Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGuirks Golf Shop Blanchardstown - Dispute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

matt, your conclusion is correct but you have your facts wrong. OP did not purchase anything, he paid a €500 security deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

You purchased the product. Technically because there was no fault with the product they were not obliged to give you anything back.

You need to stop complaining as you are officially becoming worse than Victor Meldrew

You couldn't be more wrong if you even tried. and that's saying something given your level of contribution so far

from the consumer association's of ireland website:

Before complaining, ensure you know where you stand legally “Know your rights” but do not be too quick to quote your legal rights. Sometimes the light friendly touch will work better.
    You should always complain as soon as possible after the problem is discovered. If you do not act within a reasonable time, it may appear that you have accepted the goods, defect and all. In this case, you may lose your right to reject the goods completely and seek a full refund. You may only be entitled to a partial refund or a repair.

for your benefit i'll provide a link in case you don't believe me. consumers have rights.

http://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/what-are-my-rights/

Zab wrote: »
    matt, your conclusion is correct but you have your facts wrong. OP did not purchase anything, he paid a €500 security deposit.
    Thank you Zab for pointing out something that i though was obvious from the start.

by the way matt, victor meldrew was funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

who_ru wrote: »
    You couldn't be more wrong if you even tried. and that's saying something given your level of contribution so farfrom the consumer association's of ireland website:

Before complaining, ensure you know where you stand legally “Know your rights” but do not be too quick to quote your legal rights. Sometimes the light friendly touch will work better.
    You should always complain as soon as possible after the problem is discovered. If you do not act within a reasonable time, it may appear that you have accepted the goods, defect and all. In this case, you may lose your right to reject the goods completely and seek a full refund. You may only be entitled to a partial refund or a repair.

for your benefit i'll provide a link in case you don't believe me. consumers have rights.

http://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/what-are-my-rights/

Firstly, no need to get personal because somebody replied and you didn't like to hear the truth they posted.

Secondly, the advice above is irrelevant to the points made in reply to you.

You are just not listening!
    You raised the matter and they sorted it. These things happen. It's not bad service - just an error that was quickly amended. It was not a consumer issue as they responded above and beyond what would be expected. What do you want from this thread? It has raised my opinion of McGuirks in seeing how they dealt with it. Good result for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Consumer issues can involve a judgement of what constitutes reasonable behaviour. The people who post frequently here often disagree in our judgements. This can lead to interesting (albeit occasionally bad-tempered) discussions.

I think who_ru has achieved something remarkable: he has got us all to agree with one another. But, despite the unanimous response of a group of people with some interest in consumer affairs, he insists that his interpretation is right and everybody else is wrong.

• Advertisement

he insists that his interpretation is right and everybody else is wrong.
    look if that's the best that you can come up with, some childish comment that i have somehow insisted that everyone else is wrong then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I think this is great publicity for mcguirks, like previous poster said, I think more of them now. Nightmare customer.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

OP, I get that you feel aggrieved not so much that they made a mistake, but that they assured you it was corrected when it wasnt. The impression you give is that you felt they were trying to keep your security deposit through stealth. When, given that they are a reputable business, all that happened is that your transaction was messed up from quite early on. Your records were lost, probably explaining why your refund did not go through smoothly. They compounded the error by giving you the wrong information after this fact.

But that means that they made a mistake, nothing more. You are refunded the money you were owed. You cannot and should not make anything more from this than what happened to you. Your experience does not mean they do this to everyone, or that people from the uk are getting screwed over.... They goofed. And from what is being said here, that is unusual for this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

look if that's the best that you can come up with, some childish comment that i have somehow insisted that everyone else is wrong then so be it.
    I could do better, but it's not worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Is it possible this fella is a troll?

This thread has been a reasoned debate on an error which has been fixed. Even with unanimous diagreement, the OP still feels he is being done.

It cannot be serious.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Nightmare customer.

lets answer this so..

1) as per mcguirks own terms & conditions of club hire the customer is required to put a down payment of 500 euro via credit card to hire the clubs. Yes i did that no problem.

2) as per mcguirks own terms & conditions the customer is required to give a photographic form of ID, name and address details. Yes i did that too.

3) as per mcguirks own terms & conditions the customer is required to return the clubs to mcguirks after 3 days in full and in good condition. yes did that too.

4) as per mcguirks own terms & conditions the customer will be refunded 465 euro via credit within 3-5 working days of the clubs being returned.
    i contacted mcguirks to tell them that this hadn't happened and that it's possible the refund wasn't made. to which i was told no it was made.

now please tell me which part of the above indicates a nightmare customer
    ?

a nightmare customer wouldn't have returned the clubs at all, or broke them but denied responsibility.

a nightmare customer would have kept the clubs for weeks on end.

a nightmare customer would have refused to hand any clubs back until the refund was made.

as you know i didn't do any of these things. i'm sure there are a lot of business out there that wish they had customers like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1.a nightmare customer wouldn't have returned the clubs at all, or broke them but denied responsibility.

2. a nightmare customer would have kept the clubs for weeks on end.

3. a nightmare customer would have refused to hand any clubs back until the refund was made.

4. i'm sure there are a lot of business out there that wish they had customers like me.

1. That would be a Thief or Vandal and the reason for the deposit

2. That would be dishonest and another reason for the deposit

3. That would be an idiot who doesn't understand how Credit Card deposits work i.e. they take time.

4. You are joking aren't you? Somebody please tell me that that was a joke!!

We know how McGuirks operate and you explained it several times. We also see that they made what was a genuine error, which they fixed very quickly and indeed, by offering cash, went beyond what could be expected.

Can you still not realise that everybody here and on the Golf Forum (where you duplicated the thread) see McGuirks as having handled this rather well and you have nothing to moan about?:rolleyes:

What do you not understand?

1. That would be a Thief or Vandal and the reason for the deposit

2. That would be dishonest and another reason for the deposit

3. That would be an idiot who doesn't understand how Credit Card deposits work i.e. they take time.

4. You are joking aren't you? Somebody please tell me that that was a joke!!

We know how McGuirks operate and you explained it several times. We also see that they made what was a genuine error, which they fixed very quickly and indeed, by offering cash, went beyond what could be expected.

Can you still not realise that everybody here and on the Golf Forum (where you duplicated the thread) see McGuirks as having handled this rather well and you have nothing to moan about?:rolleyes:

What do you not understand?

i understand very well thanks, i also understand that you're pointing out the blindingly obvious in your response to points 1-4. yes i know very well that that is the purpose of a deposit, and hence the reason i paid it as well. but nonetheless you went to great lengths to make a very simple point.

having got a refund back in cash of course i'm happy with that outcome, mcguirks rectified a mistake ( a trader rectifying a mistake it seems is saintly behaviour), one that they compounded twice.

but when you are faced with a similar situation maybe you'll be happy to give the trader the benefit of the doubt, maybe you wouldn't 'complain' at all, or even mention the error.

but i was shameful of me to bring this up, as another poster has said. i should have waited another 3-5 working days, for a payment that wasn't going to arrive.

silly me eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Entrenched views all around, nobody budging. Looks like we're running out of road.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed - all sides seem pretty entrenched in their views. Therefore I am closing this thread.

OP you can PM me to have it reopened, if you think it can move in a new direction.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement