Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People throwing bread out of their houses

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Thrill wrote: »
    The point was about birds and bread and its nutritional value.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whatfood/scraps.aspx
    Fair enough , I didn't know it was particularly bad for them. (though low nurtrional value =/= no nutritional value. I don't want to get too petty here.)
    Calories are not nutrients. It's that simple. Water has no calories, but has many nutrients. Butter has little nutritional value, but has lots of calories.
    Calories are a measure of energy like joules. The compounds from which we derive calories, macronutrients, are nutrients (it's in the name). Here's the wiki entry on macronutrients, under the section on...nutrients. If you don't trust wiki I have some biology and organic chemistry textbooks here that have my back on this.

If you've never done biology at any level then fair enough (though wouldn't that be reason to assume you mightn't be too well up on biological definitions and it might be worth double checking?) This is fairly basic stuff.

I think you're assuming nutrients refers exclusively to micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.

As an aside, butter's actually quite nutritious by your own definition. In particular as a source of Vitamin K which isn't found in many common foodstuffs. Pretty decent food in moderation that gets a bad rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I agree that it would become a nuisance for society if everyone was to do it. but that's not what the OP was about.

Have you ever seen rodents around, eating it?

Throwing food out for something to eat it doesn't equate to throwing rubbish out.

If that's confusing for you, you may want to look up what nutrients are.

Thankfully no I haven't, but sure I don't live in an area that does that type of thing. Still though, dosen't mean it won't attract rodents.
    Abi wrote: »
    I'm sorry but thats utter bollox, I throw out bread so my neighbours are going to do it?? Not everyone gives a shyte about birds.

I don't throw out loaves of bread. I throw out the heels for them, as well as proper bird feed.

Yeah not everyone gives a shyte about birds, but some people just throw the bread out to get rid of it, rather then throw it in the trash. Also I said it encourages that type of behavior, and didn't say everyone on the road was going to do it. But there are those who might see someone on the same street doing it, and might think "hey that's a good way to get rid of my bread i'll do it aswell". It sends out the wrong message about keeping your area clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Abi wrote: »
    What a bizarre thing to be pissed off over.

They're only leaving out what they wont use for the birds or whatever, they're not fly tipping.

It's a slippery road. Oh, sure, it starts all innocent...

"We just wanted to feed the birds from time to time"

But then you get hooked and before you know it you're a unwashed crusty with dreadlocks living in a tree and drinking your own urine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Fair enough , I didn't know it was particularly bad for them. (though low nurtrional value =/= no nutritional value. I don't want to get too petty here.)

Neither did I until I read this thread. It looks like it's their version of junk/fast food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

should move this thread to the
    nature and birdwatching forum

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Where I live there's a large open green space and myself and a few other neighbours throw our leftover bread there. Judging by the fights the birds sometimes have with each other to get to eat it, I don't think there's ever anything left for rats to be attracted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

Why don't you nip into her garden and grab a few slices? Pull off the mould and stick it in the toaster and it'll be grand. Especially with some of that vitamin K rich butter stuff on it. Save you a fortune it will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

I usually throw out birds for the snakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Ducks appear every so often into the garden of our apt. block and (apart from the odd longing to chuck them onto the pan...by me..) people often throw out broken up bread out to them...Don't see anything odd about it myself.

The ducks are happy....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Around my neck of the woods it started with bread and extended to every bit of waste "for the birds". Gateway food and all that :D The main bread issue, bird piss and crap. Lots of it. Oh and Seagulls. Hate 'em.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    They ate the steak I take it. Class. Can't ever say ive seen sparrows eating meat before.

Um.....
    Worms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yeah not everyone gives a shyte about birds, but some people just throw the bread out to get rid of it, rather then throw it in the trash.
    But thats your perception of it. I don't throw out the heels for the birds because I don't want to put it in the trash. I rarely have a full brown bin, so it's no skin off my nose if it goes in the brown bin or not. I actually break it up and leave it out for the birds purposefully.

If you're going to be angry about stuff being thrown about, then I'd be more inclined to get my knickers in a knot over people that litter or fling cigarette butts where they feel like it. Not when what you're throwing out is for the purpose of little creature to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

this should have been utterly buttered by now. .but put urself in the brain of a blue TIT for example.while sitting in a tree,starving, waiting for that woman to throw bread out.a stranger approaches her door and stops here distributing said bread because he/she finds it unnatractive commuting to work. . .WWJD???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Another crusty bashing thread.:(

mmmm, crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Alright, but when I hear the words "sickening" and "appalling," images of Gulags and Nazi concentration camps spring immediately to mind, rather than bits of sliced pan lying about on the green. Do you think you might be overeacting a teeny tiny bit? Are you in any way related to this guy?

haha knew somebody would bring up that overreacting newspaper guy:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

feck off crows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

bb1234567 wrote: »
    haha knew somebody would bring up that overreacting newspaper guy:D

Never forget!

Advertisement