Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workplace whip arounds

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublin80

woodoo wrote: »
    Why.... :eek: things like that make me want to scream. What lick arse came up with that rule. :mad:
    the lick arse that arranged collections for everyones birthdays, think she was related to the boss, OR fancied him. OR was just a pure Lick

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Curious one

What makes me laugh is when there is a whip around at Christmas for the supervisor. Comical. People spend the whole year bitching about the person but then feel they should reward them with money in a card. I always refuse this but have no bother throwing into other collections once there reasonable reasons i.e. for charity etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Completely retarded, it's not like it's for people who have been fired or let go (in my experiences), people who are moving on to something they'd prefer to do.

I've been asked for money for people who have been the job for years and I was working there a few days.

WTF is the point of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Scumbag gob$hites disenchanted with their pathetic lives and inferior job roles, I find, are always at the heart of these bull$hit collections escaping for a few minutes from their pathetic jobs by attempting to exert control over people by trying to embarrass them into paying a few quid for one of their scumbag colleagues.

I saw one collection at work a few months back. I paid a fiver to get the nutbag bltch to get her off my back, but a young girl there is barely scraping by and obviously didn't want to give anything. She was asked 3 times by the collector until she finally gave in. It's nothing more than a nasty form of harassment. And what exactly does it achieve ? The buying of token, $hite present that no-one wants anyway.

The worst case I saw was a woman in a workplace with obvious psychiatric problems. When she wasn't out sick, she would be wasting her time at work organising the next collection. She used to put up a list on the wall of everyone who hadn't paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Running a marathon for charity is a noble aim, fair play and I'll kick in some sponsorship

But why is it always far flung locations like New York?

There are marathons held all over Ireland.

Am I paying for your shopping trip to New York?
    Sly ;)

And sorry ladies, a mini marathon is not a marathon
    Well done and all for what you did but don't tell us you completed a marathon

With you on the whole mini marathon thing. I really cant be arsed sponsoring someone to walk around town for 10k. Fair enough if they're running it or at least doing some training for it. Anyone could wake up tomorrow and walk a 10k. Last time I went to see the other half doing it (think she did it in 44 mins or there abouts) and I spotted a group of ladies coming out of McD's with a Big Mac in one hand while lighting up a fag in the other. I haven't seen either of those on any training program before??!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thankfully its ground to a halt in our office.

It started with one girl who was adamant that she didnt want a collection for her wedding. One biddy ingnored her wishes and rattled a card under everybody's noses, and it was promptly donated to the local hospice on behalf of the company by the bride and groom and a thankyou letter posted on the notice board.

Then another guy who was leaving sent an email saying not to have a whip around for him, because he was leaving to pursue education. Then other leavers followed suit.

Now, if anyone wants to raise money for a charity, they bake stuff and suggest a small donation, and its a win-win. They get money for their charity, I get cake for tea break!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Neyite wrote: »
    Thankfully its ground to a halt in our office.

It started with one girl who was adamant that she didnt want a collection for her wedding. One biddy ingnored her wishes and rattled a card under everybody's noses, and it was promptly donated to the local hospice on behalf of the company by the bride and groom and a thankyou letter posted on the notice board.

Then another guy who was leaving sent an email saying not to have a whip around for him, because he was leaving to pursue education. Then other leavers followed suit.

Now, if anyone wants to raise money for a charity, they bake stuff and suggest a small donation, and its a win-win. They get money for their charity, I get cake for tea break!

some sensible people there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hi,
    I find it much better to all go a a session and get the one who is leavin a few drinks but that just me
    JB:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Workplace reach arounds would have been a more interesting thread......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CK75

Seriously fed-up of whip-arounds in my workplace too.

Maybe I am a tight ass, but they get on my nerves. Always someone's birthday, had a baby, doing the mini-marathon (ooooh walk 10km how fit you are!!!).

I tend to ignore the things, pass the bag on quietly, hoping it doesnt come back my way again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I often gave gladly to whiprounds. But it got to be a pain in a crap job where a lot of people were leaving. It was getting expensive!

I never did get one myself:mad: On the other hand after three redundancies in a row. I was walking out with a lot more cash in hand! 40k the first time, 3k the second and 25k the third time. Now that's some whipround.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just as annoying is people coming into work with their childs sponsor card. I have so many nieces & nephews who I sponsor already I don't need to be sponsor a child I don't even know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Years ago I worked for this horrible man. the tradition was that at Christmas everyone would donate £10 each to get him a Christmas present. Now this was almost 20 years ago. I was newly married earning £8500 pa and had about £50 to get all my Christmas presents with. I discussed it with a couple of colleagues whoa ll agreed that it was too much and we all said we would give £5.
    Anyway when the time came, I told the collector person that I'd give £5 and she said to had to be £10 or nothing so I said ok nothing then. All the others caved and paid the £10.
    The horrible git had a massive heart attack over the Christmas holidays and by the time he came back I'd left.

Advertisement