Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGuirks Golf Shop Blanchardstown - Dispute

Options
  • 01-05-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hired a set of golf clubs from McGuirks Blanchardstown on 20/04/2012.

their procedure is the customer puts a 500 euro deposit via credit card on the set of clubs. the customer can then use the clubs for 3 days, return them to McGuriks and they then refund the credit card by 465 euro, meaning club hire for 3 days costs 35 euro.

i returned the clubs to McGuirks in good condition on 23/04/2012, however they could not find the agreement i had signed with them, or the list of clubs i had hired, but they said that it was okay and they were satisfied that i had returned the clubs in good condition.

i got a receipt from them detailing the refund amount.

as we know credit card transactions can take 3-5 working days to go through.

however, after a period of 5 working days no refund has been made to my card. i phoned them yesterday and asked why the refund hadn't been made. they assured me the refund had been made and i would receive it today. But nothing has been refunded.

they then called me back a while ago and said that they phoned the company that handles their refunds, and this company said they have no record of McGuriks making any refund to my credit card, hence no refund.

i have now been told that i can wait another 3-5 working days for another refund. but if they didn't make the refund the 1st time then i've no confidence in them to do it a 2nd time either.

this is terrible customer service. i called my bank, and i can do a charge back on the original payment of 500 euro to McGuirks, they will then have 45 days to dispute the payment.

wondering if i should go this route?

they have offered to give me cash of 465 euro if i call in store. but how many more customers have experienced this?

p.s. - i am going to post this in the golf forum as well as a warning to others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi,

I hired a set of golf clubs from McGuirks Blanchardstown on 20/04/2012.

their procedure is the customer puts a 500 euro deposit via credit card on the set of clubs. the customer can then use the clubs for 3 days, return them to McGuriks and they then refund the credit card by 465 euro, meaning club hire for 3 days costs 35 euro.

i returned the clubs to McGuirks in good condition on 23/04/2012, however they could not find the agreement i had signed with them, or the list of clubs i had hired, but they said that it was okay and they were satisfied that i had returned the clubs in good condition.

i got a receipt from them detailing the refund amount.

as we know credit card transactions can take 3-5 working days to go through.

however, after a period of 5 working days no refund has been made to my card. i phoned them yesterday and asked why the refund hadn't been made. they assured me the refund had been made and i would receive it today. But nothing has been refunded.

they then called me back a while ago and said that they phoned the company that handles their refunds, and this company said they have no record of McGuriks making any refund to my credit card, hence no refund.

i have now been told that i can wait another 3-5 working days for another refund. but if they didn't make the refund the 1st time then i've no confidence in them to do it a 2nd time either.

this is terrible customer service. i called my bank, and i can do a charge back on the original payment of 500 euro to McGuirks, they will then have 45 days to dispute the payment.

wondering if i should go this route?

they have offered to give me cash of 465 euro if i call in store. but how many more customers have experienced this?

p.s. - i am going to post this in the golf forum as well as a warning to others.
    how is this an issue??refunds can take a while to go back on to the card,in this case something has happend out of their control and now they are sorting you out via cash.why are you going warning others when the shop realised their was a mess up and are taking full responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Let's see if I have this straight: they phoned you to tell you something had gone wrong with the processing of the refund; they offered to set the process going again, or to make the refund in cash.

Sometimes things go wrong. That's life. I would not judge a firm on the basis of a single thing going wrong, but on how they deal with the situation when it happens. In my opinion, they have attempted to deal with things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not cross post in multiple forums. Choose one or the other.

dudara

In fairness to the shop, they appear to have been responsive in dealing with your issue, and have suggested to make the refund by cash. Something clearly went wrong on their systems, but they have acted well in dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

what if i was a visitor from the uk - how would i get a refund then?

it's the principle of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... it's the principle of the issue.
    What principle?

Things sometimes go wrong. Most times, they get fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I think you are being a little unreasonable here.

They accept there is a mess up somewhere and have offered you cash to fix it. If all companies were so willing to solve problems as simply as that, this forum would not exist.

Take the cash and problem solved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what if i was a visitor from the uk - how would i get a refund then?

Back to their credit card of course, only a fool would request that the company post them a cash refund.

Mistakes happen, they've offered a solution and your not being very reasonable with them.

If you want to do a chargeback for the full amount through your bank then do but remember you then owe them money!

Let's see if I have this straight: they phoned you to tell you something had gone wrong with the processing of the refund; they offered to set the process going again, or to make the refund in cash.

No you don't have it straight.

they never contacted me once to say something went wrong. I had to phone them telling them something was wrong.

i was told 'no we made the refund', they even said they checked with their bank, but subsequently rowed back on that story bringing in an 'outside company' that handles their refunds, who told them no attempt to make a refund had happened - i.e. they didn't refund anything despite me being told twice that they had.

i certainly don't regard that as being above board. their cash offer is the very least they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

they never contacted me once to say something went wrong.

Which is it?

A business, much like an individual, won't see whether or not there's a problem until they get a statement.

In this case you contacted them, they followed it up and checked it out, they contacted you to say they'd put it through again or give you cash back, and you're not happy with the customer service.

You did the transaction on Friday 20/4/12, which would have you returning the clubs and them refunding your deposit on Monday 23/4/12. Assuming that you used a credit card whose transactions to go through in 3-5 working days, that would have the refund through sometime between Thursday 26/4/12 and Monday 20/4/12. So they've had 1-2 working days to resolve this, no more.

Is all of this right? If so, where is the problem; from the information you've given us, they sound as if they're on the ball and quite efficient.

i certainly don't regard that as being above board. their cash offer is the very least they should do

I think that they appear to be very "above board", and offering you cash isn't something they have to do; that's them trying to make things convenient for you.

i called my bank, and i can do a charge back on the original payment of 500 euro to McGuirks, they will then have 45 days to dispute the payment.

They're being reasonable with you; you taking this approach isn't being reasonable to them.

Fey! wrote: »
    Which is it?

They're being reasonable with you; you taking this approach isn't being reasonable to them.

they called me back after i had contacted them, should be clear enough.

having told me they checked bank/yep refund made twice only subsequently tell me in fact it was another outside company that handled refunds and not the bank then i thinks it's pretty clear that their initial story was untrue, as any real checking with their bank would have shown no refund made as it wasn't the bank that made it. but they still told me that twice.

only later after being put onto a different person did this other version of events unfold i.e. - not the bank that makes the refund/ other company instead. but other say no payment made to my card because no refund had been issued in the first place.

but yeah i got 'erra wait another 3-5 working days, sure it might show up yet' bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

they have offered to give me cash of 465 euro if i call in store.

I'm sorry but you've lost any sympathy I might have had for you with that statement. Clearly the store wants to sort you out as soon as possible, even by handing over cash for a transaction that you might not have to pay for for several weeks, depending on your credit card billing cycle.

Getting a cash refund for a credit card transaction is pretty rare, given that the store has to pay a % of the transaction to the handling company. Thumbs up to the store for making that gesture and thumbs down to you for splashing this grievance all over multiple fora in an obvious attempt to blacken their reputation, shame on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Obviously the OP is the most brilliant individual that ever lived on this planet. He has never ever made a mistake or error and has lived the 100% perfect life. Therefore we shoudl all treat him with absolute utmost respect and never ever make an error when dealing with him.

or

mistakes happen

mistakes get rectified

That's life

As for McGuirks - they are possibly the best golf shop in Ireland and have an absolutley brilliant reputation for customer care and form memory they won or were finalists in retail excellence of Ireland awards last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

TBH OP it sounds like you are a customer from hell and i wouldn't be surprised if you find all minor inconveniences that the retail industy present to you as a massive issue.

to me it looks like it was an overlook, ie someone forgot to process the payment and theyve done their best to get you your money back.

lets not forget that theyve no documented evidence that you actually bought/hired these clubs so they could have disputed this a lot more and IMO have been quite good with your situation

TBH

lets not forget that theyve no documented evidence that you actually bought/hired these clubs so they could have disputed this a lot more and IMO have been quite good with your situation

apart from the slight fact that they deducted 500 euro from my credit card account, which my bank certainly has a record of and were applying interest on. i said that i'd hired the clubs, not bought them in the OP.

the fact that they went and lost/misplaced the paper work associated with the club hire has absolutely nothing to do with me. that is a reflection of how they manage their systems. when i returned the clubs they couldn't even agree on what type/brand/how many clubs i'd hired. i had to tell them. one of their member of staff, having looked at the clubs said ' i think they're all back '. !!!

but you know what, they day one of you are in dispute about a refund, and told a load of porkies by the trader in question, and have to drive to a store to collect cash because the trader didn't refund your card as per their own agreement, although did most certainly did debit it, then lets see how you react shall we.

sandin wrote: »
    Obviously the OP is the most brilliant individual that ever lived on this planet. He has never ever made a mistake or error and has lived the 100% perfect life. Therefore we shoudl all treat him with absolute utmost respect and never ever make an error when dealing with him.

beyond idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jeez, You really are making a mountain out of this very small ant hill.:rolleyes: An error was made and they will fix it. It happens; get over it. I actually think they handled it well.

coylemj wrote: »

Getting a cash refund for a credit card transaction is pretty rare, given that the store has to pay a % of the transaction to the handling company. !
    and of course i wasn't getting charged interest on the 500 euro that they took from my credit card account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

and of course i wasn't getting charged interest on the 500 euro that they took from my credit card account.

I thought you hired the clubs on the 20th of April? How are you possibly paying interest on your card for this amount already?

Bleeding Nora! What interest have you paid so far?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Your not paying any interest. Stop being hysterical. The refund failed for some reason and now they're doing it again. If that's not ok they offered you cash.

Your not from the UK.

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    I thought you hired the clubs on the 20th of April? How are you possibly paying interest on your card for this amount already?

the interest is applied from the day the transaction occurred (20/04/2012), not when the next billing date happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

the interest is applied from the day the transaction occurred (20/04/2012), not when the next billing date happens.

