Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workplace whip arounds

• 01-05-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Do these wreck anyone else's heads? Is it stingy to not want to give a fiver for Mary's wedding card or Tom's retirement do? Should workplaces regulate who can ask for money and do you give anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Depends on the size of the company. I used to work in a place with over 200 people. I'd be asked for money for people I'd never known. That was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

What goes around, comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i'm not retiring for another 30 somethin years, so yeah it wrecks my head too, i stopped contributing to peoples cards i dont like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Depends, if its someone you know and like, shouldnt be a problem to chuck in a fiver/tenner or whatever.

If its for a cnut of a person, let em swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No

I'm not sponsoring you to trek the Andes, walk the Great Wall and climb Mount Kilamanjaro.

I can barely afford a holiday for myself, no way am I sending you on a holiday of a lifetime

For charity, yeah :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Depends who it's for! Tbh my work is fairly decent in that they will send a mail saying "<insert name>'s leaving card is over at my desk if you want to come sign it and contribute for a present" If I don't like the fooker they can ask me hoop if they think I would even sign the card.

However I've noticed they are becoming far too frequent for people's birthdays for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

its a fiver, not gonna kill you, if they do it for everyone i'm sure you'll get it back at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's what the colour copier is for...

Just make a bunch of fake fivers and leave on the desk for these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Yes it does piss me off & no I don't want to sign your card / contribute :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    its a fiver, not gonna kill you, if they do it for everyone i'm sure you'll get it back at some stage

Grand if it's a one off, but what about if there is one or 2 of these "collections" every week (or most weeks). You're talking the guts of €500 per year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Must've kicked about €500 into those collections over the years in the last place I worked. Never bothered me since I thought that whenever I left myself I'd be on the receiving end of one. Then one day I got made redundant, wasn't asked to work out my notice and never had an opportunity to get a card myself... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What's worse is the sponsored charity collections for climbing Mount Killamanjaro and the like.

No. Just f*ck off, I'm not paying for you to parachute out of an aeroplane. Do that with your own money and give the entire proceeds of your charity collection to.....well.....charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I would only contribute to a leaving do thing or possibly a sponsored event if i knew the person and i knew the money was going to charity and not to pay for them to do whatever they wanted money for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I know and like the person, I contribute; f I don't know or like the person, I don't.

Quite simple really - well, for people of functional intelligence obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Whip rounds are not bad as long as someone leaves a box or something in the break room or the office and if i want to put in i will. If someone comes over shaking their cup and asking for a fiver for someone i barely known, thats crossing the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Running a marathon for charity is a noble aim, fair play and I'll kick in some sponsorship

But why is it always far flung locations like New York?

There are marathons held all over Ireland.

Am I paying for your shopping trip to New York?
    Sly ;)

And sorry ladies, a mini marathon is not a marathon
    Well done and all for what you did but don't tell us you completed a marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

You have to buy sweets/cakes for everyone on your birthday where I work. Collections for anyone and everyone who leaves the place too. One of the contractors arrived back in the door 3 months after "leaving" with a nice collection. He was only in there for about 5 months initially. No wonder he came back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Mary can suck my [EMAIL="b@lls"]b@lls[/EMAIL] & Tom can go & F**K himself.
    The regime is already taking everything I make.

Just keep a few coppers in the drawers and when that envelope makes the rounds throw in 8c, that's what I do !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    What's worse is the sponsored charity collections for climbing Mount Killamanjaro and the like.

No. Just f*ck off, I'm not paying for you to parachute out of an aeroplane. Do that with your own money and give the entire proceeds of your charity collection to.....well.....charity.

Agreed. I think this is certainly becoming an issue in the workplace. The problem is that employers always think it looks very good on your CV if you have done some charity work and I think if you want to progress through a company or applying for a top job they always want to see what you've done outside the work place. But a lot of it reeks of self-importance or I've always really want to run a marathon/climb a mountain but I don't want to pay so I'll just sign up to a charity and they'll do it all for me. Which is a shame because it takes away the speciality of people who genuinely want to help.

I've experienced two instances of this stuff this year which pissed me off. My sister's friend signed up to run a marathon for Huntington's disease I think and invited her and all her friends for a lunch round hers. Anyway she invited them round (about 12 of them) and after she'd set up the lunch, she reminded everyone about the marathon she was doing and suggested a donation of €50 each for them to contribute. So she essentially coerced her friends into paying that amount which I think it's out of order. €50 is a lot of money for my sister to be giving away to charity like that in these current times. Particularly with her paying off student loans, paying rent and has only just started her professional career out of college.

I also had someone I know be criticised by people for running a marathon but not doing it for a charity. People were branding him selfish which I think is very unfair. A marathon is an athletic event designed to test you. It's the pinnacle if you're a keen runner. It's not supposed to be some gruelling challenge so you can raise a few quid for a charity. The London Marathon coverage this year was ridiculous. It wasn't a sporting event at all, it was just endless cutaways to Joe Everyman raising however much money for some charity.

I might have gone off topic slightly but I think my point still stands with these workplace collections. This sponsored charity stuff is big business now and I think there's a fine line to be drawn between people genuinely wanting to help a cause and someone just doing it for it to look good on their CV or someone looking for a handout for some smug achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

biko wrote: »
    That's what the colour copier is for...

Just make a bunch of fake fivers and leave on the desk for these things.

go and try this and be prepared for an interesting result. (dependent on year of copier)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Fvck that 5 euros is my lunch money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

mikemac1 wrote: »
    But why is it always far flung locations like New York?

They'll be the same c*nts who put up recycling posters etc. around the place. "Gotta care for Mother Earth" lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

One was done for me when I got married a few years back. 18 in open plan office, very small. Card with money (about €200) left on desk at lunch and one of the fu*kers nicked it when out for a roll.:mad:
    Never even bothered to follow it up as never agreed with the practice myself anyway.. It stopped then from others every doing whip around again there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have no problem chucking the card over the partition to the next eejit TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

I worked in an office for over 3 years and contributed probably over £200 to everyone who left during that time, whether it was a student in for the summer or a full time worker, including £20 to a girl who was back within a month. I was told on a Friday at 4.30 that my contract wasn't being renewed and it would be my last day. Didn't even get a card!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Can I just add here, that I've done this recently [a parachute for charity] and I DID pay for it myself. All €275 of it. So I still managed to raise €530 for my intended charity. Any decent person would do the same. I don't expect anyone else to pay for my skydive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I don't mind the retirement or wedding collections and give to when I know the person. But if I have never met you, no not happening.

We had a new person start a few years ago and within two weeks she starts collections for X's birthday or Y passed their exams - €2 towards tea, cakes and a card She was soon told where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Worst is when the boss leaves a sponsor card with you so that you can collect money on his behalf.

I left it where it was. Same way he's left me waiting over 2 years for a pay increase. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lazygal wrote: »
    Do these wreck anyone else's heads? Is it stingy to not want to give a fiver for Mary's wedding card or Tom's retirement do? Should workplaces regulate who can ask for money and do you give anything?

After a few years, I made a decision never to give to anyone I didn't get on with. "you can't do that", sez they "fucken watch me" sez I. And so it was. More money for causes and people worthy of my time, SFA for those who weren't.

Interestingly, it was often that certain parties were caught pretending to put money in, at least one of whom was openly critical of my refusal to indulge in hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

COYW wrote: »
    You have to buy sweets/cakes for everyone on your birthday where I work. Collections for anyone and everyone who leaves the place too. One of the contractors arrived back in the door 3 months after "leaving" with a nice collection. He was only in there for about 5 months initially. No wonder he came back!

We have the cakes on birthday rule in our place too. I don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Good god i know exactly wat ur on about.it so much the money but the frequency that bothers me. im in customer sevices and we have a team meeting each week sometimes its just a meeting about further meetings. In my job they decided to create a social club were workers would volunteer to organise events and such. They decided that we would all give €2.00 a month for birthday presents for each other. On top of that over the past few months theres been about 3 marathons to sponsor, the shave or die thing for cancer, and next month there boxing to volunteer for and donate more money. It not so much the money. I mean i honestly dont care about a few euros but all of the god damn emails and not only that people expect me to go to half of these events. Id rather just pay it one lumpsum and after that i want them to stop wrecking my hear. I dont always have cash on me cause i usually cook something and bring it to work and i work in a small industrial estate so not many shops nearby. Most of my break would be over by he time i got to a shop for change and why should i have to? I know these charities exist and i wanted donate money why would i need someone to remind me thry exist? Oppurtunist Nazi like scavengers I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Manager of mine tried to get us to do a whip around for Women's Day, buying all the girls on our floor chocolates and flowers etc. I said 'Meh' and went to the gym instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    We have the cakes on birthday rule in our place too. I don't understand it.

As do we. I think it was written into the company contracts at one stage. Terrible for those trying to keep a healthy diet :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Just do like a lad I used to work with. Make a big deal about putting €20 into the card and then take two tenners back out again:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

i put my jizz into a card for somebody i hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm so sick of rules and regulation...and clauses and sub clauses etc

I people don't want to contribute then either find a way to weasel out of it or grow a spine and refuse on principle

don't expect or aspire to have every workplace regulated into one homogenous, sanitized mass where any humanity/spontaneity was expunged long ago and people have to consult the manual before taking a piss.

You have to take the bad with the good - if you dont want to exist like a robot that is

I despair for my species sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublin80

In my last job, this particular girl used to always ask your date of birth when you started, for 'the birthday calendar'.
    There was 15 in the office and 12 of them were all from XXXXX , so they all stuck together, everyone else was classed as an outsider.
    every other week it was someones birthday and an email went around for a fiver for so and so's birthday. the person organising it would have everyones name on a list and tick your name off as you handed your fiver, whoever hadnt given a fiver by the day before, you would be asked for it.
    after months and months and months of donating fivers for birthdays, my birthday was coming up, and I didnt get anything....Why? cos my birthday was on a sunday :eek: (what i think). There was no mention of my birthday.
    another time, a girls birthday had come and gone without any mail going round, so I mentioned it and they said they didnt know. I think its cos we were'nt 'one of them'. I thought it was very mean
    I was scraping by for a mortgage deposit,but always managed to give a fiver out of my budget as i didnt wanna come across as stingy. ''Worse fool me''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

dublin80 wrote: »
    In my last job, this particular girl used to always ask your date of birth when you started, for 'the birthday calendar'.
    There was 15 in the office and 12 of them were all from XXXXX , so they all stuck together, everyone else was classed as an outsider.
    every other week it was someones birthday and an email went around for a fiver for so and so's birthday. the person organising it would have everyones name on a list and tick your name off as you handed your fiver, whoever hadnt given a fiver by the day before, you would be asked for it.
    after months and months and months of donating fivers for birthdays, my birthday was coming up, and I didnt get anything....Why? cos my birthday was on a sunday :eek: (what i think). There was no mention of my birthday.
    another time, a girls birthday had come and gone without any mail going round, so I mentioned it and they said they didnt know. I think its cos we were'nt 'one of them'. I thought it was very mean
    I was scraping by for a mortgage deposit,but always managed to give a fiver out of my budget as i didnt wanna come across as stingy.

Well, you know what they say, better luck next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

crazy stuff to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Thats what your jar of coppers is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭amacca

my birthday was coming up, and I didnt get anything....Why? cos my birthday was on a sunday :eek: (what i think). There was no mention of my birthday.

now that kind of stuff just gets me mad

mad as hell I tells ya! oooh so mad I cant even type properly anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

A lot of tight asses on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

dirtyden wrote: »

No, a lot of people having a jar waved in their face for people they don't even know/like.

Some of the three digit numbers that people are quoting, well i'd prefer to spend that on my house/girlfriend/family/actual friends/whatever than f**kin' chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Never worked in a place that we did whip arounds really except where I work now there's only 8 of us and if its someone's birthday we would throw 2euro each and get a cake. I'm the only girl so we don't do presents and we've had no one leaving either. Pretty lucky actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

dirtyden wrote: »

mmmmmm tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't give money, I don't want anyone's money. Yes, I'm an antisocial cnut and I like it to stay this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

What wrecks my head is when they do "whip arounds" for the high earners in the company that you barely even know and I would have to check the ol budget to see if I can afford a fiver/tenner to give out that week and they are driving around in their mercs, bmw, audi's etc and going on their minimum of 2/3 holidays a year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublin80

Monife wrote: »
    What wrecks my head is when they do "whip arounds" for the high earners in the company that you barely even know and I would have to check the ol budget to see if I can afford a fiver/tenner to give out that week and they are driving around in their mercs, bmw, audi's etc and going on their minimum of 2/3 holidays a year :mad:
    i hear ya, when it came to my boss's birthday or xmas we used to have to double our money for him and throw in a tenner each for him. Needless to say , he never threw in the fiver for our birthdays. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Old Tom wrote: »
    I don't give money, I don't want anyone's money. Yes, I'm an antisocial cnut and I like it to stay this way.

I agree with that

Nobody where i work knows my birthday. I would hate a fuss made. I just say nothing on my birthday or book it off as a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

i hear ya, when it came to my boss's birthday or xmas we used to have to double our money for him and throw in a tenner each for him. Needless to say , he never threw in the fiver for our birthdays. ;)

Why.... :eek: things like that make me want to scream. What lick arse came up with that rule. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement