Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Connect outside style Lanterns Etc directly into a mains household plug?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

fixed lighting circuits are typically fused at 10 Amps. Socket circuits are typically 20Amp, so if the cable in your fitting is rated for 10Amp max it wont be protected.

An outside light connected to a socket circuit that has RCD protection could be an issue too, the outdoor conditions, metal fitting and wiring arrangement could cause repeated tripping of the RCD so all the sockets in the house would be out of action.

A fixed exterior light like this should be on a lighting circuit, fused at 10 Amps.

Edit, I know you posted about these fittings before, but as discussed IP 44 is not waterproof, nor is an IP rating a waterproof rating, the B&Q site is a little bit misleading IMHO here just because something has an IP rating does not mean it is waterproof. There are plenty of threads on that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

fit a plug with round cable.....and a 3 amp fuse in the plug....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

fit a plug with round cable.....and a 3 amp fuse in the plug....

Your clearly not an electrician, I don't think its fair that your giving advice to people.

Advertisement