Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post not delivering parcels.

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Do An Post not deliver parcels anymore or is it just my post office or postman ? Last 3 parcels I have had to pick up at the office, they left a letter in my box saying it couldnt be delivered/nobody home type of a thing which was odd seeing as I was home on those days and the postman just didnt bring the parcels to the house.

I live down a lane and the box is about halfway down, there are other boxes further down just next to my house. So the postman leaves a note in mine to pick up the parcel at the office, then drives down the lane pretty much to my house to deliver neighbours mail.

I dont want to make a fuss about it or anything seeing as the office is just 5 minutes away but post comes at 11am, I have to wait until 2pm to collect it according to the letter which to me means the postman has it in the van but doesnt deliver it. Anything I get from someone using a courier comes right to the door and dont have a whole lot of bother finding the place, yet An Post who have been delivering post to me for 20 odd years cant drive 6 seconds further to deliver a parcel.

Do I get onto the post office or is it just new policy or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It used to happen us on a regular basis, they'd put the slip in saying they tried to deliver when they definitely hadn't.

May as well make a complaint, for whatever good it will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Put the post box on your house. Then he has to come to the house to put in the note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

An Post deliver both letters and parcels.

Small parcels (packets) are delivered in the main by the same guy who delivers the post, but parcels are delivered by van at a seperate time to your letters.

A parcel delivery round is much much bigger than a letter delivery round.

In rural areas it can be different as most of the post deliveres are done in small vans and cover a biggish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

MungBean wrote: »

Do I get onto the post office or is it just new policy or something ?

I complained about the same thing last week and was surprised how promptly it was dealt with, so let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Yeah, I've experienced the same thing with An POst in the past.

I'd be home, in the living room at the front of the house and a slip would be pushed through the letter box saying sorry we missed you!

I live a city too so its baffling. Like, if they go to the trouble of walking up to your door to push the slip through, is it not just as easy to hand your parcel to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Caught our postman redhanded a month ago at this messing. I'm in Dublin 8 (so not exactly remote) and he pushes the "Sorry, you're not home" note through the door.
    I opened the door, said he must have made a "mistake". His excuse was he left it on his bike (never seen him on one). Ten minutes later, the parcel is in my hands.
    At 10 in the morning, its a good gamble that nobody will be home so they chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

We have also caught the postman doing the same, he made the excuse the local post office no longer had a van for making deliveries. When I complained to the GPO they said such things never happen! The wife now gives the postman was a bottle of win at Christmas, and the problem has cleared up:rolleyes:

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Tow wrote: »
    We have also caught the postman doing the same, he made the excuse the local post office no longer had a van for making deliveries. When I complained to the GPO they said such things never happen! The wife now gives the postman was a bottle of win at Christmas, and the problem has cleared up:rolleyes:

I'd do the same (leave something out, I used to down the country) if we had the same regular postman, but our route seems to be the training ground for every halfahead in Dublin.

Advertisement