Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos saorview box, 49.99

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Sorry but can you pick up RTE 2 HD with this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭CH3OH

joeperry wrote: »
    Sorry but can you pick up RTE 2 HD with this please?

yes.......quality is very good apart from the big dog in the top right hand corner RTE TWO HD

CH3OH wrote: »
    yes.......quality is very good apart from the big dog in the top right hand corner RTE TWO HD

Thanks but what do you mean about a big dog? lol

What do ye reckon about this one at 66euro and it records as well

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-NM8010&pages=1&prod=NM8010&brands=NORDMENDE&image=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The recordings are in MPEG2.ts files. Is there a way of playing them back on the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭green123

BostonB wrote: »
    The recordings are in MPEG2.ts files. Is there a way of playing them back on the PC?

what media player are you using ?

have you tried vlc http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...RVIEW+ALBA.htm

Hi, Will this work in a camper on 12v

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Buffman

2nd time lucky for me, picked one up in liffey valley for the reduced price. It comes up on the till at €50 but they still get an on-screen warning saying the catalog price is wrong and the the actual price is €70. She still gave it to me for €50 though.

Have to say I'm impressed enough with it for the money. Everything is branded with the Saorview logo (box, manuals, on-screen menus), comes with a HDMI cable, menus are easy to use and set up is easy.

cipro 55 wrote: »
    Hi, Will this work in a camper on 12v

It comes supplied with a 220V AC to 12V DC 2amp transformer, so you could possibly wire it directly into the camper or use an inverter.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

I bought one of these. I can't get it working in my house. It's saying it can't find any channels. I have UPC in my house.

I tried to run it through the UPC box. No Joy.
    Tried this on two different boxes.

There was also an old aeriel port in our sitting room. Tried that. No joy either.

What am I doing wrong here? What does it need to connect to? Should I be able to run it through an existing UPC connection. If so, how?

Thanks in advance :)

I bought one of these. I can't get it working in my house. It's saying it can't find any channels. I have UPC in my house.

There was also an old aeriel port in our sitting room. Tried that. No joy either.

What am I doing wrong here? What does it need to connect to? Should I be able to run it through an existing UPC connection. If so, how?

you dont need a saorview box if you have upc.

to pick up saorview you need an aerial.

you say something about an old aerial port but is that connected to an aerial ? you will need an indoor aerial or an outdoor aerial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

You won't get the signal of the UPC cable. The old aerial port probably does not connect to anything. You probably need a better aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

Thanks for the reply.

I just want Saorview to have RTE in HD for GAA matches.

I live in an apartment block. I have no idea where the old aerial port goes but it didn't pick up anything.

So if I bought an aerial and connected it to the Saorview box would that give me a HD signal for RTE?

If you can pickup a signal.

I think ours has a bug, if you are watching something recorded on the box, and another timed recording starts, I think its deleting the recording you are watching. Anyone else noticed that?

So if I bought an aerial and connected it to the Saorview box would that give me a HD signal for RTE?

an indoor aerial might work if you are near enough to the transmitter otherwise an outdoor aerial is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

It comes supplied with a 220V AC to 12V DC 2amp transformer, so you could possibly wire it directly into the camper or use an inverter.

Picked one up on Saturday, Works perfect on 12v in the camper..

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Thanks OP - a fine box for the price and the offer has been extended to 12/6.

It comes supplied with a HDMI cable - which makes the 'add to your order' Belkin one on the web page sharp practice from Argos - even ignoring the obscene €32.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

This may be a stupid question but are all Saorview boxes also HD or are there SD Saorview boxes out there that will be no good with your HDTV :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

CashMoney wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question but are all Saorview boxes also HD or are there SD Saorview boxes out there that will be no good with your HDTV :o

All Saorview certified boxes are HD capable - they have to be as RTÉ2 is only transmitted in HD on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickmaster

I bought one of these boxes today but have had no luck installing channels. I have the box connected to indoor ariel [which is receiving channels through analogue] and box is connected to TV through scart. Am I missing something here or is my ariel signal not strong enough, even though the saorview site says it should be?

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I bought one of these boxes today but have had no luck installing channels. I have the box connected to indoor ariel [which is receiving channels through analogue] and box is connected to TV through scart. Am I missing something here or is my ariel signal not strong enough, even though the saorview site says it should be?

This could depend on your location
    maybe checkout the digital TV forum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

saw big signs up in blackpool argos friday advertising this for 49.99 but doesn't appear as a special offer, all based on watching matches in hd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Alba Saorview box in Argos again for €49.99 until July 20th.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745/Trail/searchtext%3ESAORVIEW.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Would I be able to put .avi files on to a USB and play them via the Alba B660 or would I need to convert them?

Some of mine worked some didn't. TBH I didn't try very hard to find out which.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Anyone know if these are saorview approved boxes?

On the Saorview site, the only approved Alba box is the Alba T8010. Argos sell the Alba B660 listed as Saorview approved though I don't think its on the box anywhere. I assume the Saorview site is not up to date. You could email them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

I bought the B660 a few weeks ago.

It says Saorview on the box. It says Saorview-approved on the website.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745/Trail/searchtext%3ESAORVIEW.htm

I wouldn't assume Argos is correct, and that Saorview is the same thing as Saorview approved.

Though mine works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also the alba/vestel/laurus etc are all the same box.

Advertisement