them when they had to buzz our apartment (because we blocked them in with our car).

Hopefully this idiot will move the car today, but I'm wondering what can I do about this problem? Other threads have said to call my management company and see if they have champers but that is not much bloody use because the car is still in my space then!!

Are there private towing companies in Dublin that will remove illegally parked cars? When I lived in New Zealand all it took was a quick call to one of a number of private companies - the trespasser would then have to pay $200 to get their car released from a pound (located so
    somewhere really inconvenient).

Grrrr this really makes me cross! Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Victor wrote: »

Good idea but would the management company not object to me placing this in what is a common area (even though space is specifically allocated to my apartment)?

And how would I install it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Yes, they would most likely object if they are any use, in fact they could hire a 3rd party to remove it and then bill you for all restoration works as well as levy a charge depending on your lease.

You only option is to speak with the management company but I would image the last thing they want is people taking unilateral action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

id put a note on the windscreen and record the number plate. If they do It again go to clamper or mgt company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Put a note on the windscreen letting them know not to do it again. Invite them to call yiu so you can keep neighbourly. If they do it again, let air out of two tyres as punishment. If you're bothered, get a traffic cone and leave it there when yiu're not using the space. It'll deter most random parkers although they could just pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Marcusm wrote: »
    Put a note on the windscreen letting them know not to do it again. Invite them to call yiu so you can keep neighbourly. If they do it again, let air out of two tyres as punishment. If you're bothered, get a traffic cone and leave it there when yiu're not using the space. It'll deter most random parkers although they could just pick it up.

Letting the air out might be construed as criminal damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yeah i wouldn't be at that just yet, especially if your apartment no is on the space - they'll know where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Call the management company and tell them to sort it out, that's their job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Marcusm wrote: »

Letting the air out of someone's wheels is considered to be criminal damage- and while it would be a civil matter, could have you ending up with a court date. Lets be constructive folk, no more illegal suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I had an issue with parking in my apt complex last week also - However, where we live there are still lots of empty apartments and so lots of still free spaces - I'm not sure if this is the case where you live or if parking is at a premium as it used to be where my sister used to live.

If there are free spaces (the apt assigned to the spot is unoccupied) just park in a different sopt, leave a note on your windscreen with your number in case you're in someone elses spot and leave a note on the car parked in your spot pointing out that it is reserved parking and please don't park there again.
    If there aren't spare spaces, I think you would need to contact the management company to enforce the parking rules. A letter to residents pointing out the fact that the spaces are reserved and not for visitor parking etc might do the trick. I'm not sure what they can do if a car is parked in a marked spot but I do know that they can clamp you for blocking a car in as technically, you are not in an official parking space.
    Also remember, that these people are your neighbours and you have to live in very close proximity to them. And while I get how frustrating it is for your parking spot to be taken, if you make enemies with your neighbours because of it, it could make your life a whole lot worse.
    Best of luck
    A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Onwardandupwar

I used to have this problem I was renting a house and going to buy it the house was beautiful and when we moved it there was 3 spots right outside the front door. These houses had no front gardens. So the spaces where for my house and the houses either side of me. So we were moving in and the 3 spots where full we were trying to get the van in to unload. The next door neighbour had taking up my spot and there own we moved in and the car was left there for Afew days so I had to park around the corner. So eventually they moved the car the problem I didn't like was there spot was outside my front window. Now lots of people in this estate just parked on the road. So my girlfriend got her car and we used to park her car outside his front window where there wasn't a spot as such but the owner used to park visiting cars there so we started using it. And do u no what I hope I drove them mad because every day they got out of there cars outside my front window and used to stare in my sitting room so my advice is start parking in the space that they are visiting feck them and let the neighbour no that it's not on

deck them
    What was just said about advocating illegal behaviour?

Nope my appoligys please edit that was ment to say and feck then.

You know where the edit button is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it really clearly signed? Maybe just putting a traffic cone with a "private space" sign on it when you don't use space will be enough.
    Where I used to live a lady used cones to mark the spot outside her house on a public street, this was enough to deter people*.

* yes it was a public street and blah blah but goes to show that it works.

Good idea but would the management company not object to me placing this in what is a common area (even though space is specifically allocated to my apartment)?
    Well, you would do it in consultation with the management company.
    And how would I install it?!
    It comes with instructions. I'm sure most handymen would have the tools to fit it. Otherwise, I'm sure there are recommended installers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I used to have this problem I was renting a house and going to buy it the house was beautiful and when we moved it there was 3 spots right outside the front door. These houses had no front gardens. So the spaces where for my house and the houses either side of me. So we were moving in and the 3 spots where full we were trying to get the van in to unload. The next door neighbour had taking up my spot and there own we moved in and the car was left there for Afew days so I had to park around the corner. So eventually they moved the car the problem I didn't like was there spot was outside my front window. Now lots of people in this estate just parked on the road. So my girlfriend got her car and we used to park her car outside his front window where there wasn't a spot as such but the owner used to park visiting cars there so we started using it. And do u no what I hope I drove them mad because every day they got out of there cars outside my front window and used to stare in my sitting room so my advice is start parking in the space that they are visiting feck them and let the neighbour no that it's not on

Unless it's in the lease and deeds of the house that the spaces are specifically for those houses then you have no automatic entitlement to a spot outside your door. The OP mentions a reserved space with the apartment number on it, that's very different from spaces outside a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

By who? :confused::confused::confused:

It is not criminal damage by any stretch of the imagination. Some people watch too much Law & Order.

However, letting out the air will just make it harder for the owner to move his car from the OP's parking spot. It will also invite retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Pkiernan wrote: »
    By who? :confused::confused::confused:

By the law
    "to damage" includes.
    ( a ) in relation to property other than data (but including a storage medium in which data are kept), to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of,

athtrasna wrote: »

Unless it's in the lease and deeds of the house that the spaces are specifically for those houses then you have no automatic entitlement to a spot outside your door. The OP mentions a reserved space with the apartment number on it, that's very different from spaces outside a house.

Sorry u have miss understood me the 3 spots outside my door have my house number and the two houses either side of me number

• Advertisement
Advertisement