Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Community TV due to shut down today (May 1st).

Options
  • 01-05-2012 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

As in the title, due for closure today. Has it actually closed yet?

33 years of a service supplying the UK terrestrial channels comes to an end. Think it was first available in the Westport area in 1982 just before the soccer world cup of that year. The folks put up an aerial for it on the house in Murrisk in 1984.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

No, still on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Mine is just this second gone :(((((((((((((((((((((((

Anybody know of any deals around for getting Freeview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Just gone off air.

Goodbye and many thanks for the long service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Its a shame to see it go as it provided a valuable service but time and technology moves on I guess. What deflector services (if any) remain in Mayo now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Its a shame to see it go as it provided a valuable service but time and technology moves on I guess. What deflector services (if any) remain in Mayo now?

Maybe Castlebar. Due to close in September I think. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

Talking to the folks at home (Murrisk) about half an hour ago. Still on there. They get their reception from Farnaught Hill just outside Westport. Not a simultaneous shutdown of all the masts it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I'm in Ballina and it's still broadcasting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Many thanks guys for the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adam_blaq

Yeah it hasn't turned off in Westport yet! Time to get Freesat people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

As in the title, due for closure today. Has it actually closed yet?

33 years of a service supplying the UK terrestrial channels comes to an end. Think it was first available in the Westport area in 1982 just before the soccer world cup of that year. The folks put up an aerial for it on the house in Murrisk in 1984.

Had it in Kiltimagh in the early 70's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Was a fantastic service and will be sorely missed. Give them a couple quid every time they came around.

Gone off in Murrisk today I believe, so I'd guess the Westport area will have lost them as well.

@Coillte Bhoy: Would that have been Padraig Cunnane as well? He set up the company MCTV in 1979 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Both Castlebar and the Turlough area are gone too.. still have the RTE 1, Two, and TV3 so they'll do for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Mine is just this second gone :(((((((((((((((((((((((

Be carefull and shop around. A dish and reciever should not cost more than 300 installed. Listen to reccomandations from people that have it installed and don't go for the cheapest quote (lots of horror stories out there). Also bear in mind just because you had a good analogue picture, you may not get the digital transmission from your local mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

@Coillte Bhoy: Would that have been Padraig Cunnane as well? He set up the company MCTV in 1979 I think.

Not to cut across Coillte Bhoy, but it was Liam McDonagh that was the pioneer who set up the Kiltimagh system. Started with a piped TV system then moved on to the deflector. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Avns1s wrote: »
    Not to cut across Coillte Bhoy, but it was Liam McDonagh that was the pioneer who set up the Kiltimagh system. Started with a piped TV system then moved on to the deflector. See here.

Extremely interesting, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Mayo Miss wrote: »

Simple enough to set up. Buy or find an unused sky box, no card needed. Buy a dish, available for €40.00 in xtravision. Connect them to the tv and away you go (thats the tricky bit, a friend did it for me, you need a signal finder and a small bit of knowhow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

conseng wrote: »
    Simple enough to set up. Buy or find an unused sky box, no card needed. Buy a dish, available for €40.00 in xtravision. Connect them to the tv and away you go (thats the tricky bit, a friend did it for me, you need a signal finder and a small bit of knowhow)

Freeview isn't available in Mayo.

Freeview is the UK equivalent of our Saorview. Only those close to the border or along the east coast can get it.

What you're talking about is Free To Air. Not to be confused with Freesat, which is the UK equivalent of our Saorsat, a joint venture between the BBC and ITV to cover the small percentage of the UK population that cannot get terrestrial. Freesat have their own boxes which have 7 day program guide, some can record, have series link and the channels automatically update. FTA boxes only have now and next program guide and do not automatically update new or moved channels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

UK Freesat and Sky run off the same satellite so it should work.

Advertisement