Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos saorview box, 49.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

shnaek wrote: »
    So I reserved one of these for my Dad, and he drove all the way to Tullamore to collect it, but they wouldn't give it to him.

They said it was a mistake, and that it was supposed to be 70.99

Fuming at the time-wasting feckers!

The exact same thing happened me in a Dublin store, the in-store stock checker saying €50 but the till saying €70. Staff didn't care and wouldn't budge.

You'd imagine all the computers would be linked but apparently not.
    I mailed Argos about this and in fairness to them they got back to me pretty quickly and said the price online is the correct price. So it looks like the deal is on.

Yep, pity they won't tell their staff that.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭PressTheButton

Saorview is owned by RTE so they just want you to buy digital boxes with a Saorview sticker on them - because the manufacturer has paid RTE a few quid to become 'official Saorview box' suppliers.

Any digital tv box that plays MPEG4 & has MHEG5 Teletext receivers will pick up the Irish Digital TV signal (Saorview)

Using a non-saorview approved box with the same spec(or better spec) isn't going to make you TV glow luminous green or cause your house to implode. :)

If anything the Saorview approved boxes are very basic compared to the features on the non-approved boxes - some can play MKV movie files, have video playback in Full HD (1080P), have 5.1 digital coaxial audio output, dual or even triple receivers, have internet access and network access.

So before you feel you have to use the governments digital box... shop around... be brave and look at the non-approved boxes as well.

But remember a few of the non-approved boxes will be rubbish... so shop around... do your homework on the brand of digital box you are interested in and I reckon you will find a nice all-in-one home entertainment box for under your TV. :)
    byte wrote: »
    Uhm, Saorview certification is carried out by Teracom, not RTE.

as for any DTV box that has MPEG4 being suitable, there's more to it than just MHEG5 middleware. AAC audio support for example.
    Another important reason for opting for 'SAORVIEW Approved' equipment:
    OTA (Over-the-air) firmware/feature upgrades only possible on 'SAORVIEW Approved' equipment - STBs and TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

byte wrote: »
    Uhm, Saorview certification is carried out by Teracom, not RTE.

as for any DTV box that has MPEG4 being suitable, there's more to it than just MHEG5 middleware. AAC audio support for example.

I hear what you're saying... but chances are if the DTV box has MHEG5 middleware - it more than likely has AAC audio support as well - as it's only higher spec high quality boxes will offer MHEG5 & AAC audio anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

So I reserved one of these for my Dad, and he drove all the way to Tullamore to collect it, but they wouldn't give it to him.

They said it was a mistake, and that it was supposed to be 70.99

Fuming at the time-wasting feckers!

TheDriver wrote: »
    i got mine for 49.99 and indeed instore the machines say was and is prices so all above board. They had been briefed instore before the sale because the catalogue always stated 49.99

Same here, wanted to bring it home for the old pair and get them set up

Online catalogue - €49.99
    Instore onscreen catalogue - €49.99
    Reservation price - €49.99

Check out price - €70.99!

What a pain in the ass! I knew I had read something about the price being wrong (glanced through thread this morning) so I explained it was listed as €49.99 everywhere and it was well known that the check out price was wrong. No use. Employee showed me on screen text saying to ignore the catalogue price of €49.99, and €70.99 was right. There was no convincing her.

Waste of time going up there. Sent them off an email there to vent. Given that this was defintely reported a number of days ago I can't believe they hadn't updated their staff on it, or updated their check out systems.

Feck it, I'll be off to HN for the €60 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

HN were flogging their Finlux Saorview box for 50 yoyos last week-end at their Marquee Sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

miguelk wrote: »
    Same here, wanted to bring it home for the old pair and get them set up

Online catalogue - €49.99
    Instore onscreen catalogue - €49.99
    Reservation price - €49.99

Check out price - €70.99!

Waste of time going up there. Sent them off an email there to vent. Given that this was defintely reported a number of days ago I can't believe they hadn't updated their staff on it, or updated their check out systems.

I was nearly going to give them a second chance today as I was close to a store, glad now I didn't bother.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i got them no bother at 49.99, no questions asked. Having said that, I used the machine in the store to pay with my reservation.....

i got them no bother at 49.99, no questions asked. Having said that, I used the machine in the store to pay with my reservation.....

Ya thats what I usually do (reserve, pay with card at machine and collect)

But when I used the reservation no. the price had jumped up to €71

Went back to the in-store catalogue to confirm it was €49, then went to the attendant who informed me there was a mistake and €71 was correct.

Wrote an email to Argos and they wrote back (last Wednesdy) to say the sales assistant was correct, and that it was an online pricing error.

Checked this morning and no changei n the price. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745/Trail/searchtext%3ESAORVIEW+ALBA.htm

Its very annoying that someone else could go to the same bother only to find out the price is advertised wrong. Even after they said they would correct it "as soon as possible".

If you're buying one and are in the area anyway you could chance it but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Argos considering you've no guarantee the price online is the same as it is in the shop, its false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hmmmmm, and there was me with 2 boxes for the 99.98 euro. Does it not count that on the website, it says was70, now in the SALE, it is 49.99. Hence changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Send a tweet to @Argoshelpers

They will sort you out within an hour or two.

• Advertisement

hmmmmm, and there was me with 2 boxes for the 99.98 euro. Does it not count that on the website, it says was70, now in the SALE, it is 49.99. Hence changed?

The situation according to Argos is - Yes, the website says "on sale for €49.99" but this is incorrect and the price at the till is correct @ €70.99. They said they would correct the website ASAP. I explained that the 70 was an old price but they wwere following briefing/update on the till by sticking to 71. I thought that the assistant was confusd but Argos say she was right.

Makes no difference to me now as I'm not going to buy it either way from them, but for the sake of other consumers it would be a shame for them to go in and find out the advertised price is wrong and they wasted their time when you could get a better box for the same money elsewhere.

Maybe the "newsflash" that appeared at the checkout telling the assistant to charge me 71 was posted after your purchase Driver, dunno.

Here's their reponse to me (just to note I was asuming at the time that the sales assistant was wrong charging me €71, I wasn't trying to make them charge other people more for it!)

Thank you for your email regarding the price difference of an item you had reserved.

I am sorry to read of the difficulties you experienced whilst visiting one of our Argos stores in order to purchase a reserved item. I can appreciate the frustration caused as the price of the item was different to that at which you had reserved it at.

I have looked into the matter for you and can confirm that there is indeed a pricing error in regards to the online advertisement of the product in question. The reason why you were not able to purchase the product at the cheaper price was that we were aware of the matter, and informed yourself of such prior to purchase. I will be contacting the relevant department here in order to ensure they are aware of the situation and get the priced changed as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and please accept in advance my apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused you.

Send a tweet to @Argoshelpers

They will sort you out within an hour or two.

Thanks, I'm tweetless as in work at the moment but they are usually quick to respond to emails.

i'm not going back there anyway, wouldn't like to see other people getting caught out at the till though.

Hold up!

They've changed their mind, its €49.99 again!

I am very sorry to read that the price of the above item was considerably more than the reservation price. I have looked into this for you, and I am pleased to confirm that the correct price is €49.99. When we originally printed our catalogue, we were made aware that there was a pricing error. We quickly notified our stores who then notified the customers. The way we pass these corrections through to our stores is via a bulletin on their tills. During the promotional offers, there has been some confusion regarding the correct price.

I am pleased to advise you that I have informed the St. Stephens Green store of the correct price of €49.99 and I have reserved the set top box for you. Your new reservation number is 3*****. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I am very sorry to read that the price of the above item was considerably more than the reservation price. I have looked into this for you, and I am pleased to confirm that the correct price is €49.99. When we originally printed our catalogue, we were made aware that there was a pricing error. We quickly notified our stores who then notified the customers. The way we pass these corrections through to our stores is via a bulletin on their tills. During the promotional offers, there has been some confusion regarding the correct price.

