Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Euro 2012 Official Song

• 01-05-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say I llike this as I'm a big Dubliners fan and always loved "The Rocky Road to Dublin"

Is it a 'yay' or 'nay' from my fellow Boardsies tho?

Prob Barney McKenna's last ever public performance with The Dubliners too :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

There are loads of other songs knocking around.

Will post some more if I can find them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm not a fan anyway, but I wont be purchasing it or D/Ling it so it doesnt really effect me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

oh jaysus.

It's not so bad up 'til that "you'll never beat the Irish" refrain, then it all goes horribly wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

*cringe*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ah lads, you're looking too much into the song. Let's face it none of us are a Simon Cowell or a Louis Walsh, but in 15-20 years from now, the current crop of 6 - 18 year olds will look back on the Summer of 2012 with hopefully happy memories and listening to this song in 15-20 years from now will evoke those happy memories

These weren't great songs, but the memories are great

There's more out there

Just enjoy the moment lads

Forgot about this one, complete rubbish, but great craic and memories all the same!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

*shudders*

Even the players look horribly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

fair play to them all its a nice feel good tune for the summer

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pretty much what I expected, not for me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's grand for what it is and for a great cause, these things are always super cheesy. People are far too cynical these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kfallon wrote: »
    So they're not crap artists then? You just don't like their type of music? In fact you said crap artists and then kinda contradicted yourself by saying they were good musicians!

And I'm not sure what the 'horrible genre' is either? :confused:

I see artists as people who make something beautiful, and their music isn't despite the talents. It takes more than said talent to be a good artist.

The genre is traditional Irish, rebel songs etc which to me is a horrible genre. You asked for opinions right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I can't stand the chant..." you'll never beat the Irish." That ruins it for me.

Its not only misleading, its a blatant lie.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Not a fan of the Damien Dempsey one. This is my favourite of the lot:

More shouting and better riffs. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I can't stand it. Think it's a load of $hite. Hated the original song, this is even worse.

Friend of mine made a good point recently: "There are football fans outside of Dublin" he said.

Instead of coming up with this muck, they should've just re-released (the best in my opinion) "Put 'em Under Pressure"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Col200sx wrote: »
    Instead of coming up with this muck, they should've just re-released (the best in my opinion) "Put 'em Under Pressure"

They'd have to rehire Big Jack if they did that

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

i think this one is much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Love Damien Dempsey and The Dubliners, but the song is a bit too cheesy for my liking. Not the worst though!

What is the point in releasing songs like that anyway? It's not like people sing them at the matches :confused: Or buy them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

"the cat is in the sack, we'll never forget you jack" what on earth has Jack Charlton got to do with Euro 2012?

The song is dire beyond belief. Seriously, we come from a land of Samuel Beckett, Brendan Behan, James Joyce, Patrick Kavanagh, Oscar Wilde, W.B. Yeats to name but a few. A country that has spawned more prize winners for literature and poetry than any other country and this, this really is the best we can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

serious amount of music critics in here, its gas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

I think it's brutal. Someone somewhere could've produced something way better. I thought the 1990 tune with the Horslips riff was deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

iregk wrote: »
    "the cat is in the sack, we'll never forget you jack" what on earth has Jack Charlton got to do with Euro 2012?

The song is dire beyond belief. Seriously, we come from a land of Samuel Beckett, Brendan Behan, James Joyce, Patrick Kavanagh, Oscar Wilde, W.B. Yeats to name but a few. A country that has spawned more prize winners for literature and poetry than any other country and this, this really is the best we can do?

Bloody hell I think you take football songs far too seriously.

All the people you mentioned wrote about the toils and difficulties of life and nature with precise and thoughtful placement of each word not rhyming couplets with a chanting refrain and trad backing track.

Also, to be a pedant Ireland doesn't have more literature prizes than others if the Nobel prize is your measure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

'You'll never beat the Irish' - Somebody should have told Cromwell.

As for the song, I thought it was good until the Coronas started singing. Not the worst song and quite catchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Am I the only one who likes it? :eek:. Yeh its a cheesefest but what did people expect? Put em under pressure is much loved by Irish fans myself included but by god its chessy its great because when we hear it it takes yeh back to the early ninetys of Irish football and the atmosphere around it, I was only a kid at the time but can still remember a lot of what went on.

I also like that Mahoney one, now bring on the Euros :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oranage2 wrote: »
    'You'll never beat the Irish' - Somebody should have told Cromwell.

As for the song, I thought it was good until the Coronas started singing. Not the worst song and quite catchy.

