Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosney possibly re-opening

• 01-05-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Theres a big campaign going on to get mosney back that seem's to be kicking off today. I don't know very much about it yet but apparantly the lease is up for the refugees in june.

What would you guy's think of having it back? . I'm just old enough to have gone before it shut down and have a few fond memories.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

In before Biggins :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Awful kip, we are all better off it's closed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

YES! YES! YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

will the refugees be working there?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Time to get the Liveline involved!! i.e. Talk to Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

mosnia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Banditoo

Went to a rave at Mosney back in the 90's and got robbed. Can i blame it on the roma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ireland needs some class of a theme park. They could really work on making Mosney something more than it used to be....... Could also be a good one for providing jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's no Leisureland, Salthill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i prefer funderland, as it fcuks off after awhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Could be a goer....I remember the original Mosney, it was a terrible kip but we have come a long way since then. I think with the right people behind it, it could be a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Here's a link to there facebook page. They seem to be trying to start a petition there http://www.facebook.com/ButlinsMosney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

My memories include bandaids and dead flys in the swimming pool and people mooning you as you went past the swimming pool that had glass instead of walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Oh my god, i would love is this reopens!!! im so there if it does!
    Many a happy summertime spent there back in the day, think the last time i was there i was about 12 so it would be as nostalgic as anything! :)

Just hope they dont change everything around, leave it all arranged the same and it would awesome to head there again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Just looked at some of the photos only just taken a while ago. Everythings still there even the furniture. I say it would just take a bit of cleaning and a few safety checks to get the place going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 I am Bugs

Why did no reporter (Undercover) get to evaluate the place over the last number of years?

If anybody ever got hold of the internal workings of our asylum system in Mosney on video, now that would be headline news.

3 pubs concert hall, 20 snooker tables etc. etc.

Always wondered what went on "behind the wire" at Mosney.

Never seen any of the inmates complaining, except that is when they tried to remove them from their sub-standard abode!!!

Sorry for meandering just being nosey I guess.

Well it once was the only holiday camp in Ireland, then the Celtic Tiger showed its head and if I remember right the owner received a "Mint" for the lease of the premises. Everybody wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It didnt seem safe when it opened, I imagine 12 years of being idle hasnt helped!! We need a proper theme park, not the shite attempt that was mosney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno. I was 10 last time I was there. I might not be able to get away with flashing people having their dinner in the restaurant via the glass part of the pool anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I am Bugs wrote: »
    Why did no reporter (Undercover) get to evaluate the place over the last number of years?

If anybody ever got hold of the internal workings of our asylum system in Mosney on video, now that would be headline news.

3 pubs concert hall, 20 snooker tables etc. etc.

Always wondered what went on "behind the wire" at Mosney.

Never seen any of the inmates complaining, except that is when they tried to remove them from their sub-standard abode!!!

Sorry for meandering just being nosey I guess.

Well it once was the only holiday camp in Ireland, then the Celtic Tiger showed its head and if I remember right the owner received a "Mint" for the lease of the premises. Everybody wins.

First of all, there was a good number of journalists all over the place doing reports - constantly.
    There was even a documentary made about the place - one when it was a camp and other when it was a place for refugees.

Their accommodation WAS NOT sub-standard - all the accommodation were fresh built and the old chalets were knocked down prior to this.
    They had the best of everything they wanted. That included everything from buggies to clothes to food.
    The food that they ate was the VERY SAME food that the staff ate.

My father worked (just retired) on the site for over 16 years and I have been in it many times since.
    (I worked in it as a teen for a few seasons also, many, many years ago.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

davet82 wrote: »
    will the refugees be working there?
    No, it will be public sector workers as they are the only people around with experience of working in holiday camps!

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested, I supplied MANY items from Mosney in this thread here to view: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055957929

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

i went there for the community games in 2002 when i was 12 for a table quiz.

got my first **** from a girl that day :)

good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What is the new fun fair ride, dig a mass grave Slobadan style. Kids get to sit on out of work Santa's dressed as Radovan Karadžić,sounds fun to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I was more of a Butlins in Wales kid, Mosney was beneath me frankly. I went one year and i found the place to be truly abhorrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

ah the memories,
    The coke slide........
    the big red mushrooms......
    cutting me guther on the slides
    first time i fingered a girl was behind shalet 7b ..... :o
    Then there was the time my mate crapped in the pool beside the underwater window that looked into the chipper :o

Bring baCK MOSNEYYYYYYYYY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

It looks like a concentration camp in the 2010 video on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

kitty9 wrote: »
    i went there for the community games in 2002 when i was 12 for a table quiz.

got my first **** from a girl that day :)

good times

You'd had a few from boys prior to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Mosney 2012: Experience the mind numbing boredom your parents had to go through when you were kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Dancor wrote: »
    My memories include bandaids and dead flys in the swimming pool and people mooning you as you went past the swimming pool that had glass instead of walls.

Also a beehive in every bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 I am Bugs

Thanks Biggins, BTW as regards accomodation I know it was not sub standard, tongue in cheek;)

Was Ronan Keating a red at Mosney. I heard a rumour he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'd fuckin' love to go there again, was there two or three times as a kid. Awesome!
    Probably just nostalgia though.

I am Bugs wrote: »
    ...Was Ronan Keating a red at Mosney. I heard a rumour he was.
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Biggins wrote: »
    They had the best of everything they wanted. That included everything from buggies to clothes to food.

Can you prove this?

IrishAm wrote: »
    Can you prove this?

To whom? You? Why you?

Can you prove they didn't get good items?

Can you prove that I'm a lair (I'm not) ?

As I have stated, I have been to the place many, many times, sat and ate in the place up to this year. I've been all over the place and supplied many photographs and material on the place in a previous linked thread (if you even bothered to look!). I have witnessed and spoke to the people there many times, seeing up close at EXACTLY what was handed out care of the state.

If you still think I'm lying - that I am talking out my ass, go prove then that I am lying!

• Advertisement

To whom? You? Why you?

Can you prove they didn't get good items?

Can you prove that I'm a lair (I'm not) ?

As I have stated, I have been to the place many, many times, sat and ate in the place up to this year. I've been all over the place and supplied many photographs and material on the place in a previous linked thread (if you even bothered to look!). I have witnessed and spoke to the people there many times, seeing up close at EXACTLY what was handed out care of the state.

If you still think I'm lying - that I am talking out my ass, go prove then that I am lying!

Not at all, bud. I wasnt calling you a liar. Its just Ive heard these claims before but was never offered any tangible proof to back them up.

I didnt mean to offend, just curious, is all. :o

Not at all, bud. I wasnt calling you a liar. Its just Ive heard these claims before but was never offered any tangible proof to back them up.

I didnt mean to offend, just curious, is all. :o

Fair enough, I apologise for coming on strong.
    I get this all the time from idiots in my home town who don't think realistic about the situation.
    The state as it goes, does not purchase second-hand goods to hand out to refugees, especially in the area of buggies (for safety reasons relating to mechanics and liability issues) and/or other items from electrical heaters to cookers and fridges.
    (Because of EU laws pertaining to "White Goods" (electrical) its illegal to do so)
    Everything is bought brand new.

If those staying in the place didn't get the new genuine thing passed to them upon request of an item, they were either given vouchers or small amounts of money towards outside purchase of items (which also allowed them to further pick and choose their own wanted items). Items usually bought in Drogheda more often than not, Dublin sometimes, by themselves according to their own choice.
    Those staying there could also at ANY time, come and go as they please. All day or in the night.

The likes of the main pool was closed off for safety reasons, as was the area underneath (Dan Lowerys).
    As regards the whole camp, there was always wire or fencing around it. This was for the security of the camp in general and the previous holiday visitors staying there.
    Since the camp became a place for refugees, very little has changed as regards wiring.
    Those that say it is like to a concentration camp, might get that impression by the wise surrounding the camp - but that has been always there from its very beginning.

Fair enough, I apologise for coming on strong.
    I get this all the time from idiots in my home town who don't think realistic about the situation.
    The state as it goes, does not purchase second-hand goods to hand out to refugees, especially in the area of buggies (for safety reasons relating to mechanics and liability issues) and/or other items from electrical heaters to cookers and fridges.
    (Because of EU laws pertaining to "White Goods" (electrical) its illegal to do so)
    Everything is bought brand new.

If those staying in the place didn't get the new genuine thing passed to them upon request of an item, they were either given vouchers or small amounts of money towards outside purchase of items (which also allowed them to further pick and choose their own wanted items). Items usually bought in Drogheda more often than not, Dublin sometimes, by themselves according to their own choice.
    Those staying there could also at ANY time, come and go as they please. All day or in the night.

Thanks for that.

Who sanctioned the purchases and what state body provided the expenditure?

Would they ever sanction the purchase of a car for a family?

Thanks for that.
    Who sanctioned the purchases and what state body provided the expenditure?
    Would they ever sanction the purchase of a car for a family?

The place is owned & by staff hired (and fired) by a Mr McCloskey and his wife - though he is rarely there, his general manager (Pat McKenna) usually has the day to day reins.
    As regards who decides who gets what if they make a request, that decision is passed on to state civil servants and they adjudicate upon each case.

You will find a lot of info on this and Mosney history in the (already mentioned) thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055957929

Now as regards this car stuff, I can honestly say and so can my father, that no one that is in the place as a refugee, gets a car given to them.
    I have never seen it happen nor heard of anyone (even after talking to many up there staying in the place) getting one, either direct or by money given to them supposedly by the state.
    Certain daft rumours float about Drogheda and Louth at times of this nature.
    A number of people that have left the place in time and moved on, have bought second-hand cars but how they came out raising the revenue to do this I cannot say.
    I assume they either have been saving any standard weekly living money awarded by the state and/or having landed in our country have also brought with them some small cash amounts too.

Thanks for that, Biggins.

I dare say Mr McCloskey made quite a few shillings out of this arrangement with the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

just saying.......

The Space round off!

Just as a follow-up.

I've no idea no what they are going to do with the place.
    I cannot see it opening up again as a holiday camp as such (though I could be wrong) given our current economic climate - and I can't see it being turned into a standard house estate.
    There are enough homes in the Louth area alone that are not selling!

Years ago, Mr McCloskey applied for planning permission for a attached piece of land and that was next to the camp. This application and other subsequent attempts were all rejected.
    However - and this is not confirmed - he might have eventually got the planning permission he sought after he agreed to turn over the camp for a while by leasing it, to the state.
    What will happen to it now I do not know but I do know that for some time now, they have been making serious efforts to move all those in it, outward to other localities around Ireland.
    ...And some didn't actually want to go, leave the camp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Can't have been worse than that place in Cork could it?

I was there once, just moved to Ireland so can't remember much but it was just horrible. The pool and all ughhhhhh

It was like the caravan club in the inbetweeners on steroids

Thanks for that, Biggins.

I dare say Mr McCloskey made quite a few shillings out of this arrangement with the state.

The charge for the lease at one stage was around 6 to 8 million per year, which was paid by the state to the McCloskeys.

This article verifies your claims, Biggins.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/sex-and-drugs-for-sale-at-mosney-477063.html

They also receive clothing allowances and other payments which are funded by the local health board.

Of the 11 families I interviewed at the camp, all had a baby under 12 months of age and most made it clear that their youngest child was an Irish citizen.

The day the mothers leave the hospital, they collect top-of-the-range buggies, child seats and other equipment needed for a new born baby.

This article verifies your claims, Biggins.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/sex-and-drugs-for-sale-at-mosney-477063.html

They also receive clothing allowances and other payments which are funded by the local health board.

Of the 11 families I interviewed at the camp, all had a baby under 12 months of age and most made it clear that their youngest child was an Irish citizen.

The day the mothers leave the hospital, they collect top-of-the-range buggies, child seats and other equipment needed for a new born baby.

Thanks. Much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Banditoo wrote: »
    Went to a rave at Mosney back in the 90's and got robbed. Can i blame it on the roma?

Blame it on the boogie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Push the place into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

ah mosney where when I was 10, i for some inexplicable reason said to people i was from monaghan and affected a leprechaun accent. I was weird.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I went there every summer from the age of about 4 to 15 in the late 70's and 80's back in the days before holidays to Spain were the norm for most Irish families..............:D

Absolutely loved the place and was so annoyed that I couldn't even take my own kids there on a day-trip when they shut it up and turned it into a refugee camp:(

I'd love to be able to take my younger ones there at some point and bore the backsides off them with all the stories of the place.....

I know they'd love the pool and looking inwards at it from the street. I could only imagine the faces on them when they get mooned:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement