Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long walk on crutches to the NRH Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 01-05-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi are people aware that the rehab Hospital in DunLaoghaire which is primarily for people with MOBILITY problems does not have a bus service that can accomodate outpatients who have to use crutches/wheelchair from Bakers Corner to the hospital??? DESPITE there being a bus stop directly outside the hospital which has one bus in the morning and one in the evening, apparently it was an old bus service for workers to bring them to and from work in the mornings and evenings
    Dublin Bus have let the disabled people down disgracefully with their non response to a request for a bus to serve this hospital even an hourly one
    I don't use Dublin Bus personally I just want to highlight this lack of service for disabled people to access what is a major hospital as not everybody has the luxury of private transport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I agree, the NRH is not very easily accessible, which is ironic as it is, as you say, a facility for people with mobilty problems. Even getting around the grounds themselves is very difficult. To get from the hospital to the villa (which is where families of child patients are sometimes housed) you have to pass through the car park. I've always found this to be dangerous. It surely would not be too difficult or expensive to paint a dedicated pathway such as you find in multi-story parking garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 no1dad

Yes Misty, I noticed that also and i am surprised the the Irish Wheelchair Association have not campaigned for these things as I think they are involved in some way at the hospital, or maybe they have and got nowhere, I just think that if somebody with the clout of the I.W.A. "requested" a bus service or a walkway I am sure politicians would be queueing up to help

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

I first complained about this in the 1970's. The footpaths are not much good either. The road was meant to be widened but it 40 years since the plans were put in place but it will be another 50.

Maybe somebody from the I.W.A. could shed some light as to why it is so inaccessible, it just doesn't make sense to me one bit but then again, neither does having a hydrotherapy pool and having it closed for half the week due to staff shortages and still being able to put venison on the menu for an A.G.M. definitely something wrong somewhere, "inside" AND outside the N.R.H.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

no1dad wrote: »
    Maybe somebody from the I.W.A. could shed some light as to why it is so inaccessible, it just doesn't make sense to me one bit but then again, neither does having a hydrotherapy pool and having it closed for half the week due to staff shortages and still being able to put venison on the menu for an A.G.M. definitely something wrong somewhere, "inside" AND outside the N.R.H.

Why the IWA? They don't run the NRH.

• Advertisement

Why the IWA? They don't run the NRH.

I am well aware they don't run the NRH but I would be extremely surprised if they had not brought these concerns to the appropriate departments over the years and it would be interesting to see the replies/responses/excuses they got

Advertisement