Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obligatory, wage-affecting performance reviews for teachers - a great idea!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

The inspector visits both of your classes and appraises your competency in each. If the examiner deems you competent and sees that Class A's success is down to your teaching and that Class B's failure is down to their attitude then you'll pass the exam/inspection and remain unaffected.

To you (and to many) it would make sense to put responsibility on the shoulders of those causing hassle eg the students in Class B. It doesn't work that way in education though. Students come to schools to be taught, sometime they don't want to learn, sometimes they cause trouble, sometimes they hit teachers, sometimes they're bored. This does not mean that an inspector can write in his report 'Class B are failures', never mind say it! The job of the education system is to teach children come hell or high water, and if you go down the road of saying a class is a failure, then you're basically stamping the students in that class with a 'FAILURE' for the rest of their lives. Aside from the awful label for the students involved, I'd say calling a class a failure would open up a huge can of worms (legally speaking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

In fairness I can't even see the DES going for this one. Stupid argument imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Feeona wrote: »
    To you (and to many) it would make sense to put responsibility on the shoulders of those causing hassle eg the students in Class B. It doesn't work that way in education though. Students come to schools to be taught, sometime they don't want to learn, sometimes they cause trouble, sometimes they hit teachers, sometimes they're bored. This does not mean that an inspector can write in his report 'Class B are failures', never mind say it! The job of the education system is to teach children come hell or high water, and if you go down the road of saying a class is a failure, then you're basically stamping the students in that class with a 'FAILURE' for the rest of their lives. Aside from the awful label for the students involved, I'd say calling a class a failure would open up a huge can of worms (legally speaking).
    Obviously the inspector isn't going to write "Class B are failures. There's no hope of success for any one of them.".

What I actually said was that the inspector would say their relatively poor performance and poor teacher reviews resulted from their own attitudes and not the teacher's incompetency.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

ntlbell wrote: »
    you get the same problem here.

how do you get rid of the underperforming teacher?

I was responding to the original point of performance related pay being applied to teachers. Considering the points in the article I linked to and all the views expressed so far, are you in favour of performance related pay and could you detail how it would have any positive effect on education.

I would be happy to detail my thoughts on how to start fixing what I see as the main problems in the education system after this.

Obviously the inspector isn't going to write "Class B are failures. There's no hope of success for any one of them.".

What I actually said was that the inspector would say their relatively poor performance and poor teacher reviews resulted from their own attitudes and not the teacher's incompetency.

An inspector wouldn't be able to write that down either. It's the same thing ie the DES would be blaming the students for not getting their education with the added implication that the teacher doesn't have to bother improving his/her teaching techniques with them because they have bad attitudes. It's hardly fair and actually lends itself to teachers not caring about those students who have bad attitudes because 'ah well the inspector will let me off'. Which is the opposite of what a review should be doing.

Add to that, the Freedom of Information Act would allow for anyone to see those records. Could you imagine being out of work, out of luck, out of cash etc and coming across one of these reports about yourself and your class? This was the can of worms I was referring to earlier. What's to stop you from blaming the DES for what's happened in your life so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was responding to the original point of performance related pay being applied to teachers. Considering the points in the article I linked to and all the views expressed so far, are you in favour of performance related pay and could you detail how it would have any positive effect on education.
    Can you define 'performance related'? Are we talking about the number of exam passes, I think that has been shown to be an undesirable basis for performance.

Are we talking about an assessment by a principal? Better, but still it would take a few years to establish whether a teacher's results were regularly against (ie worse than) the trend of other teachers results with the same class.

This raises the question of whether you can compare a maths teacher with a pe teacher, an Irish teacher with an art teacher.

Let's establish what 'performance' could be applied fairly and across all subjects and sectors.

An inspector wouldn't be able to write that down either. It's the same thing ie the DES would be blaming the students for not getting their education with the added implication that the teacher doesn't have to bother improving his/her teaching techniques with them because they have bad attitudes. It's hardly fair and actually lends itself to teachers not caring about those students who have bad attitudes because 'ah well the inspector will let me off'. Which is the opposite of what a review should be doing.

Add to that, the Freedom of Information Act would allow for anyone to see those records. Could you imagine being out of work, out of luck, out of cash etc and coming across one of these reports about yourself and your class? This was the can of worms I was referring to earlier. What's to stop you from blaming the DES for what's happened in your life so far?
    Ok then. "The teacher is competently dealing with a difficult class." with no expansion.

It's hardly that insurmountable of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

Not by students' perfomances but by lack of engagement on the teacher's side. I teach part-time in schools and universities and I can tell you from observing other classes that there is some really bad lazy teachers out there and they surely could do with a bit of a real-life test of their skills and work ethics.
    There is some very good teachers as well. But at the same time they get the same wage as some Mary-scratching, child-hating lazy b*****ds...

I do fully support a move of making teachers go through perfomance reviews - not necessarily dependent on student pass rates but dependent on experts/principals/other teachers observing random classes and giving evaluation reports to the HEA...

In any other private job you have to do performance reviews, why not in schools and universities??? If you're a good teacher you have nothing to worry about and maybe the bad teachers will be scared into broadening their horizons and working harder!!!

Having " principals/other teachers observing random classes and giving evaluation reports" as you suggest would absolutely DECIMATE staff relations in any school, in my opinion.

I work in a school where the principal and the staff (of all ages)
    co-operate, collaborate, encourage and assist one another. I feel that to implement your suggestion would engender mistrust, resentment and suspicion all-round, and destroy the atmosphere in the school. This, in turn, would naturally cause discontent which would automatically filter through to the students, in one way or another.

Sometimes an idea that sounds great in theory (such as this) can have very far-reaching, disasterous consequences in practice.

Yes, I do agree that there are teachers out there not doing the biz.Let's face it...we could all name one or two we'd like to see "caught out".

However, to implement a system of surveillance by colleagues, as you suggest, may not necessarily "weed out" these individuals. Au contraire, it would create an atmosphere of suspicion among the conscientious, motivated teachers that may undermine their confidence and dedication.

Remember, it's possible that the principals and "other teachers" that you suggest should be monitoring other teachers..........they themselves - or their friends on the staff -could be the lazy b*****ds you want to get rid of.

Ok then. "The teacher is competently dealing with a difficult class." with no expansion.

It's hardly that insurmountable of an issue.

I see it as a huge issue because essentially what you have is a class written off with the explanation that they're 'difficult'. Dressed up nicely or not, it's still a label, a label appointed by a department that is responsible for the education of every child in this country (unless home tutored or sent to private school).

Working as a primary school teacher, I've beared witness to a child kicking and punching a teacher, and saying to another teacher that he was going to 'break up her baby'. These are just two things in a long list of misdemeanours. Yet it's practically impossible to expel him. The reasoning behind the difficulty in expelling troublesome children is that every child is entitled to an education, and the rules have to be followed to the letter of the law to ensure that every avenue, every possibility for bringing troublesome children back on line, have been exhausted. It would be the same for a difficult class. Writing down in a report 'The teacher is competently dealing with a difficult class' (with the particular weight it would assign to a teacher's performance in this imaginary circumstance) is basically saying 'No need to try harder'. It actually goes against the grain of what teaching is all about.

• Advertisement

I see it as a huge issue because essentially what you have is a class written off with the explanation that they're 'difficult'. Dressed up nicely or not, it's still a label, a label appointed by a department that is responsible for the education of every child in this country (unless home tutored or sent to private school).

Working as a primary school teacher, I've beared witness to a child kicking and punching a teacher, and saying to another teacher that he was going to 'break up her baby'. These are just two things in a long list of misdemeanours. Yet it's practically impossible to expel him. The reasoning behind the difficulty in expelling troublesome children is that every child is entitled to an education, and the rules have to be followed to the letter of the law to ensure that every avenue, every possibility for bringing troublesome children back on line, have been exhausted. It would be the same for a difficult class. Writing down in a report 'The teacher is competently dealing with a difficult class' (with the particular weight it would assign to a teacher's performance in this imaginary circumstance) is basically saying 'No need to try harder'. It actually goes against the grain of what teaching is all about.
    Fine then. No reports whatsoever. Just make it a practical exam where the inspectors mark the teacher out of 100 on their performance and adds a few suggestions at the bottom of the page outlining where improvements need to be made if the teacher fails.

Don't tell me there's something wrong with that too?

Having " principals/other teachers observing random classes and giving evaluation reports" as you suggest would absolutely DECIMATE staff relations in any school, in my opinion.

I agree with this, especially about having other teachers observe my work in order to review my perfomance. When I worked in an office, my team leader reviewed my work, the colleagues on my team didn't review my work. I wouldn't have accepted somebody at the same level as myself 'reviewing' my performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

looksee wrote: »
    I think teacher assessment is a good idea but I think involving the students in assessing teachers would be very bad for discipline in the long run. I can just imagine lippy louise trying to use 'I'll give you a bad report!' as a smart remark in class. It does not matter that she has been weighted out of the equation, just giving her the ammunition is a bad idea.

If you look on ratemyteacher.ie, where there is no accountability or tracking or control, you'll find that by and large, the vast majority of ratings and comments are sensible and measured. There are of course a few who don't have the maturity to give a sensible answer, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Funnily enough, before the ratemysolicitor.ie website got pulled down, the comments on it from the adult audience showed far less maturity than the comments on teachers from teenagers.

Feedback from students should be an important part of measuring teacher results, though the OPs original proposal is badly flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DES inspectors have the power to remove a teacher.

Based on what critera?

how do they judge underperforming?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you look on ratemyteacher.ie, where there is no accountability or tracking or control, you'll find that by and large, the vast majority of ratings and comments are sensible and measured. There are of course a few who don't have the maturity to give a sensible answer, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Mainly because any teacher who took it seriously and took any notice of the silly site probably rated themselves!! I know one teacher in a grind school who boosted their ratings this way.How sad is that??Many responses were also removed from it. An anonymous internet site is not exactly a professional measure,now is it?

Fine then. No reports whatsoever. Just make it a practical exam where the inspectors mark the teacher out of 100 on their performance and adds a few suggestions at the bottom of the page outlining where improvements need to be made if the teacher fails.

Don't tell me there's something wrong with that too?

I work as a teacher. I'm giving you my opinion based on my experience, so I would greatly appreciate it if you saw my posts as such.

RE your suggestion, I'm reading your posts with interest because it's always good to have a fresh eye with regard to teacher performance and you don't seem the axe grinder type! However, if you mark a teacher on performance, then we're back to the problem of teacher with not so excellent class B against teacher with excellent class A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Based on what critera?

how do they judge underperforming?
    In the same way as they judge teachers during the dip year or at incidental visits, I'd imagine.

I work as a teacher. I'm giving you my opinion based on my experience, so I would greatly appreciate it if you saw my posts as such.

RE your suggestion, I'm reading your posts with interest because it's always good to have a fresh eye with regard to teacher performance and you don't seem the axe grinder type! However, if you mark a teacher on performance, then we're back to the problem of teacher with not so excellent class B against teacher with excellent class A

why is it we can judge performance on just about every single profesion imaginable bar teaching?

Why can't it be average?

If there's 3 6th class primary teachers in a school in tallaght with 90 students avergaing 30 students per class.

just base the performance on the average?

it's unlikley one teacher gets 30 rotten apples and one gets 30 brain surgeons.

come on this is not rocket science teachers teach people all day long to find soloutions yet can't find one for their own problem???

this is just crazy.

In the same way as they judge teachers during the dip year or at incidental visits, I'd imagine.

you said there's no way for you to be judged on performance.

then you say the DES can get rid of a teacher on the same.

yet no way to judge it.?

where does it end.

Mainly because any teacher who took it seriously and took any notice of the silly site probably rated themselves!! I know one teacher in a grind school who boosted their ratings this way.How sad is that??Many responses were also removed from it. An anonymous internet site is not exactly a professional measure,now is it?

No indeed, it's not exactly a professional measure. I wasn't suggesting that an anonymous internet site would be the appropriate feedback mechanism. I was simply pointing out that most students give sensible feedback most of the time. With an in-school system, the feedback would be reasonably reliable.

Who knows the teachers better than the students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

yet no way to judge it.?

where does it end.

Rather than trolling the thread, why not offer a suggestion as to how teachers performance can be measured? Do you have any feasible suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

why is it we can judge performance on just about every single profesion imaginable bar teaching?

Because you probably don't have the same variables in any other job. I know a teacher at the moment who is trying to get a 'self-harming' student to show up for school and another who is fearful in case one student might get less than an A1 in honours Irish in the Leaving Cert. People outside teaching hate to hear that as they are tbound up in the whole I'll-appraise-your-performance-and-we'll-deal-with-the-sackings-later mentality. But that's the reality. You get huge variations in one class never mind across schools.

(Incidentally, as someone who worked outside of teaching for some time I know that it is a fallacy that all jobs/professions are subjected to really critical reviews of performance. Many in my experience were pointless exercises just going through the motions - others where it didn't happen at all; there either was enough business to keep you going or there wasn't.)

yet no way to judge it.?

where does it end.
    I said that linking pay to pupil performance in state exams/standarised tests was not possible, as there are too many variables.

No indeed, it's not exactly a professional measure. I wasn't suggesting that an anonymous internet site would be the appropriate feedback mechanism. I was simply pointing out that most students give sensible feedback most of the time. With an in-school system, the feedback would be reasonably reliable.

Who knows the teachers better than the students?
    From what age?Junior infants?How do you arrive at the idea that most students would be reasonable in giving feedback?

I do. But you're focusing too much on minor issues like how reports might be perceived instead of the major picture which is the need for self-regulation.
    Well no, not really. If Class A are all A1 students and think their teacher is great, all well and good. If Class B are struggling and think their teacher is great, again all well and good.

If Class C are struggling and don't think their teacher is doing a particularly good job, this can be communicated to the the Department of Education via a student review. They'll flag the teacher for a series of three inspections over the following term and see for themselves how the teacher is performing. The student's opinions will have absolutely no bearing on how the teacher's performance is assessed by the inspector.

The elegance of the system I suggest lies in the fact that it doesn't put teachers at the mercy of their student's opinions. It's the inspector (Who will be another teacher) who ultimately decides whether or not a teacher is fit to teach or not.

It's not that different to any other profession really. If a Dentist's patients think they're terrible at their job they'll inform the dental council. The dental council goes in to see for themselves and they take appropriate action to protect the name and image of dentists in Ireland.

If anything, a system of self-regulation like the one i'm suggesting would greatly improve the public's perception of teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

gaeilgebeo wrote: »

yet no way to judge it.?

where does it end.

Rather than trolling the thread, why not offer a suggestion as to how teachers performance can be measured? Do you have any feasible suggestions?
    If you have a problem with a post please report it rather than calling someone a troll on thread.

ntlbell please stop badgering people for answers if you are not willing to provide any of your own. It's disrupting the thread.

As usual please do not reply to this warning on thread. PM me if you need to clarify anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

What about if Class D are struggling, don't want to be in school, have parents who tell the teachers that they "don't give a f*ck" about school, and have a teacher who's working to the bone to get them to pass exams? And decide that it would be good craic to give the teacher poor reports and get them in trouble, cos sure it's not like teachers do any work anyway!

E.T. wrote: »
    What about if Class D are struggling, don't want to be in school, have parents who tell the teachers that they "don't give a f*ck" about school, and have a teacher who's working to the bone to get them to pass exams? And decide that it would be good craic to give the teacher poor reports and get them in trouble, cos sure it's not like teachers do any work anyway!
    Class C = Class D

Read my post again. The student's opinions are not taken in to account when deciding whether or not to pursue the 5-15-25-Termination/Resit route.

Other teachers (Inspectors) know exactly how teaching works and they're well able to tell a good teacher doing the best job possible with an incredibly challenging class and a bad teacher completely out of their depth and exacerbating a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

If Class C are struggling and don't think their teacher is doing a particularly good job

What I posted in my example of the fictional (but sadly very factual) Class D is that they "decide that it would be good craic to give the teacher poor reports and get them in trouble". Not the same thing at all.