Wow :eek::eek: really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yer man "Bressie" looks like he's trying to squeeze out a particularly stubborn captains log every time the camera pans to him. Serious passion for the song there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont like the song but I suppose a percentage is going to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's only a bit of craic, and also for a very good cause. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Make your mother proud, inflate your plastic hammer,
    Bate your bodhrán loud and learn your Polish grammar

http://www.todayfm.com/shows/weekdays/ray-darcy-show/Euro2012.aspx

This is the rubbish you get when you let Ray Darcy's listeners write your song lyrics:mad:

And the original has a far too complicated chord structure for a sing-along or a 'terrace anthem'

Bit of a mess all round. Ah well, other songs are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

My song is better. FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Deadly serious. Good musicians no doubt but part of a horrible genre. I know we're all meant to show a bit of patriotism and like them and their peers but it's all drivel for me, hence not liking the song.

You're having a laugh Xavi, there's nothing wrong with folk music, what you're peddling here is strictly your opinion, which not everyone would share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Its fairly sh!te to be honest. Lyrics are not the best as ^^^ shows. It has no catchy part at all, and reverting back to the "You'll never beat the Irish as the chorus" is just stupid. I'd say the players were cringing at singing that on the day.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I see artists as people who make something beautiful, and their music isn't despite the talents. It takes more than said talent to be a good artist.

The genre is traditional Irish, rebel songs etc which to me is a horrible genre. You asked for opinions right?

I'm really not sure you know what you are on about to be honest. Irish and rebel songs are two huge and disparate genres of music. Personally I detest the republican guff, the ooh ah up the rah carry on and such like but that is not Irish music, merely a facet of Irish music. Sure there were bands that crossed over but you've made a massive generalisation that you'll find almost impossible to back up.

It's like saying you hate Irish music because you hate Westlife.

Damien Dempsey is an artist I have serious respect for, this song is however a travesty. Lazy and derivative. Had Dempsey been left alone I think he'd have written a far better original song.

Whoever came up with Rocky Road to Dublin I don't think knows much about music. It couldn't be Dempsey. Rocky Road's melody comes for the way the huge number of words that run together and their cadence. I'm not explaining it very well and I'm late for the cinema. It's a really hard song to reimagine. Really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

murpho999 wrote: »

All the people you mentioned wrote about the toils and difficulties of life and nature with precise and thoughtful placement of each word not rhyming couplets with a chanting refrain and trad backing track.

Watching Ireland at the Euros could well be a toil and very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

dan1895 wrote: »
    Watching Ireland at the Euros could well be a toil and very difficult.

Ah sure as long as we get a few draws and a couple of goals it'll look good as a 5min montage on Reeling in the Years 2012.

You'd swear it was supposed to be a bloody top musical hit.

It's a football song ffs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Check this one out, definitely a better song for the euros

http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/the-best-euro-2012-song-youll-hear-this-summer/5789/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It's a lot better than I was expecting, in fact I didn't really cringe at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gallyer wrote: »

http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/the-best-euro-2012-song-youll-hear-this-summer/5789/

this is actually significantly less horrendous than I expected from something based on Snow's Informer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

brings back nostalgic memories of everyone trying to sing the original back in the 90's " informer.... ibblyobblyabblyebblyubbly" ha brilliant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ah its a bit of craic i suppose but the "you`ll never beat the Irish" bit is cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ah you lot are a bunch of old fuddy duddies. I like it :). The lyrics are poor enough but the tune itself is good. I think they played it during the build up at landsowne road at the last game. The friendly against the Czech's as I remember something similar.

Put em under pressure is better sure, but I'd wager out of the teams at the euro's our song is better than most. Lighten up lads. This isn't bloody x-factor.

Kirby wrote: »
    Ah you lot are a bunch of old fuddy duddies. I like it :). The lyrics are poor enough but the tune itself is good. I think they played it during the build up at landsowne road at the last game. The friendly against the Czech's as I remember something similar.

Put em under pressure is better sure, but I'd wager out of the teams at the euro's our song is better than most. Lighten up lads. This isn't bloody x-factor.

You are aware the tune dates from the mid to late 1800's??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Move over Damo, Bressie & co....this is where it's at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Mr Alan wrote: »

Move over Damo, Bressie & co....this is where it's at!

OH FOR F*CKS SAKE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

markie29 wrote: »
    OH FOR F*CKS SAKE!!

I know! It's amazing!

Here lads, this is me and my friends' late, late effort to enter the pantheon of great football songs. I think Handy11 may have posted this elsewhere but here is the video he put together for it. Hope ye like it lads (and lassies: Mars Bar et al!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Best offering by a long way so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As soon as it hits the "you'll never beat the Irish"! part I just can't take it any more tbh.

Fairly terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Nay on the Rocky road for me. My friend, who is a musician, wrote a song a good while back before we actually qualified, sample of Lady Gaga's Paparazzi; "Trapa Trapatonni" haha was a hoot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement