Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Deferral?

• 01-05-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently going through Selection for the GR, I am due to attend for medical exam in May.

Over the past few months, my outlook with employment and opportunities has become uncertain and a move to the UK is on the cards. I'm wondering what the best strategy is regarding the GR. If I was still in Ireland I'd love to do it, but the fact that things are so uncertain and I may have to move abroad in the near future, I wonder whether I should pull our completely or whether I can defer entry for a number of months until I'm more certain, I may end up back in Ireland after a few months etc. Has anyone any experience of this at all?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks,

Djor!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

To any mod's: Thread can be closed, I've contacted AGS directly and they've given me info, I can defer training for a number of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

djor88 wrote: »
    I can defer training for a number of months.

how many months are you allowed defer it?

and after that point, must you accept or reject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

WilcoOut wrote: »
    how many months are you allowed defer it?

and after that point, must you accept or reject?

Hi, well I said on the phone i may be leaving the country for 6 months to a year, they said that's ok, they can defer for up to a year at the maximum.

After that point you have to start or reject it, basically i'll have my medical done, head away and when I'm back they said i'd start with the next batch of recruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

12months?! the reserve could be full by then!

cheers for the reply

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

if it was me i would probably be looking to see what i have a better chance of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

if it was me i would probably be looking to see what i have a better chance of

Defo wont be full-time thats for sure, with the new roster in place they are falling over each other, you have three units crossing over each other at any one time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

Hi, Just an unrelated question, could someone send me a link on where you apply to join the GR

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Hi, Just an unrelated question, could someone send me a link on where you apply to join the GR

Here ya go Link

Advertisement