Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you research potential partners/dates?

• 01-05-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Was very surprised in work today to hear two girls talking about how anytime they meet a new guy, they look him up on Facebook and Google before they'll go out with him. Is this the new norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Gotta see if they're DTF or not, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I always request nudes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i go to the garda station before any dates i go on, just in case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

It is the norm. I said it to a girl once that I checked her out on Facebook before a "date" and she freaked out :confused: Like WTF ya expect?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Yes, if they haven't done a bukkakee on xVideos, they can fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Del 2.0

Seriously!!!
    But what do you get to see except the FB profile pic?

Del 2.0 wrote: »
    Seriously!!!

Well you google the sh!t out of them as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Depends on their privacy settings and their friends' privacy settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Is there no romance left in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

its your eyes there so pretty they make diamonds look ugly :)

• Advertisement

That's what I thought when I heard this first.... But I'm guessing you might find some juicy stuff too that could help

Romance =/= being abducted by 400lb man because you didn't check out FB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Never really bothered. I liked to take people at face value.

Besides, google'in randim womens names would likely arouse the suspicions of my wife, and as a "cut bollox off first ask questions later" type of lady i tend to avoid such activity

It shows you're interested. Well a few girleens said it to me so I thought it was the norm but I made the mistake of mentioning that I did it once and the stalker alerts went off, but most people add ya within 5 mins of knowing you so what's the big deal. :confused:

I'd be very surprised if people didn't check each other out first. No, actually I wouldn't believe it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

This is how I do my stalking research...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Snowie wrote: »
    its your eyes there so pretty they make diamonds look ugly :)

awh :o
    the fact that we're friends on FB makes this slightly creepier :pac:
    That's what I thought when I heard this first.... But I'm guessing you might find some juicy stuff too that could help

What would knowing 'juicy stuff' about them help with?

What would knowing 'juicy stuff' about them help with?

It could give an indication as to when you're going to hit that ass so you can invest the appropriate amount of time into the relationship.

The sooner you hit that, the more time you invest. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Seachmall wrote: »
    Romance =/= being abducted by 400lb man because you didn't check out FB.

If a 400lb man manages to abduct you then you deserve to be abducted. What's he going to do sneak up on you and then make a quick getaway? Not very likely now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Was very surprised in work today to hear two girls talking about how anytime they meet a new guy, they look him up on Facebook and Google before they'll go out with him. Is this the new norm?

Nope I leave it to loosers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Never heard this to be honest, but I suppose if I met a dude out & we were chatting and thentexting or whatever, I'd have no objections to him adding me on FB to see if he wanted to meet up again or not. I've nothing to hide on FB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well the guy Im currently seeing sent me the link to the company he works for to check him out that he was legit etc. I would never have asked but he did anyway.

Dovies wrote: »
    Well the guy Im currently seeing sent me the link to the company he works for to check him out that he was legit etc. I would never have asked but he did anyway.

So do you think people do it as a safety thing or just being plain nosey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

awh :o
    the fact that we're friends on FB makes this slightly creepier :pac:

Im just creeping about :D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Probably a bit of both. But we met online so thats probably why he sent it to me - just for my peace of mind. I did check it out (just to be nosey)! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hill runner

The girl in work did it and she found out the guy she was going to date is Bisexual and a member of Irish Swingers Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I generally spent some time living in their attic - I find it helps to break the ice when I do ask the lady out.

Checking out FB profiles is just creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Checking out FB profiles is just creepy.

I've experienced conversations with girls at college trawling through a Facebook event page they're going to and stalking guy's profiles they don't know as they've clicked confirm and saying things like "Oh he looks fit I'm going to try and get with him..." :rolleyes:

mackg wrote: »
    If a 400lb man manages to abduct you then you deserve to be abducted. What's he going to do sneak up on you and then make a quick getaway? Not very likely now is it?

He could be disguised as a beautiful, petite lady and then when he gets close *BOOM!*; he has you in a bear hug.

You can never be too careful, these are scary times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

pipl.com is for the pro dater.

check out their email address, username or real name for their digital footprint and see what your getting yourself into first.

YOUR WELCOME AH. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

No you absolutely have to suss them out beforehand imo (sure I wrote a blog giving 'tips' on creeping beforehand!). Especially if you met while pissed, to see if they're not actually minging sans beer goggles.

If they put the information out there themselves, then you'd be a fool not to use it. If you know what to look for, it tells you all you need to know about them that texting or dating in the early stages (when they're only showing you the side of their personality they want you to see) simply doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I would class performing internet searches and snooping around on facebook pages as disrespectful of someone's privacy to be honest. While you should never put anything that you want to keep private on the internet, we cannot control what other people put up on the internet about us, like tagging in facebook photos and the like.

If you are interested in the person, I think adding the person on facebook is fine as the person is aware of what they are letting you see to a certain degree.

hightower1 wrote: »
    pipl.com

I used that a while back to track down the mo-fo who's been stealing my username and registering on various sites with it.

Turns out he's part spammer, part asshole, most likely in his 30s, most likely Canadian.

Some day I'm going to show up at his door and ask him what the fuck he's doing with my username.

Be careful when you search for people on Facebook and this site comes up.

www.abouteveryone.com, another scam site and you have to pay to get rid of the fake, nasty comments.

http://news.inprogress.us/tag/abouteveryone-com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hehe set your FB profile to private... they wont get any info without first friend requesting ya

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I dont get the privacy thing tbh. Facebook is all about putting info up in the public sphere. You shouldnt put anything on it you dont want people to see or know. If friends put up bad stuff, ask them to take it down. Not rocket science. And if theres a big secret you want to keep from an individual but yet your still posting about online, maybe you need to ask yourself if thats a relationship thats going to hold up...

• Advertisement

The girl in work did it and she found out the guy she was going to date is Bisexual and a member of Irish Swingers Club.

WTF!!! This totally validates it IMO. Chances of finding that out quickly are pretty slim.... unless that's the club where she met him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I hope not. It's a bit on the mad side..

WTF!!! This totally validates it IMO. Chances of finding that out quickly are pretty slim.... unless that's the club where she met him

100% the truth. She put his email address in google and the Swinger website came up with his name and the exact email he was using to communicate with her. He doesn't bother use the fake name on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't say I'd do it tbh! Have to take people as you find them imo!

Oh and even if I gave ye my real name you'd not fnd out anything about me on the internet, I am completely anonymous on the world wide web! :D

As far as ye are concerned the only thing ye'd know about me is that I'm partial to a bit of unconsented prostate massaging :pac:

Tho I'd consent 100% of the time :p

Still think the Bisexual swinger is the best ever.
    Think that'll be hard to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleazy Rider

Any potential Doris who I found out had been checking me out on tinternet would be immediately binned. Not that she could anyway as my privacy is locked right down on book of face.

Advertisement