Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penny for a maybush!!!

• 01-05-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

SO i bring this up in work and get alot of weird looks,

Basically a tradition of decorating a maybush and going door to door to collect money.

Did others do this or was i some kind of weird child :eek: seems nobody has heard of this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

*throws a weird look at the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Maybe if you shaved the maybush you'd get a bit more for it?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

we done something similar to this in december with a tree but we got presents put underneath it

I don't think anyone is going to pay you to decorate your bush, sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

what the hell is a maybush?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is the new version something about a Fiscal Treaty because we had a lad calling around our house yesterday talking about that. We told him to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Decorating a maybush Whitethorn) is still done in some country areas. I think it goes back to pagan time. Never heard about the money collecting, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Is this a vajazzle thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Assemble the mob and gather the witch burning utensils.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Another May tradition was to decorate an altar in the classroom with fresh flowers which the schoolchildren brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

My old primary school Principal said that May 1st used to known as Nettlesome day, where people would grab nettles and sting someone (siblings/friends) by swiping the nettle at them, usually back of the legs. I'm fairly certain that that tradition has died out.

Your is probably on the verge of it, i have never heard of it but it sounds similar to The Wren which still goes on down in West Cork and Kerry on St. Stephens Day. You decorate a holly bush, dirty your face and go from door to door. Singing "The Wren" is compulsory. Made 200 Punts one year! :D

My old primary school Principal said that May 1st used to known as Nettlesome day, where people would grab nettles and sting someone (siblings/friends) by swiping the nettle at them, usually back of the legs. I'm fairly certain that that tradition has died out.

i think that tradition did die out after the people who practiced it went to prison for child abuse

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Decorating a maybush Whitethorn) is still done in some country areas..

bleedin' cluchies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Is this in any way similar to vajazzling?

Is this in any way similar to vajazzling?

yeah the post about using nettles is how you do it

Advertisement