You cannot say class A are better than class b or vice-versa. There is a classroom dynamic, one child may set off a few others in being giddy or disruptive, so the day that child is elsewhere, the class may present differently at primary level.One child may need a larger amount of one-to-one or a greater deal of scaffolding in some subject areas than others and so on.There is no such thing really, as a class,it is a group made up of 30 individuals which is why work must be differentiated and so on.

In secondary,the individual thing comes into play to a lesser extend in that children are following the same syllabus to a greater degree. Class A might do ok at, say, home ec. but might not be so hot in maths-even if you had all the same students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Class C = Class D

Read my post again. The student's opinions are not taken in to account when deciding whether or not to pursue the 5-15-25-Termination/Resit route.

Other teachers (Inspectors) know exactly how teaching works and they're well able to tell a good teacher doing the best job possible with an incredibly challenging class and a bad teacher completely out of their depth and exacerbating a problem.

I think you are missing a point there whether bad reports from students get the inspectors called in or get pay docked it still has the effect of labelling a teacher bad whether it true or not. The fact that the inspectors are called in on possibly a good teacher with a group of students with an axe to grind would have a bad effect on the morale of the teacher or indeed start rumours etc.

My opinion on this before I am seen as anti inspection from the above paragraph.

I agree with you in principle but do not think that student reports as the basis of bringing in inspectors is the way to go.
    Someone mentioned ratemyteacher. They mentioned that most posts were balanced and generally good, however these good posts were generally from past students not current ones. Current ones can have an axe to grind. For example one week after I started in a school I got a comment on ratemyteacher that I was bossing everyone around the place etc. This was based on hall supervision 1 week after starting. Teenagers not always the most balanced, some are some are not.

From being a teacher I think the best way to go with all this is giving the principal the power. I do think that there should be random visits from management and this should be the basis of whether a teacher is up to the job or not. As someone said they know the staff, the kids, the problems etc. Ideal for the job.
    I would have no problem with a teacher at the same level as myself reviewing my lessons but I do know that I would be in the minority on this. Irish teachers need to open up a bit and not be so closed in.
    The only problem wiht using the principal I see is that any principal I know never has a minute during the day to even have a break sometimes, anytime they come into the staffroom they get jumped on by 10 teachers who have been waiting to see them, In the corridor every student wants to see them. The admin tasks of the principal would need to be looked at first for this to be a success.
    Obviously the DP could also be used.

• Advertisement

E.T. wrote: »
    What I posted in my example of the fictional (but sadly very factual) Class D is that they "decide that it would be good craic to give the teacher poor reports and get them in trouble". Not the same thing at all.
    Again, re-read my post. The student's opinions alone will not be able to "get teachers in trouble".
    You cannot say class A are better than class b or vice-versa. There is a classroom dynamic, one child may set off a few others in being giddy or disruptive, so the day that child is elsewhere, the class may present differently at primary level.One child may need a larger amount of one-to-one or a greater deal of scaffolding in some subject areas than others and so on.There is no such thing really, as a class,it is a group made up of 30 individuals which is why work must be differentiated and so on.
    The system i'm suggesting isn't very workable at primary level. It's really only suitable at secondary level.
    In secondary,the individual thing comes into play to a lesser extend in that children are following the same syllabus to a greater degree. Class A might do ok at, say, home ec. but might not be so hot in maths-even if you had all the same students.
    That's not really a big deal as the subjects will be taught by different teachers. But again, I think you may be misunderstanding the system i'm proposing. Teacher's won't be assessed on their student's grades. Their teaching ability is assessed by another teacher (Inspector) upon being flagged by the student review system.

From what age?Junior infants?How do you arrive at the idea that most students would be reasonable in giving feedback?

Why not Junior Infants - via an age appropriate feedback method of course.

seavill wrote: »
    I think you are missing a point there whether bad reports from students get the inspectors called in or get pay docked it still has the effect of labelling a teacher bad whether it true or not.
    Students have an incentive not to exaggerate. If it's found that the students returned bogus reviews just to try and get the teacher flagged they'll either have their review rights revoked or their reviews down weighted to something insignificant. There's also the fact that the reviews will be on a term-by-term basis. A bad review at the end Christmas that leads to a teacher being flagged would probably lead to inspections around February/March. It's not the best way of "getting" at a teacher.

Also, to completely eliminate the possibility of students abusing the system if the inspector finds that the teacher is doing an exceptionally good job they can be given a 5% pay rise. Good teachers get pay rises and bad teachers face reduction in pay and eventual termination from their post if they don't improve.

As for teachers who get their pay docked there's no question of it being "true or not" as they will have been assessed by an external inspector.
    The fact that the inspectors are called in on possibly a good teacher with a group of students with an axe to grind would have a bad effect on the morale of the teacher or indeed start rumours etc.
    If there's the possibility of a pay rise arising from the inspection, students with an axe to grind will be hesitant to try and abuse the system.
    From being a teacher I think the best way to go with all this is giving the principal the power. I do think that there should be random visits from management and this should be the basis of whether a teacher is up to the job or not. As someone said they know the staff, the kids, the problems etc. Ideal for the job.
    They're ideal for the job but i'd imagine the atmosphere in the staff room would be terrible. Collective resentment of the DoE inspectors is fine but causing teachers to resent their colleagues isn't a good idea.

Why not Junior Infants - via an age appropriate feedback method of course.
    Because a junior infant's view changes depending on what has happened in the last half hour, they don't really get the overall picture when they are four years of age.Hence, the child who says x is her best friend may well have y as a best friend by next break.

Students have an incentive not to exaggerate. If it's found that the students returned bogus reviews just to try and get the teacher flagged they'll either have their review rights revoked or their reviews down weighted to something insignificant. There's also the fact that the reviews will be on a term-by-term basis. A bad review at the end Christmas that leads to a teacher being flagged would probably lead to inspections around February/March. It's not the best way of "getting" at a teacher.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree in this one. I've seen you explain this a few different times but still don't think it makes sense ( in my head anyway )

Also, to completely eliminate the possibility of students abusing the system if the inspector finds that the teacher is doing an exceptionally good job they can be given a 5% pay rise. Good teachers get pay rises and bad teachers face reduction in pay and eventual termination from their post if they don't improve.

So am I right in saying that a teacher who gets consistently ok reports so does not flag any inspection does not get the chance if the pay rise. In general there is a difference between a teacher who can keep kids happy and a good teacher. We all know one of those teachers who tries to be one if the lads to get liked by the kids. Generally works for non exam classes. May get found out at and of 3rd and 6th year but for the other 5 years kids think he's a legend regardless of how good a teacher is. Don't tell me this doesn't happen.

I still think the principal is the only way. They are management. Resentment from some staff is part if the job. But in reality as I think you said good teachers have nothing to worry about

As for teachers who get their pay docked there's no question of it being "true or not" as they will have been assessed by an external inspector.

If there's the possibility of a pay rise arising from the inspection, students with an axe to grind will be hesitant to try and abuse the system.

They're ideal for the job but i'd imagine the atmosphere in the staff room would be terrible. Collective resentment of the DoE inspectors is fine but causing teachers to resent their colleagues isn't a good idea.

Principal is there to manage not be everyone's best pall just like with the kids. The good kids like the principal in general. The bold ones don't. Again good teachers nothing to worry about principal appraisal is normal in other countries and other jobs. b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

looksee wrote: »
    I think teacher assessment is a good idea but I think involving the students in assessing teachers would be very bad for discipline in the long run. I can just imagine lippy louise trying to use 'I'll give you a bad report!' as a smart remark in class. It does not matter that she has been weighted out of the equation, just giving her the ammunition is a bad idea.
    A good teacher in that situation would tell Louise where to shove her bad feedback, dole out the discipline, shut her up and continue teaching the rest of the class. I'm sure the rest of the class will more than make up for the bad feedback if the teacher doesn't allow a few unruly students to take over a class.

seavill wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that a teacher who gets consistently ok reports so does not flag any inspection does not get the chance if the pay rise. In general there is a difference between a teacher who can keep kids happy and a good teacher. We all know one of those teachers who tries to be one if the lads to get liked by the kids. Generally works for non exam classes. May get found out at and of 3rd and 6th year but for the other 5 years kids think he's a legend regardless of how good a teacher is. Don't tell me this doesn't happen.
    In practice, this will never be a problem. Teachers teach a variety of classes. If they're useless at teaching but nice then they'll be reviewed accordingly by 3rd and 6th years and the inspector will see for themselves if they can teach or not.

As for pay rises, I see them as being a very rare occurrence used to mark out excellent teachers who are coping well with challenging students. Teachers teaching cooperative "non-problem" classes aren't doing anything out of the ordinary to a high standard aren't doing anything out of the ordinary.
    I still think the principal is the only way. They are management. Resentment from some staff is part if the job. But in reality as I think you said good teachers have nothing to worry about
    The principal is busy with other things. They can't spend their day supervising their teachers. Not only that but the whole idea behind my proposed system is that the inspectors are external so that the entire process is impartial.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »

I all ready have. please read the thread.

thanks

In practice, this will never be a problem. Teachers teach a variety of classes. If they're useless at teaching but nice then they'll be reviewed accordingly by 3rd and 6th years and the inspector will see for themselves if they can teach or not.

As for pay rises, I see them as being a very rare occurrence used to mark out excellent teachers who are coping well with challenging students. Teachers teaching cooperative "non-problem" classes aren't doing anything out of the ordinary to a high standard aren't doing anything out of the ordinary.

The principal is busy with other things. They can't spend their day supervising their teachers. Not only that but the whole idea behind my proposed system is that the inspectors are external so that the entire process is impartial.

Firstly I will say I am not against inspection by anyone in anyway but I do think your whole point is far too simplistic and not reality when it come to the day to day lives of teenagers.
    Yes that may seem very logical to us adults but from dealing with kids day in day out this is not as simple as you are making it out.
    Are you a teacher?

• Advertisement

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Because you probably don't have the same variables in any other job. I know a teacher at the moment who is trying to get a 'self-harming' student to show up for school and another who is fearful in case one student might get less than an A1 in honours Irish in the Leaving Cert. People outside teaching hate to hear that as they are tbound up in the whole I'll-appraise-your-performance-and-we'll-deal-with-the-sackings-later mentality. But that's the reality. You get huge variations in one class never mind across schools.

(Incidentally, as someone who worked outside of teaching for some time I know that it is a fallacy that all jobs/professions are subjected to really critical reviews of performance. Many in my experience were pointless exercises just going through the motions - others where it didn't happen at all; there either was enough business to keep you going or there wasn't.)

Just about every job has variations but we managge to deal with them]

I have all ready pointed out.

averages.

you don't have to base a pay increase on a single student.

peer review.

independant review.

a 360 approach with personal and perforamance related goals.

You take averages.

The teacher stays in the average of her peer group.

if it drops of it's investigated and if needs be monitored or put on "probation" then around we go again.

There is TONS of solutions. The issue I see is the teachers are not putting them forward as this would put the responsibility back on to them to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Just about every job has variations but we managge to deal with them]

I have all ready pointed out.

averages.

you don't have to base a pay increase on a single student.

peer review.

independant review.

a 360 approach with personal and perforamance related goals.

You take averages.

The teacher stays in the average of her peer group.

if it drops of it's investigated and if needs be monitored or put on "probation" then around we go again.

There is TONS of solutions. The issue I see is the teachers are not putting them forward as this would put the responsibility back on to them to perform.

I'm not being smart here but you just listed off various ways of doing it without adding any detail. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you but can you give some more detail on how this would actually work?

There has been plenty of examples on how it wouldn't. partyatmygaff gave a good overview of one way of how it might be implemented, although I don't really know if it could work.

I'd be interested to see what way you think could work best?

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I'm not being smart here but you just listed off various ways of doing it without adding any detail. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you but can you give some more detail on how this would actually work?

There has been plenty of examples on how it wouldn't. partyatmygaff gave a good overview of one way of how it might be implemented, although I don't really know if it could work.

I'd be interested to see what way you think could work best?

