Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Arts Festival 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

that line is pushed out every year. :D It's PR.

No it's not. Two or three years ago it was the lowest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

any one hear Mary Coughlan interview yesterday on Galway Bay - seems the Arts Festival are still in the business of ignoring their home-grown talent in favor of mediocre outsiders. Also, have not heard one murmur about this years festival either before or during it. it seems to be flat as pancake.

I suppose when you look at the Volvo and what they did earlier which included everybody and was open for all, it makes the arts festival look very petty, insecure and insular in favor of their own concept of elitism.

Turn ya hearing aid up.

I was a Conversations on a Homecoming on Monday. 'Twas fantastic.

Wanted to go to the West Cork Ukulele Orchestra the first Monday, but it was sold out.

And as regard home-grown talent, sure I can see them any day. Don't want them filling up the arts fest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It sure ain't no VolvoOceanRace finale. I think we've been spoilt.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

JustMary wrote: »
    Turn ya hearing aid up.

I was a Conversations on a Homecoming on Monday. 'Twas fantastic.

Wanted to go to the West Cork Ukulele Orchestra the first Monday, but it was sold out.

And as regard home-grown talent, sure I can see them any day. Don't want them filling up the arts fest.
    Not sure if you were being entirely serious with your last point, but if you were, then I'd have to strongly disagree with the sentiment. The GAF could, and probably should, be used as a showcase for the best local talent in all artistic fields. Frankly, local artists are generally taken for granted, here is an absolutely ideal opportunity to promote what we have to offer in Galway, which could lead to a more thriving arts scene in the city. Bearing in mind funding cuts in the area, that should be encouraged wherever possible.

That's not to say it should all be local artists, but it should be a good proportion of the overall amount in my opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

snubbleste wrote: »
    It sure ain't no VolvoOceanRace finale. I think we've been spoilt.
    In what sense is it not the Ocean Race? Do you mean in terms of the entertainment on offer? I'd argue the VOR was even more middle of the road than the Arts Festival. Also, the two events have completely different goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Maybe they should change the name to 'Galway International Arts Festival', one of the things that sticks in the gut of Galway Artists is a 'Galway Arts Festival' that is light on 'Galway Art' understandable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

A Galway arts festival where Galway artists are ignored. :D:D
    how forward-thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ROZLYN

Went to Henry V on Tuseday night and it was amazing. Standing ovation all round. It took a few mins to take a step back from contemporary English and get into it but highly recommended. Really enjoyed Damien Dempsey gig in Monroes on Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It has actually been the biggest selling out (if that's how you say it) Festival for the last few years.
    I think a lot of if was due to the Fringe as there was stuff going on all day so people kept moving on to something else. Also the Fringe is mainly made up of local talent.

It has actually been the biggest selling out (if that's how you say it) Festival for the last few years.
    I think a lot of if was due to the Fringe as there was stuff going on all day so people kept moving on to something else. Also the Fringe is mainly made up of local talent.

so which was the "biggest sell out for the last few years" - the Fringe or the Arts Festival? Would love to know. Isn't the fringe completely separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

so which was the "biggest sell out for the last few years" - the Fringe or the Arts Festival? Would love to know. Isn't the fringe completely separate.

It's the first year of the Fringe, so I wouldn't expect it sold out for a lot of stuff. There were definitely a number of events with non-Galway companies. I think it ran a little too long for its first year. It will build in strength hopefully.

Fringe is totally separate but what I've seen happening this year is people are going to a 1pm Fringe show then wandering to an Arts Fest exhibition, hitting an afternoon show and ending up Going to something else at night as they are in the festival mood.
    I actually met the same group of people at five different events one day last week.
    It's defiantly done the trick for me as normally I would never be out of bed before one o clock

Fringe is totally separate but what I've seen happening this year is people are going to a 1pm Fringe show then wandering to an Arts Fest exhibition, hitting an afternoon show and ending up Going to something else at night as they are in the festival mood.
    I actually met the same group of people at five different events one day last week.
    It's defiantly done the trick for me as normally I would never be out of bed before one o clock

so you are saying that because they hit a fringe event (totally separate mind) show at 1 O clock they are drawn to three or four more shows during that day alone.

Either the Fringe is doing some kind of hypnosis show, or its the Arts Festival PR in action again :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

[

so you are saying that because they hit a fringe event (totally separate mind) show at 1 O clock they are drawn to three or four more shows during that day alone.

Either the Fringe is doing some kind of hypnosis show, or its the Arts Festival PR in action again :D:D

I think he'd saying that rather than compete with each other, they can compliment each other, and I'd agree.
    I'd like to see the fringe a little tighter next year, but for year 1 they did great.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Was at the Silent Disco last weekend and James Vincent McMorrow last night, was amazing, it's fair to say that the music line-up isn't that strong this year, how many gig's are put on in the Big Top over the course of the festival? I can only think of 5 gigs being their this year, I can't see how they can't put a gig on each night of the festival to get a wider variety of people coming.

inisboffin wrote: »
    [

I think he'd saying that rather than compete with each other, they can compliment each other, and I'd agree.
    I'd like to see the fringe a little tighter next year, but for year 1 they did great.

Exactly. And I didn't say 3 or 4 more shows. I said events. The people I mentioned in my example I met at two shows and three exhibitions in the space of the day.
    And the only connection I have is that I know lots of the people involved in both the Festival and the Fringe for many years.
    @fishy fishy you are welcome to check my posting history. You will find I am very unbiased.

Advertisement