I am pleased to advise you that I have informed the St. Stephens Green store of the correct price of €49.99 and I have reserved the set top box for you. Your new reservation number is 3*****. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during this time.

Their explanation is a load of baloney! With demand for this product so high, Argos saw an opportunity to make a handy extra €21. They've backed down because people complained on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I have just reserved one @ 49.99e, so just to clarify, I will be charged 70.99e?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I have just reserved one @ 49.99e, so just to clarify, I will be charged 70.99e?? :mad:

No it's back at €50 ....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78670806&postcount=44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

So are these boxes any good? Can they be used as media players or pvr 'see?

(sorry I'm on my phone and didn't get the full specs)

Just to clairfy, if I buy this box I plug it into my TV (saorview approved) and I will get station straight away??

I live in an apartment block and not sure what type of aerial is been used :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Just to clairfy, if I buy this box I plug it into my TV (saorview approved) and I will get station straight away??

If your tv is saorview approved then you don't need a box.
    You do need an aerial connection though to receive the channels.

No, because you've only 2 of the parts listed there.Here's the set up for a non saorview TV.
    UHF aerial plugged into saorview box plugged into TV. Thats what you need minimum.
    (UHF aerial = standard aerial that you would use to get RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, not a UPC/SKY cable etc).
    In my case the UHF aerial was an indoor one and it worked. But it may not for everyone - in which case you would need a better signal from your UHF aerial i.e. a rooftop one.

• Advertisement

*Scratches head* :o

I thought I needed a box to receive the channels? :rolleyes:

I have tried an indoor aerial but got nothing with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭green123

*Scratches head* :o

I thought I needed a box to receive the channels? :rolleyes:

I have tried an indoor aerial but got nothing with it :(

if you have a saorview tv then you dont need a box. the box is only for old tvs that do not have saorview built in.

you need an aerial to pick up saorview.
    some people will be able to pick it up using an indoor aerial if you are near the transmitter. if you cant pick it up using an indoor aerial you will need an aerial in the attic or on the roof

green123 wrote: »
    if you have a saorview tv then you dont need a box. the box is only for old tvs that do not have saorview built in.

you need an aerial to pick up saorview.
    some people will be able to pick it up using an indoor aerial if you are near the transmitter. if you cant pick it up using an indoor aerial you will need an aerial in the attic or on the roof

Well I will have to ask the management suite if there is an aerial on the roof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Nice OP just reserved one there for tomorrow, been looking for one of these for a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭green123

Well I will have to ask the management suite if there is an aerial on the roof!

what is your current setup ? are you paying for upc or sky ?
    if you have upc or sky then you dont need to do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does this have a Scart out, and a HDMI?

Whats an inexpensive indoor Aerial for this in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 AV Carlow

might pick one of these up.

can people just clarify something for me, i just connect the box to my spare connections on my sky dish and i should pick up all the freeview irish and uk channels yes?

Also has this box got component connect? RGB

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NerdyNed

AV Carlow wrote: »
    might pick one of these up.

can people just clarify something for me, i just connect the box to my spare connections on my sky dish and i should pick up all the freeview irish and uk channels yes?

Also has this box got component connect? RGB

No, that wont work. You need to connect it to a UHF Ariel. When you do, you will get the Irish channels only. No BBC, C4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭CH3OH

BostonB wrote: »
    Does this have a Scart out, and a HDMI?

Whats an inexpensive indoor Aerial for this in Dublin.
    yes scart and HDMI
    I have it connected to a rabbits ears aerial that I bought in Lidl last week for €11.99 and reception is fine. I'm in Arklow and not very far from the transmitter.

I've connected a HP 16 GB usb ( that i picked up cheap in Tesco)
    It records,fine but I'm getting jumpy playback. Just wondering if anyone has used it to record and how it worked?
    You can also set up pause live TV on the channel you're watching which is handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I picked one up and was impressed with it thus far. I bought a cheap aerial (€6) and I reckon it could do with being better positioned.

Advertisement