Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dockrell for Ireland???

• 01-05-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

This might help. I think he was over 18 when he went to Somerset. It's a little unclear about whether or not people who have already begun the process need to put in the extra years but the rule

(i) All players who are already qualified for England will remain so - provided they continue to meet the existing regulations.

Suggest that if you are not already eligible then you need to meet the new criteria to qualify

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/563328.html
    The ECB has toughened its qualification rules for England cricketers by extending the minimum residential qualification period from four to seven years with immediate effect. The new stipulation, which has been voted in by the ECB board at Lord's, will apply to players who arrive in England and Wales after their 18th birthday.

The tighter regulations aim to put more emphasis on England players being developed through the England system, although overseas players settling in England before their 18th birthday will still only need to complete a residential qualification of four years.

The purpose of this two-tier policy is to reduce allegiances of convenience as overseas players win opportunities in county cricket and, as a result, decide to seek England qualification. But it could also conceivably force many young players approaching their 18th birthday into a premature decision about where their future lies - with South Africa bound to be particularly affected.

The ECB has long abandoned the notion of birthright, which is increasingly viewed as unsuitable to an age of global mobility, but it aims to prove a sense of belonging by the fact that players have come through the system, whether in schools, universities or cricketing academies.

As so often, ECB regulations are not as simple as they first appear. There is a rider in the case of non ICC full-member countries, where qualification can still be reduced to four years at the ECB's discretion. Cricket Ireland will be particularly disappointed by that, with its players now potentially more vulnerable to approaches than players in full-member countries.
    The new rules do not apply to women cricketers.

The key provisions are as follows:
    (i) All players who are already qualified for England will remain so - provided they continue to meet the existing regulations.

(ii) All players who begin residence in England or Wales before their 18th birthday will need to complete a residence period of four consecutive years.

(iii) Players who begin residence in England or Wales after their 18th birthday will need to complete a residence period of seven consecutive years. *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭wicorthered

My understanding is it only relates to players entering into the UK now. Dockrell shouldn't be affected as he's in his second year!

Anyway from what I know this only affects players from full member nations. Players from associates can be granted qualification at the ECB's discretion. Bad news for Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This was mentioned in another thread yesterday. The caveat to the last condition is
    At the ECB’s discretion, this provision can be reduced to four years for those players who have come to England and Wales from non-ICC full member countries or commenced residency in England and Wales before April 25 2012.

basically meaning that the ECB can shorten the qualification period to 4 years at their discretion for players from associate member nations.

As I read it nothing much changes in terms of Irish players; it just means that anyone from a full member nation who comes to England from last week on must be resident for 7 years before they qualify instead of 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

djimi wrote: »
    This was mentioned in another thread yesterday. The caveat to the last condition is

basically meaning that the ECB can shorten the qualification period to 4 years at their discretion for players from associate member nations.

As I read it nothing much changes in terms of Irish players; it just means that anyone from a full member nation who comes to England from last week on must be resident for 7 years before they qualify instead of 4.

And these are their own rules, and won't be enforced by the ICC. If they see someone who's served their 4 years and is what they need now, they'll waive this rule.

Advertisement