Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Meteor charging for data silently

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭vandriver

I'm on Three and used 8 gigs last month hassle free,just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Turn data off when you are not using it, there are plenty of apps out there that can do this for you.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions and not expect others to clean up their mess. Knowledge is power folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Have metoer changed their data charges on prepay? I got a message on tuesday saying that from may 29th a day pass for 50MB is 79c and 99c per MB over this.

I could have sworn it used to be 2c per MB over 50MB.

Edit: http://meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/other-charges/

It is 2c now but increases to 99c soon. What a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

When I worked for Meteor it was a nightmare dealing with users who took no responsibility for the data they downloaded. They come up with every excuse under the sun and claim that they never install apps which connect to the net. Then when you rattle off a list of apps that can be used they then turn around and say "Oh yeah I have that" or "I was looking at a few films online on the phone".

You do know that you can send in a free text to Meteor to get your data allowance too? Text Balance Data to 50104 and you'll see what you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Eh - they own the network, they design their billing systems, so they can control what your phone can and can't do.

They could send alerts to notify you of your data bill, or they could have data disabled by default for users, or they could let users specify the maximum amount of data they want to eat.

The billing systems work well enough to prevent your access when you are at zero credit ;-)

Personally, I think users should have to opt in to daily data usage, and especially should have to opt-in to the expensive per mb charging.

The networks would have more calls from people asking to enable data if they did that, rather than the few to disable data. Data can be quite easily disabled on a phone. Would you like to have to call the network to set up calls for each new number you call? While you are eloquent in your argument, as someone who has worked in the industry, you are asking the majority to pander to the ill-informed minority.

The network can't control that the Android OS syncs via the internet by default. All they can do is give the phone without settings or disable internet for all users, which as I've already said is more work than is necessary in order to cater to the minority.

Would you like the motor industry moves backwards, and removes sensors and alerts? Like oil temperature, service interval lights, abs check lights? Would you like to have to install an app on your car, in order to be able to access the alerts?

Would you like all road signs removed, and having to consult a third party system to figure out how to get from a to b?

I am advocating a user-friendly approach. If you prefer a non user friendly approach that is ok.

Don't see how you came to that conclusion. Meteor offer an easy data check by sending Data Balance to 50104 (Balance for bill pay)

All Android phones in recent months can disable data by going to Settings - Wireless Networks - Mobile Network and unchecking data. Most brands have been doing this for quite a while. You do not need to download an app to do this but there are ones that make it easy by creating a widget on your desktop for easy access.

The current system, and I am more than likely speaking from dealing with a much larger user base than you are, works for the vast majority of people. I very rarely see anyone complaining about internet costs, and most people actively ask me how to disable/enable internet and enquire about WiFi connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

recyclebin wrote: »
    Have metoer changed their data charges on prepay? I got a message on tuesday saying that from may 29th a day pass for 50MB is 79c and 99c per MB over this.

I could have sworn it used to be 2c per MB over 50MB.

Edit: http://meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/other-charges/

It is 2c now but increases to 99c soon. What a rip off.

It's in order to get people to sign up to the (better) add ons.

4.99 per month is 500mb.

9.99 per month is 1gb.

Once you go over that, you revert to day rate prices, so even if you are using 50mb a day, that's roughly 1.5gb per month at a price of about 21€ or so.

The current rate of 9.99 gives you 1024gb or 20 days of the day pass if you are using 50mb a day. 10 more days at .79c works out at 7.90€ plus the original €9.99 which is actually less than what you were paying if you were using the 50mb each and every day, which is unlikely for the most part as very few would use that and not be on one of the bill plans with 2gb to 12gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

TBi wrote: »
    I dunno. Meteor should text me and let me know when i'm being serious or not!

How am i supposed to know when i'm not being serious!

It's not possible for them to take 1000 Euro in credit, you can only have a maximum balance of 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

It's not possible for them to take 1000 Euro in credit, you can only have a maximum balance of 280.

They should have txted him before he topped up! Or better still, txted him before he bought the top up!

Advertisement