Obviously I haven't sat down with the board of education to discuss it. but I imagine like most large private companies there wouldn't be a one size fits all solution. but this shouldn't be a reason not to implement it.

for example, how you measure primary school teachers and secondary teachers will have to be different. how a 6th class teacher is reviewed against junior and high infant would have to be different.

but regardless of this it just means it's re quire's more design but not an excuse not to do it.

the examples if why it won't work don't hold water.

If you have 100k puplils how many are self harmers that don't go to school?

partyatmygaff's a very good solution and the reasons why it wont work again don't make sense.

It's a long time since I was in junior infants so I can't exactly remember what was taught. but for example lets say by the end of junior infants a child should be able to do X Y Z

we have a standard test at the end of the year or event random tests of students in a class.

so if we take 10 students and have 60% fail of that standard test. when the average is 80% or whatever the case maybe. this sets of a flag.

I'm just talking say junior infants here.

Then parent "survey" or scorecard. each parent posts of the scorecard for the teachers rating to the DOE.

If the average score for a teacher is 4

and you as a teacher get a 2.......

so we have a teacher with a 60% failure rate on the test and a 2 in her review card from the parents..

you don't need to be Eisenstein right?

Just going on what I'd like to also see with merit increases for teachers who go far above and beyond the call of duty which i know they're are a few but many who take credit.

So a teacher taking 8 hours a month for example to help teach GAA or ref a match or whatever and you have 40 teachers in a school 39 harping on about how much teachers do outside of teaching hours when the reality is one teacher is doing it. lets reward that teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

So a teacher taking 8 hours a month for example to help teach GAA or ref a match or whatever .... lets reward that teacher.
    Huh? Reward them for their hobbies?
    Why not go the whole hog and pay more to teachers who show a good catholic example and are seen at mass every week?

Gurgle wrote: »
    Huh? Reward them for their hobbies?
    Why not go the whole hog and pay more to teachers who show a good catholic example and are seen at mass every week?

A teacher reffing a GAA game for a class or school team at 6pm on a wed. is not rewarding them for their hobbies.

If it's a case of unless the teacher does it, the kid sits at home on the xbox causing me to pay for the heart transplant in 40 years. Then I would prefer the teacher taken time from their own personal time to make that happen in some form of recognition.

it also prevents every other tom dick and harry claiming they spend half their life outside work volunteering.

Your mass example is the height of stupidity.

• Advertisement

A teacher reffing a GAA game for a class or school team at 6pm on a wed. is not rewarding them for their hobbies.
    In what way?
    Its sure as hell not paying them for doing their job.
    Your mass example is the height of stupidity.
    On a par with yours tbh.

A possibly meaningful suggestion would be paying overtime to teachers who provide extra out of hours classes for weaker students.

In what way?
    Its sure as hell not paying them for doing their job.
    On a par with yours tbh.

So, we hire in separate sports educators? what difference does it make? someone's going to do it. why shouldn't that person receive some recognition
    . But yes it's exactly the same thing as paying people to go to mass....uh huh...
    A possibly meaningful suggestion would be paying overtime to teachers who provide extra out of hours classes for weaker students.

absoloutley I've mentioned it on many teacher threads int he past.

So, we hire in separate sports educators? what difference does it make? someone's going to do it. why shouldn't that person receive some recognition
    . But yes it's exactly the same thing as paying people to go to mass....uh huh...
    Is 'learning' GAA on the curriculum?
    I know religion is, so the mass suggestion is actually more relevant than yours :P

Is 'learning' GAA on the curriculum?
    I know religion is, so the mass suggestion is actually more relevant than yours :P

GAA was an example.

It can be Mr Grumpy taking 10 of the students off representing the school chess team or bubble blowing team. it doesn't have to be financial reward but as part of the scoring for the overall review process.

page after page on this and we have two ideas from non teachers and a load of negativity regarding GAA and teachers going to mass

no wonder this never gets done.

Because a junior infant's view changes depending on what has happened in the last half hour, they don't really get the overall picture when they are four years of age.Hence, the child who says x is her best friend may well have y as a best friend by next break.

Which is exactly why I mentioned an age-appropriate feedback method for the little ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement