Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Arts Festival 2012

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    There doesn't seem to be a thread on this yet...

I heard that they're awaiting at least one BIG act to be confirmed and will announce it soon. Meant to be a band that might appeal to older people. That's all I know.
    Anyone heard any more?

btw some of the current lineup is:
    James Vincent McMorrow & Lisa Hannigan & Elaine Mai (I like her, seen her in Roisin Dubh a few times)

The Coronas, Kanyu Tree & Bressie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nope haven't heard anything yet.

16 - 29 July.
    Website www.galwayartsfestival.com The Full 2012 Festival Programme will be announced in late May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not a fan of the arts festival. tbh, they put on acts at exhorbitant prices that you can see all during the year for half the price, sometimes for free. I really think they have lost sight of what an "arts festival" should be about. Much prefer the old arts festival with the community spirit and craic. Latest arts festival are all about the select few posers. the people should claim their festival back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There are plans for a fringe festival this year though. That might bring the arts back to the people.
    As far as I know one of the organisers used to be involved in the Edinburgh fringe so hopefully they can get something up and running.

There are plans for a fringe festival this year though. That might bring the arts back to the people.
    As far as I know one of the organisers used to be involved in the Edinburgh fringe so hopefully they can get something up and running.

that would be good - I remember there was some sort of fringe festival done about five years ago during the arts festival - it was a million times better than the actual arts festival itself. Lets hope its the same crowd organising the fringe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭squonk

Howard Jones maybe! He's touring right now. I'd love that actually. Lots of 80's bands are reforming. Howard would be my choice I must say.

• Advertisement

that would be good - I remember there was some sort of fringe festival done about five years ago during the arts festival - it was a million times better than the actual arts festival itself. Lets hope its the same crowd again.

Yeah Project 06.
    I think that was the year anyway.
    From what I hear on the grapevine PB or OJ arent involved in this one as yet but their input would really give it a boost.
    First meeting was only a couple of weeks ago so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

More details here...
    www.galwayfringe.com

Maybe there should be a separate Galway Fringe thread so not to be mixed up with the Arts Festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's actually 2 fringes. Colours Fringe is first and the Galway Fringe runs along side the Arts Fest. Some people who worked on Colours Fringe last year have branched out to do the Galway Fringe (some images on the Galway Fringe site are from Colours events last year)

Don't think there are the heavy hitters behind it like with project '06, financial backing wise, but any Fringe is welcome to give us alternatives, and I wish both ones all the best and will support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Another gig announced.
    Galway Arts Festival and the Róisín Dubh present CHIC
    Galway Arts Festival Big Top, Thursday July 19th, 7pm, €35/33 - Limited early bird tickets €30. Go button

Galway Arts Festival and the Róisín Dubh are proud to present CHIC at the Festival Big Top on Thursday 19th July with special guests.

Audiences to the Festival Big Top can expect an incredible live show from one of the greatest party bands of all time if CHIC’s 2009 performance at the Electric Picnic is anything to go by.

Arguably the greatest disco/funk band of all time, CHIC debuted in the late 1970’s, dominating and rejuvenating the fading disco scene. Their distinctive approach, categorised by Niles Rodger’s rhythm guitar, not only resulted in some of the most successful singles of the era, but also helped to lay the groundwork for some of the most enduring and prolific musical styles of the 1980’s.

Tickets go on sale at 9am Friday 4th May at galwayartsfestival.com and roisindubh.net Tickets €35.00 and concession rate €33.00. A limited number of Early Bird tickets will be available at €30.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭squonk

That's certainly a different gig! It'd be a bit of craic though! Nile Rogers is a legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Francis H Murphy

Why are tickets for the Fall in Galway €34 while tickets for The Button Factory in Dublin are €10 cheaper at €24.
    I though the idea was to get people to go to Galway, is the old Celtic Rip Off Tiger still lurking in Galway. Seems like lile the petrol station owners are not the only cartel still operating in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Why are tickets for the Fall in Galway €34 while tickets for The Button Factory in Dublin are €10 cheaper at €24.
    I though the idea was to get people to go to Galway, is the old Celtic Rip Off Tiger still lurking in Galway. Seems like lile the petrol station owners are not the only cartel still operating in the city

spotted that myself. was gonna buy me and the missus a couple of tickets before i saw the price. 34e is well steep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I presume it's because of venue size. I'd love to see them again but won't be around. I saw them years ago in Sir Henrys, Cork and Mark E Smith was in a bad mood. Was annoying the other members- hitting the drums and trying to start a fight with them. Some of them walked offstage but came back on and eventually finished the gig.

Good to see that there are still a few old timers still alive remember
    50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong so eat y'self fitter

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I saw The Fall in the Roisin Dubh, must have been ten years ago . . . because it was in the 'old' Roisin with the stage on the right hand side.

Have to say in general I'm bitterly disappointed by the musical line up at GAF this year. Bands you could see in Roisin's any time of the year, a 70s band who were one or two hit wonders in the 1970s, and Christy ... who is a legend, but much better in a hall with seats than a 'standing only' tent by the Corrib.

If anything it will be an anti-climax after the Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Have boycotted it for the past 3 years. nothing original or surprising, just more obviousness on the music front

You missed Iris de Ment in 2011 out at Cambells. Hot night, small packed venue with no oxygen in the room a magic night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm a little disappointed with the line-up this year. I'm struggling to find anything I'd be interested in seeing and usually the only problem I'd have would be whittling down the list. Very pricey and, like people are saying, a lot of acts are regularly in Galway year-round at cheaper prices. Particularly the bands.

I'll see one or two of the plays but there are no "must-sees" for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

chic played the picnic a few years ago. while i didnt see them myself i talked to many who did and all were agreed that they were the highlight of the festival. booked my tickets early for that one. should be the feel good gig of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tickets wanted/selling adverts are not allowed per charter. Those posts removed.
    Please use www.toutless.com or www.adverts.ie/for-sale/tickets/62 or similar sites for tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

Can't believe this subject has slipped to Page 6. Last entry was July 12!
    Anybody been to anything they liked or disliked? Or are we just concerned with where can I buy this or that in Galway?

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

celty wrote: »
    I saw The Fall in the Roisin Dubh, must have been ten years ago . . . because it was in the 'old' Roisin with the stage on the right hand side.

Have to say in general I'm bitterly disappointed by the musical line up at GAF this year. Bands you could see in Roisin's any time of the year, a 70s band who were one or two hit wonders in the 1970s, and Christy ... who is a legend, but much better in a hall with seats than a 'standing only' tent by the Corrib.

If anything it will be an anti-climax after the Volvo.
    Glad this thread was revived, as it's given me a chance to say how utterly ridiculous the bit in bold is. Read up a bit on Nile Rodgers and come back and say he's a one or two hit wonder.

It was an excellent gig, by the way.

I posted on an Arts Festival thread a few days ago about the Parade. There must be a couple of threads knocking about.
    Too lazy to go hunting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Glad this thread was revived, as it's given me a chance to say how utterly ridiculous the bit in bold is. Read up a bit on Nile Rodgers and come back and say he's a one or two hit wonder.

It was an excellent gig, by the way.

Night Falls,

Happy to say I was completely wrong and it was an excellent gig! The only one I made in the Big Top but well worth it. My point though is I'd like to see a much wider variety of bands. Why not put on a rock / metal night with Irish bands like Therapy?, Kopek, And So I Watch You From Afar, etc, and capture a whole new audience.

I still think the music programme this year was very boring and I can't bring myself to even think about going to see James Vincent McMorrow.

But, in the case of Chic ... you were right and I was wrong!

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

To be honest with you, on the whole I would agree with you on the lack of originality that seems to be inherent in the Arts Festival these days (unfortunately I was unable to restrain myself from biting at your reference to chic / nile rodgers, so apologies for that!). I don't think it's just limited to the music lineup, it's everything really. It's just very safe.

That said, there are a few issues that the promoters have to contend with, particularly in relation to the music. It might not be as much of an issue this year with Oxegen not taking place, but most years a large proportion of international acts have exclusivity clauses included in their contracts for music festivals in Ireland, meaning that the organisers can't approach them. That really does limit options on a normal year. That being said, they should be able to get something better than the likes of UB effing 40.

Another issue for promoters to have to try and do is balance the commercial side with the creative / artistic. They wouldn't be in business too long if they were to constantly book amazing acts that don't sell well. Just look at this year, The Coronas are the only act (as far as I know) to have sold out, and I'd consider them to be the very definition of safe and middle of the road. I know that the Chic gig was an extremely slow seller, although to be fair, numbers were very good in the end. I really don't envy the promoters on that score, they're really damned if they do, damned if they don't.

On the cost issue, to be fair I'd say there's a significant cost to the construction of the site each year, which the likes of the Button Factory don't have. Whether that equates to an extra tenner a ticket or not is debatable though.

any one hear Mary Coughlan interview yesterday on Galway Bay - seems the Arts Festival are still in the business of ignoring their home-grown talent in favor of mediocre outsiders. Also, have not heard one murmur about this years festival either before or during it. it seems to be flat as pancake.

I suppose when you look at the Volvo and what they did earlier which included everybody and was open for all, it makes the arts festival look very petty, insecure and insular in favor of their own concept of elitism.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

any one hear Mary Coughlan interview yesterday on Galway Bay - seems the Arts Festival are still in the business of ignoring their home-grown talent in favor of mediocre outsiders. Also, have not heard one murmur about this years festival either before or during it. it seems to be flat as pancake.

I suppose when you look at the Volvo and what they did earlier which included everybody and was open for all, it makes the arts festival look very petty, insecure and insular in favor of their own concept of elitism.

Here's a murmur for you.

It's having record ticket sales this year. It's sold more and sold out more than any GAF ever.

Please give me a list of these "mediocre" outsiders.

I saw Propller's Henry V on Tuesday. Mediocre is the last word I would use. It was stunning. Going to their production of A Winter's Tale tomorrow.

I saw Mary Coughlan once, she was grand, nothing to write home about IMO. I find her whingeing and personality more entertaining than her music if I'm honest.

And there are plenty of GAF events free and open for all. The Gallery, the parade (bedtimes allowing), various street art, etc.

Not sure where you're getting your "petty, insecure and elitist" ideas out of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I saw Propller's Henry V on Tuesday. Mediocre is the last word I would use. It was stunning. Going to their production of A Winter's Tale tomorrow.
    Sweet, I have tickets for Henry V on Saturday. Propeller are always worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

was at a sound art thingy last friday in the black box called "siren". My god it was wonderful. Too difficult to describe. If anyone else was there I would love to hear their opinion. I thought it was fantastic!

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Here's a murmur for you.

It's having record ticket sales this year. It's sold more and sold out more than any GAF ever.

that line is pushed out every year. :D It's PR.

Advertisement