Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glengarry Glen Ross @ The Gate

Options
  • 01-05-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Previews from the 24th, opening night, the 29th.

Yeah, I'll have some of that. Never seen the play, only the movie.

Comments

Can anyone tell me which are the best seats at The Gate, never been!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I prefer sitting up in in the front 2 rows at the theatre.

Went to see this play last week, excellent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Assume they are paying people for this production :p
    Is it the same production Co as ran in the Gaiety (that caused all that PR controversy) by chance?

I missed the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Saw it last night. Really enjoyable production. Cast was excellent, with maybe one minor gripe about the actor playing Williamson; he lacked a little punch.

Great show though. Recommend it highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It was a lot shorter than I was expecting though.

Best seats for me would be row 3 or 4 in the middle. Spitting distance but not neck craney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I am interested to read the comments on this as above. What was it that people enjoyed about the play, i.e. humour, acting, story, etc?

I went to see this last night and having read reviews I was looking forward very much to the show, looking for a good laugh given that its a pulitzer prize winning comedy. The best thing I can say about it now is that at least it was short. The comedy was not great and not often throughout, I laughed maybe 3 or 4 times thoughout and some of these were cheap swear related ones. The third section of the first half of the play in particular was noncensicle and uninteresting- it didnt convey anything of interest into the story. I thought the story itself was lacking with no level of layers contained within it. Without a more layered story it was hard to relate to the characters. The only positive I came out with was that the actors were excellent. Someone in the audience had their phone ring as the last 2-3 lines of the play were delivered but by that stage I was not even irritated- if anything it summed up the experience for me. I see maybe 4-5 theatre shows a year lately, though mostly more local Irish shows and this was first trip to the Gate. Is this show typical of the type of play in the Gate theatre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Dunno why the Gate's website calls it a comedy, it's not supposed to be! (Although some of the lines are hilarious when delivered the right way)

Advertisement