Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People throwing bread out of their houses

• 01-05-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭

So I was on the bus the otherday, going through Crumlin when I spotted some woman throwing four loaves bread outside her house into her front garden. Although it wasn't much of a garden tbh. But it's not the first time I've seen it before. In Ballyfermot there's a street that I can't remember the name of where my grandparents used to live. There was a small green in the area facing all these houses on the street and people used to throw bread(Sometime other leftovers) onto the green. Now I know it's mainly done to feed the birds and maybe some other animals rather then waste the food by throwing it in the bin, but am I the only one who finds this appalling? It's kind've sickening passing this green and seeing people's leftover bread lying on the grass that's proberly been there for a day or something. It's like littering and I feel it's pretty sad tbh that people would do this on a contant basis. What are other people's opinions on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I think the Gardaí should be given guns to deal with this new and pressing threat.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

When I had rabbits we used to always throw bread out to them. Was the back garden though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I think the Gardaí should be given guns to deal with this new and pressing threat.

Oh it's nothing new, this has been going on for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Riddle101 wrote: »
    It's kind've sickening passing this green and seeing people's leftover bread lying on the grass that's proberly been there for a day or something

and 'bread' is slang for what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

:confused: what the **** is so appalling about that? they're feeding birds/animals, and saving themselves a bit of money on the weight of their bins. my only problem is bread isn't a natural food for any animal, but people be dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

So I was on the bus the otherday, going through Crumlin when I spotted some woman throwing four loaves bread outside her house into her front garden. Although it wasn't much of a garden tbh. But it's not the first time I've seen it before. In Ballyfermot there's a street that I can't remember the name of where my grandparents used to live. There was a small green in the area facing all these houses on the street and people used to throw bread(Sometime other leftovers) onto the green. Now I know it's mainly done to feed the birds and maybe some other animals rather then waste the food by throwing it in the bin, but am I the only one who finds this appalling? It's kind've sickening passing this green and seeing people's leftover bread lying on the grass that's proberly been there for a day or something. It's like littering and I feel it's pretty sad tbh that people would do this on a contant basis. What are other people's opinions on this?
    What a bizarre thing to be pissed off over.

They're only leaving out what they wont use for the birds or whatever, they're not fly tipping.

Oh it's nothing new, this has been going on for years.
    Alright, but when I hear the words "sickening" and "appalling," images of Gulags and Nazi concentration camps spring immediately to mind, rather than bits of sliced pan lying about on the green. Do you think you might be overeacting a teeny tiny bit? Are you in any way related to this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

:confused: what the **** is so appalling about that? they're feeding birds/animals, and saving themselves a bit of money on the weight of their bins. my only problem is bread isn't a natural food for any animal, but people be dumb.

Birds are dumb too. They eat the bread and come back over and over...

...and they love prawn crackers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Brilliant :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Let's make a new law about it, banning.... ohhh F**K it anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

It's for the birds you weirdo. It's probably just gone stale.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Birds are dumb too. They eat the bread and come back over and over...

...and they love prawn crackers!

How does that make them dumb?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

It saves on dog food. I throw out the bread, the rats come to collect and I leave out my terriers. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal.

How does that make them dumb?

They keep coming back to eat the same food that isn't natural for them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

What's the big deal? The birds eat it, and i live just outside my town so actual nice birds, not flying rats or crows

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They keep coming back to eat the same food that isn't natural for them...

yeah.....? it provides energy for them, even if there's no nutritional value in it. that's not dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Abi wrote: »
    What a bizarre thing to be pissed off over.

They're only leaving out what they wont use for the birds or whatever, they're not fly tipping.

Well first of all, it encourages others to do it, if others do it then it just becomes a nuisance of everyone doing it. Do people really want to be going through these areas seeing bread lying around the place that might not even be eaten in a day.

Secondly it attracts rodents, like any food source would. I don't think people want to have that kind've thing happening otherwise who knows what might happen.

Finally, as I said it's like littering. Should people throw their rubbish all over the place as well? because i'm sure the birds and other animals will pick through whatever they can from people's rubbish as well. Dosen't mean it would be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Meh, it was a crap show anyway.

Not to mention, that Lilo Lill was a TART!

provides energy
    no nutritional value
    :confused:

yeah.....? it provides energy for them, even if there's no nutritional value in it. that's not dumb.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Another crusty bashing thread.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Feckin Birds again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

ut am I the only one who finds this appalling?

#firstworldproblems
    Not sure if you understand the word 'appalling'. What Hitler did was appalling.. people throwing bread out in the garden isn't appalling.

Imo it's better than throwing it in the bin.. birds will eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

If you were a bird, fox, stray dog or whatever, you'd be glad of it.

Well first of all, it encourages others to do it, if others do it then it just becomes a nuisance of everyone doing it. Do people really want to be going through these areas seeing bread lying around the place that might not even be eaten in a day.

Secondly it attracts rodents, like any food source would. I don't think people want to have that kind've thing happening otherwise who knows what might happen.

Finally, as I said it's like littering. Should people throw their rubbish all over the place as well? because i'm sure the birds and other animals will pick through whatever they can from people's rubbish as well. Dosen't mean it would be a good thing.

I agree that it would become a nuisance for society if everyone was to do it. but that's not what the OP was about.

Have you ever seen rodents around, eating it?

Throwing food out for something to eat it doesn't equate to throwing rubbish out.

If that's confusing for you, you may want to look up what nutrients are.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Yes indeed. Who knows what might happen? I'd like to know what might happen. Or even what would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

and whats with trees dropping their leaves all over the place? I've noticed this happens particularly in autumn, it's no different that littering IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I couldn't finish a fillet steak on Sunday so I chopped it up into tiny pieces and left it in the backgarden for the sparrows.

Surely the best meal a gang off sparrows have ever had, I'd say they'll remember that day for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

For humans it would be like eating cakes and sweets instead of fruit and veg.

• Advertisement

Well first of all, it encourages others to do it, if others do it then it just becomes a nuisance of everyone doing it.

I'm sorry but thats utter bollox, I throw out bread so my neighbours are going to do it?? Not everyone gives a shyte about birds.

I don't throw out loaves of bread. I throw out the heels for them, as well as proper bird feed.

Abi wrote: »
    I throw out the heels for them, as well as proper bird feed.

The heels are the best part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Sykk wrote: »
    What Hitler did was appalling.. people throwing bread out in the garden isn't appalling.

Yes, but do you think Hitler started out with taking over Austria & Poland & setting up concentration camps? I wouldn't be at all surprised if it began with a bit of 'harmless' bread throwing in a green area. This needs to be nipped in the bud now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I couldn't finish a fillet steak on Sunday so I chopped it up into tiny pieces and left it in the backgarden for the sparrows.

Surely the best meal a gang off sparrows have ever had, I'd say they'll remember that day for the rest of their lives.

I wonder what Mad Cow disease does to Sparrows:eek:

The heels are the best part.

Would you like me to send them to you instead of giving them to the birds? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

They ate the steak I take it. Class. Can't ever say ive seen sparrows eating meat before.

And as for the OP's post - they were feeding the birds, not littering and chances are 30 mins after the bread was thrown out, there wouldn't be a trace of it left. No big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

but recession has hit the birds hard this year.... since the property tax, vat increases, & banks not lending, came in the bird's nests got more expensive to build and maintain. Just blame Phil Hogan for your issues with bread on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

should they crumb them first in case the birds choke?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Was she foreign-looking, eastern European say? I hear bread is used in some parts as swan-bait.

ronan45 wrote: »
    should they crumb them first in case the birds choke?:rolleyes:

And ideally soak them in water :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This is absolutely appalling, someone call Joe Duffy and tell him, he'll blow it out of all proportion...oh hang on you've already done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

some weirdo around the corner from me throws bread into the middle of the road every morning, so there's always a load of seagulls and crows sitting in the middle of the road like eejits.

Also the seagulls around here are fcuking enormous, they're bigger than most dogs. Scary things.

If that's confusing for you, you may want to look up what nutrients are.
    Don't have to go far, I'm grippin' and sippin' a litre of milk here:

Nutritional information

Average values per 100ml:

(first heading)Energy: 269kJ/64kcal.

As to complete the two-pronged attack, I'll consult the OED:
    Nutrition: food or nourishment:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nutrition
    Nutrient: a substance that provides nourishment essential for the maintenance of life and for growth:

I have the highest authority for speakers of British - and, by extension, Hiberno - English and a mother****ing milk carton on my side. Who's gonna argue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

People are throwing bread out of their houses now! :eek:

Well that's the straw that broke the camel's back for me, society is fucked. Time to emigrate. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Attracting rats is all they're doing. Disgusting vermon.

Don't have to go far, I'm grippin' and sippin' a litre of milk here:

Nutritional information

Average values per 100ml:

(first heading)Energy: 269kJ/64kcal.

As to complete the two-pronged attack, I'll consult the OED:

I have the highest authority for speakers of British - and, by extension, Hiberno - English and a mother****ing milk carton on my side. Who's gonna argue with that?

I am :confused:

you're saying that because the calorie content is listed under 'Nutritional Information' on your milk carton, that calories are nutrients?
    You need a bit of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Milk has an unhealthy amount of pus and blood in it.

I am :confused:

you're saying that because the calorie content is listed under 'Nutritional Information' on your milk carton, that calories are nutrients?
    You need a bit of common sense.
    How do animals obtain their calories? Through digestible molecules likes fats, carbohydrates and proteins.

What are fats, carbohydrates and proteins? They're macronutrients.

What are macronutrients? Well, they're...nutrients.

You could probably do with some to give you the energy to keep digging that hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

How do animals obtain their calories? Through digestible molecules likes fats, carbohydrates and proteins.

What are fats, carbohydrates and proteins? They're macronutrients.

What are macronutrients? Well, they're...nutrients.

You could probably do with some to give you the energy to keep digging that hole.

The point was about birds and bread and its nutritional value.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whatfood/scraps.aspx
    All types of bread are acceptable to birds, but ideally it should only be just one component in a varied diet. Bread does not contain the necessary protein and fat birds need from their diet, and so it can act as an empty filler. Although bread isn't harmful to birds, try not to offer it in large quantities, since its nutritional value is relatively low. A bird that is on a diet of predominantly, or only bread, can suffer from serious vitamin deficiencies, or starve.

Calories are not nutrients. It's that simple. Water has no calories, but has many nutrients. Butter has little nutritional value, but has lots of calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The birds generally eat it. I throw bread to the birds if I pass them walking down the street. Its not a big deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement