Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honest = Mean?

• 01-05-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 22 Hill runner

After dating someone for a short time, you decided not to see that person again. He/She said " I deserve an honest answer ". Would you say one or more the following truths? YOU ARE A NICE PERSON but...

- You have no ambition.
    - You are so boring.
    - You are so insecure.
    - You are 1% romantic.
    - You are stingy.
    - You are not intelligent.
    - You lack personal hygiene.
    - You have bad dress sense.
    - You are terrible in bed.
    The list goes on....

Would you so ? or do you have similar stories when she/he doesn't accept I'm just not into you answer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Its not me its you OP!!

That and you you have fat ankles usually does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

After dating someone for a short time, you decided not to see that person again. He/She said " I deserve an honest answer ". Would you say one or more the following truths? YOU ARE A NICE PERSON but...

- You have no ambition.
    - You are so boring.
    - You are so insecure.
    - You are 1% romantic.
    - You are stingy.

Would you so ? or do you have similar stories when she/he doesn't accept I'm just not into you answer.
    I would and do. If a person asks for something and then can't take it - well, not my problem, because...

... I don't care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Why not just tell the truth if your not into someone anymore? Kindest thing in the long run really:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think you should tell the truth. that way the person can see how shallow you really are OP and not feel so bad about the relationship being over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Important to be honest but just as important not to be unkind. Critique don't critiscise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

- You have no ambition.
    - You are so boring.
    - You are so insecure.
    - You are 1% romantic.
    - You are stingy.
    The list goes on....

I wouldn't say any of those things. I'd just say that I don't think we're compatible and I don't see the relationship going anywhere. That way, you're being honest but you're not being a bitch about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭highfive

- You have no ambition.
    - You are so boring.
    - You are so insecure.
    - You are 1% romantic.
    - You are stingy.
    The list goes on....

I was probably in this situation once or twice myself. But, would you not have seen the warning signs before you said 'I do'? While breaking up just say one or two things to them and then if they don't take no for an answer just start listing the rest of the stuff! That's what I would do! And start with the personal hygiene one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I once told a gf I thought she was shallow.
    All hell broke loose.

We're not together any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Just tell her breath smells like anus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hill runner

sheesh wrote: »
    I think you should tell the truth. that way the person can see how shallow you really are OP and not feel so bad about the relationship being over.

I'm definitely not a shallow person. I have tried to say nice and kind things:

- I'm not ready for a relationship.
    - I'm very busy with work at the moment.
    - We are not compatible.
    - I'm not over my ex...
    ( and what if weeks later she/he saw you with someone else?)

The list goes on but I WAS NOT HONEST...
    I haven't said anything mean to anyone yet, that's why I'm posting here to see what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Honest = honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

90% of the time "it not you, it me, i'm not in the right frame of mind for a long term relationship" will work. the other 10% is a mine field of bunny boilers and head cases. Its the "i have my next 5 yrs planned out methodically" person who cant handle when you throw a spanner in the works and fight to keep you cos you will **** up their plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"I no longer want to be on you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

tell that person all of the above.... it might make them make more of an effort in the future... also give them the samarithans phone number just incase ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Being direct and honest makes for a better relationship than being two faced and false.

Being deceitful and lying (basically fooling yourself) will inevitably catch up with your relationship some time.

Better it be sooner, rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

best lying imo, here are some you can use

- i'm gay
    - i'm going into the witness protection program
    - i'm dying
    - i'm your half brother
    - i'm now a scientoligist
    - i was the guy in the paper that molested that horse

the list goes on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If you're going to be honest, then be prepared for a barrage of criticisms coming your way too.

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    90% of the time "it not you, it me, i'm not in the right frame of mind for a long term relationship" will work. the other 10% is a mine field of bunny boilers and head cases. Its the "i have my next 5 yrs planned out methodically" person who cant handle when you throw a spanner in the works and fight to keep you cos you will **** up their plan.

I had few of this 10% :-(. One is right next to me in work now.

I'm definitely not a shallow person. I have tried to say nice and kind things:

- I'm not ready for a relationship.
    - I'm very busy with work at the moment.
    - We are not compatible.
    - I'm not over my ex...
    ( and what if weeks later she/he saw you with someone else?)

The list goes on but I WAS NOT HONEST...
    I haven't said anything mean to anyone yet, that's why I'm posting here to see what people think.

You're not shallow but you'd dump someone for having bad dress sense?!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Giving the "it's not you, it's me" line is not helpful. What happens is that they go on thinking they're perfect and keep the bad habits in the next relationship.

You need to tell them what you didn't like about them and then they'll hate you for a while but when they've calmed down they should come to the conclusion that you were correct and they will make that change in their lives. They should realise "Ok I messed up badly there, so I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen in the next one".

You're making the world a better place by being honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Being honest is great but you have to know what the f.uck your on about. I said the Guru Maharaja thing was a hippy movement, if someone took it up further after i said that, then they could of verbally killed me because i didn't know what the fu.ck i was on about. I just saw him waffling on telly and all the pie eyed people in awe of him and thought it was a hippy movement.

Being honest is great but you have to know what the f.uck your on about. I said the Guru Maharaja thing was a hippy movement, if someone took it up further after i said that, then they could of verbally killed me because i didn't know what the fu.ck i was on about. I just saw him waffling on telly and all the pie eyed people in awe of him and thought it was a hippy movement.

What.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

What.

you need to be on drugs to understand

davet82 wrote: »
    you need to be on drugs to understand

Oh dear, This is getting funny..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Madam wrote: »
    Why not just tell the truth if your not into someone anymore? Kindest thing in the long run really:p

Couldn't agree more. As long as it's done with a bit of tact like...

"No offense like, but you've become ugly and I met some other biatch to hang out with and she agreed to do all things you wouldn't!"

Along them lines :P

Jokes aside,
    I always found when it comes to breakups/dating, honesty is best.
    Nothing worse to find out later that he/she just made up BS to get out of the relationship. You can't really learn from your mistakes either unless you know the truth!

And I don't actually think that honesty = mean. That's an Irish thing. I reckon here people can't confront or be honest about stuff, it's all bla bla BS and diplomacy/politeness over truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I would...insensitive cúnt me ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"Does this make me look fat?"
    "No, but the other one does so don't change again"
    "you bastard!!!!!"

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I would tend to go the more honest route. but then I don't know that most people actually want honesty.

Of the reasons you have for not wanting to be with her, think of the real reasons (not including dress sense like) for it, and if they come down t compatibility, then say that your personalities are too different to go any further. Because mostly that's what things come down to. it's not that you're right and she's wrong, but the two of you just don't match well.

Giving the "it's not you, it's me" line is not helpful. What happens is that they go on thinking they're perfect and keep the bad habits in the next relationship.

You need to tell them what you didn't like about them and then they'll hate you for a while but when they've calmed down they should come to the conclusion that you were correct and they will make that change in their lives. They should realise "Ok I messed up badly there, so I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen in the next one".

You're making the world a better place by being honest :)

Just because there's something that YOU don't like about them, it doesn't mean that they messed up or that they should change :confused: It's all subjective. If you don't like an aspect of someone's personality or whatnot, it doesn't mean someone else won't.

• Advertisement

You're not shallow but you'd dump someone for having bad dress sense?!

I don't comment on a lady with bad dress sense ( not on her face) and never dump anyone for this reason but this one of the reasons a girl might not find a guy attractive or vice versa...

The one of the many things in the list...It can be any harsh truths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭comeback_kid

Honest = honest

correct but brutal honesty = mean disguised as forthrightness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

... with bad dress sense ( not on her face) and never dump anyone....

I soooooooooo read this wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

being honest when breaking up with someone is hard if the relationship has been a short one. If its a longer one, usually both feel something isnt right and not there.

It's hard to break up with someone and be truthful, but the most honest I ever was when I had to break up with someone was just to say , I didn't feel the same way and I didn't want to hurt them in the long run. To be fair it was the absolute truth. But its very hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Surely it's possible to be honest and kind about it.
    Just because you think a person is boring, not funny, stingy etc, doesn't mean that they actually are. Someone else might find them hilarious, entertaining and generous. We all want different things.

I usually just go with the "you're a lovely guy and I've had a lovely time but I just feel that there is something missing. We're not compatible" or some such horsesh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

correct but brutal honesty = mean disguised as forthrightness

Why is this seen as a good personality trait in people -

"ah Johnny is sound out, if he doesn't like you he will say it straight out to you"

Thats not being sound, nor is it in any way a positive trait. That is being an asshole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

"It's over. Please take a minute to fill out this helpful feedback questionnaire."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

being honest does not mean being an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Just because there's something that YOU don't like about them, it doesn't mean that they messed up or that they should change :confused: It's all subjective. If you don't like an aspect of someone's personality or whatnot, it doesn't mean someone else won't.

Yes that's fair enough, but if I was consistantly doing something wrong in relationships then I would like to be told. If I was told once, fair enough, but if two or three people said the same thing to me, I would have to sit up and take notice in fairness.

I'm not really talking personalities that clash here though - I'm just saying if one person has a habit of doing something, or not doing something, then they need to know about it - otherwise how will they ever be able to fix it ?

EDIT: Example - Person A does not put enough effort into contact. It leaves Person B feeling like they're always the one "doing the running". Person A doesn't even know that (s)he is lacking in this area. What should Person B do when breaking up ? Be honest IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

RichieC wrote: »
    being honest does not mean being an asshole.

True, true... but at the same time people shouldn't use the excuse of 'I was just being honest' to justify being an unrelenting asshole.

I mean, I may intensely dislike a work colleague's father. But if they tell me their father just died and I respond 'I thought he was a complete prick', sure I'm being honest but I am also being an asshole.

It seems a lot of people like to use the 'it's just my opinion' or 'I'm just being honest' justifier as an excuse for plain old being a shitbag to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Id just acually sorta just blast her with piss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

- You have no ambition.
    - You are so boring.
    - You are so insecure.
    - You are 1% romantic.
    - You are stingy.
    The list goes on....

Presumably, most people would try to avoid dating people with those qualities. I typically look at/speak to, people before I date them. I feel like that would really clear away most of these.

gimmick wrote: »
    Why is this seen as a good personality trait in people -

"ah Johnny is sound out, if he doesn't like you he will say it straight out to you"

Thats not being sound, nor is it in any way a positive trait. That is being an asshole.

increased tolerance ( if not a sneaking regard ) for insensitive bullies

Domo230 wrote: »
    I would like to hear the truth. How else are people supposed to learn from their mistakes if they never hear what they need to improve.

depends who,s pointing out faults , some do so out of genuine concern ( parents etc ) while some do it merely because it makes them feel important and authoritative , overbearing busybodies have little interest in your welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wouldn't say any of those things. I'd just say that I don't think we're compatible and I don't see the relationship going anywhere. That way, you're being honest but you're not being a bitch about it.

^^^

What they said.

A bit of genuine-sounding diplomacy gets the message across and no feelings need to get hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

OP stick with it/her she sounds like a great catch

I find not washing for a week and if that fails admitting I'm a man really works for me

strobe wrote: »
    True, true... but at the same time people shouldn't use the excuse of 'I was just being honest' to justify being an unrelenting asshole.

I mean, I may intensely dislike a work colleague's father. But if they tell me their father just died and I respond 'I thought he was a complete prick', sure I'm being honest but I am also being an asshole.

It seems a lot of people like to use the 'it's just my opinion' or 'I'm just being honest' justifier as an excuse for plain old being a shitbag to people.

was working on a sheep station down under in 1998 , the day omagh was bombed , i asked a member of staff if they had heard about it , to which they replied " that doesnt effect us rearing lamb over here " , i thought that was closer to crass than honest tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The truth is overrated OP. Lies make the world go round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I agree with a lot of what's written here. You should be nothing more but honest when breaking up. There is no need to sugar coat things but no need to be brutally honest as in the op. If someone has a problem with rejection and you being honest, that is their own problem and bullet dodged.

I had an ex years ago mess with my head when it came to breaking up and it was sh1te. He moved back home but had me believe that we were very much going strong but letting me down time and time again, and delivering the most nicest words with an excuse and an apology just for the same thing to happen again and again. All because I was young, believed him and loved him. It was so hard trying to figure that out. Looking back, it was clear he was finished with me and instead of telling me he played with my head dragging it out for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ive often gotten myself in trouble for being honest with people. Everyone says I'm too blunt.... So Im supposed to lie is that it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement