Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Data Coverage / Samsumg Galaxy S2

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 through 3-mobile last February.
    Love the phone and if I'm being honest I can't see any MAJOR problems with call signal.
    The one major gripe I have though is the dreadful data signal picked up from 3-mobile.
    Even standing outside one of the most central points in Dublin (outside Conolly St.) my phone is drooping down to GSM/GPRS speed and can not pick-up 3G.
    It does present a 3G signal the odd time, but it's that intermittant it makes absolutely no difference to pain free web browsing on your phone.

At home and at work, I have it connected via WiFi, but lately I've been using buses, etc. and have also been out n about to other buildings in the Dublin city centre and I've really noticed how bad their data connection is.

At this stage, I'm assuming I'm tied into my contract! :o
    but has anyone else experienced this and if so, what can be done to overcome it?
    is there a case to argue with 3 that their service is simply not up to scratch?
    Could I have other options to improve this? firmware, etc...?

I'd appreciate any advice on this. it's a 2 year contract that I'm already beginning to question with 18months to go...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Folks, just to update this.
    I contacted 3 technical support to explain what the problem is.
    They effectively tolf me that city centre Dublin should be 100% coverage so it would more than likely be the handset!
    this sounds like a right copout to me... the guy suggested a number of awkward obstacles and could not suggest any simple quickfixes like firmware, etc...
    The phone signal jums from 3G to H+ – HSPA+ intemittently.
    You would think when it gets to HSPA it would be super fast but it actually fails to open pages on this where as it works reasonably well when I can manage to get a 3G signal.
    Does anyone have suggestions before I go back to Mumbai and play hardball!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

It sure sounds like the phone is faulty. I live in the area you mention and 3G signal is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

What firmware are you using? I am on ICS and it has improved the signal a little for me.

No issues with the signal for me when I am in Dublin city centre either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

blaz wrote: »
    It sure sounds like the phone is faulty. I live in the area you mention and 3G signal is perfect.

Work in the area and my S2 data is full speed

Advertisement