Say your billing date is the first of the month. On May 1st you will get a bill - this bill will include all purchases in April and will be due on June 1st. Only after June 1st do you start incurring late fees on this charge. If the shop gives you the money, you just use that to pay off that bill, no fees/interest incurred!

You know how a credit card works, right?

Newaglish wrote: »
    Say your billing date is the first of the month. On May 1st you will get a bill - this bill will include all purchases in April and will be due on June 1st. Only after June 1st do you start incurring late fees on this charge. If the shop gives you the money, you just use that to pay off that bill, no fees/interest incurred!

You know how a credit card works, right?
    yes i do, and thanks for pointing that out.

Can't really see the problem. An error occurred, it's being sorted and OP will get refund, albeit a little later than planned. Can sympathise to a certain extent that the error happened in the first place, but that's life. I think they've acted honorably in this instance though.

Once I pay off my credit card within a set no. of days I'm not charged interest, thus I have never paid any interest on it. Thought they were all the same but am open to correction.

Both my OH and dad play golf so consequently I've been a customer of McGuirks for years. Without exception I've found them to be very professional, efficient and helpful over the years. I bought something at Christmas and it was the wrong thing. They offered a full refund even though there was nothing wrong with it... I always leave their stores feeling that they're good at what they do.

You can't understand Credit Card transactions after making that statement.:p

I see all the replies on the Golf Forum agree with those here. I think you can take it then that this is a non-issue and you are over-reacting big time.

Op, you're over reacting here, you're getting your refund. The fact you're being overly pedantic about it being mishandled isn't going to win you any sympathy here.

At the end of the day they're giving you your money back less rental, which realistically they probably don't have to do since there was nothing faulty with the product itself.

Stop complaining and be thankful you're getting your money back. Then go get fitted for your next set of clubs before purchasing them

susiespark wrote: »
    Can't really see the problem. An error occurred, it's being sorted and OP will get refund, albeit a little later than planned. Can sympathise to a certain extent that the error happened in the first place, but that's life. I think they've acted honorably in this instance though.

Once I pay off my credit card within a set no. of days I'm not charged interest, thus I have never paid any interest on it. Thought they were all the same but am open to correction.

Both my OH and dad play golf so consequently I've been a customer of McGuirks for years. Without exception I've found them to be very professional, efficient and helpful over the years. I bought something at Christmas and it was the wrong thing. They offered a full refund even though there was nothing wrong with it... I always leave their stores feeling that they're good at what they do.

I'm glad to hear that people have good things to say about McGuirks, i'd be very worried indeed if that wasn't the case.

they have a good store, good stock and generally are helpful.

so perhaps mine was an exception rather than the norm, but with 465 euros seemingly gone into thin air, and had i not contacted them, maybe i wouldn't have been contacted at all.

i went to the store today and was refunded the money ( some people here think i was out of order for even asking for it ) and as i left they guy said to me 'if the money shows up in your account be sure to let us know'.

i'll leave it to others to make of what they want of that comment. but when was the last time you made a payment for a good/service with a credit card and subsequently the money wasn't deducted?

like i said, they didn't make the refund, and it all could have been resolved so easily by them saying.........'you know what it appears that the payment didn't happen for some reason'. But no, their first line of defence was ' oh no we've made the refund, we checked with our bank and it's refunded'.

over and out.

At the end of the day they're giving you your money back less rental, which realistically they probably don't have to do since there was nothing faulty with the product itself.

Stop complaining and be thankful you're getting your money back. Then go get fitted for your next set of clubs before purchasing them

what are you on about here? i never said there was anything faulty about anything.

maybe you're not with it.

I'm glad to hear that people have good things to say about McGuirks, i'd be very worried indeed if that wasn't the case.

they have a good store, good stock and generally are helpful.

so perhaps mine was an exception rather than the norm, but with 465 euros seemingly gone into thin air, and had i not contacted them, maybe i wouldn't have been contacted at all.

i went to the store today and was refunded the money ( some people here think i was out of order for even asking for it ) and as i left they guy said to me 'if the money shows up in your account be sure to let us know'.

i'll leave it to others to make of what they want of that comment. but when was the last time you made a payment for a good/service with a credit card and subsequently the money wasn't deducted?

like i said, they didn't make the refund, and it all could have been resolved so easily by them saying.........'you know what it appears that the payment didn't happen for some reason'. But no, their first line of defence was ' oh no we've made the refund, we checked with our bank and it's refunded'.

over and out.
    For goodness sake! He's still complaining! :mad:

• Advertisement

what are you on about here? i never said there was anything faulty about anything.

maybe you're not with it.

You purchased the product. Technically because there was no fault with the product they were not obliged to give you anything back.

You need to stop complaining as you are officially becoming worse than Victor Meldrew

It's not like mcguirks are trying to screw you over.

They forgot to refund you or did it incorrectly, you rang to complain you hadn't recieved your refund. They said they did refund you but went and checked their records anyway, found it wasn't the case and rang you back to say they were refunding you and explain the delay.

Give it up, you will find no sympathy from anyone here as there is actually no complaint because mcguirks have rectified their mistake. What else do you want? Compensation? Ha!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement