Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos saorview box, 49.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Apogee wrote: »
    Alba Saorview box in Argos again for €49.99 until July 20th.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745/Trail/searchtext%3ESAORVIEW.htm

I reserved one of these to collect tomorrow - Will I get this price of €49.99 tomorrow?

BostonB wrote: »
    On the Saorview site, the only approved Alba box is the Alba T8010. Argos sell the Alba B660 listed as Saorview approved though I don't think its on the box anywhere. I assume the Saorview site is not up to date. You could email them and ask.

It's showing on the approved list now -

http://www.saorview.ie/product/alba/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I emailed them, they said they'd update it. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

vicwatson wrote: »
    I reserved one of these to collect tomorrow - Will I get this price of €49.99 tomorrow?

You'll pay whatever price Argos are charging tomorrow, it might be higher, it might be lower. I've already got this box, its great, very impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Oracle wrote: »
    You'll pay whatever price Argos are charging tomorrow, it might be higher, it might be lower. I've already got this box, its great, very impressed so far.

The remote is lovely big clear and simple to use

• Advertisement

Why not reserve it at the price it is at the moment. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You pay whatever price they are charging when you collect it, not when you reserve it.

I never had it be different tbh. I surprised ye have so much problem getting things at the advertised price.

BostonB wrote: »
    I never had it be different tbh. I surprised ye have so much problem getting things at the advertised price.

I understand what you mean, but by reserving the product doesn't constitute creating a contract of sale as it is an invitation to treat until you have consideration (money) changing hands, so I guess they can charge me 70 euro if they like (I wont but it at 70) but reserving it doesn't guarantee me that price I suppose.

They should honour reserved items at the price stated but alas......

EDIT - Checked Argos website - it's gone up tp €59.99 so I won't be buying it

Additional Information

* Please note item 5322745 has previously been on sale at €49.99.

Current selling price valid until 18/01/2013

Harvey Normans has a one day sale on today and they are a couple of Saorview boxes on sale at 45.

When was that argos box ever €79 ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

There's one available on sale in Ganley's,sale finishing today, flyer here:
    http://www.ganlys.ie/pdfs/Ganlys_July_Insert_2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You pay whatever price they are charging when you collect it, not when you reserve it.

I was speaking to the manager in the Longford branch just now,he said "you always get the item at the price you reserve it".
    So the quoted post is incorrect!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Invincible wrote: »
    I was speaking to the manager in the Longford branch just now,he said "you always get the item at the price you reserve it".

Maybe that's the protocol in the Longford branch, but at the start of the thread people were reserving the box online and being charged a higher price upon collection in the store. Plus as people have said, by law Argos are not bound by the reserved price. So, the post is not incorrect.

Invincible wrote: »

I'm afraid he's incorrect, this has been brought up before, and should be stickied somewhere. The price you pay is the price in store on the day you collect the item. That policy applies across Argos UK and Ireland, and has done for years ....
    Please note that our prices change, sometimes on a daily basis. The price you pay is the price in store on the day you collect your items.

http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/Reserving.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

bought one of these a couple of weeks ago for 49.99
    pluged it into the cats ears upstairs and its perfect

i could never get tv3 with the cats ears but with this box its perfect

and i can record too bye bye sky!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

europhile wrote: »
    Would I be able to put .avi files on to a USB and play them via the Alba B660 or would I need to convert them?
    it'll play Xvid encoded AVIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyone know if any of the SAORVIEW Approved Set-Top-Boxs come with the required cable for connection to the Scart socket...or do you need to buy this seperate?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

gozunda wrote: »
    Anyone know if any of the SAORVIEW Approved Set-Top-Boxs come with the required cable for connection to the Scart socket...or do you need to buy this seperate?
    I've not seen any that have a Scart cable included. Some include HDMI cable only.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lisar816 wrote: »
    bought one of these a couple of weeks ago for 49.99
    pluged it into the cats ears upstairs and its perfect

i could never get tv3 with the cats ears but with this box its perfect

and i can record too bye bye sky!!

You do realise that you only get Irish tv on it??

zerks wrote: »
    You do realise that you only get Irish tv on it??

Hes had it a few weeks. I think he would have noticed.

I doubt any come with scart lead. Mine had a HDMI lead though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

what channels can be viewed with saorview? Would I need a saorview box for each room that has a tv? Pain in my backside handing UPC money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

what channels can be viewed with saorview? Would I need a saorview box for each room that has a tv? Pain in my backside handing UPC money.

I'm sorry but you could have saved 30 seconds typing what you did with a quick google of saorview channels or alternatively use the search forum here. http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/saorview-channels/

What you do need answered is yes you need a box in every room plus you need a connection to a UHF aerial, UPC connection will not work.

Are people finally waking up to the rip-off that is UPC and Sky? I'd never pay for TV ..... its mostly rubbish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

As far as the Argos saorview box for 49.99, it doesn't come with a scart cable and you couldn't use it if you had one because this box only comes with a hdmi connection.

Bozacke wrote: »
    As far as the Argos saorview box for 49.99, it doesn't come with a scart cable and you couldn't use it if you had one because this box only comes with a hdmi connection.

Nah the Argos box has a scart connection, just no scart cable, only HDMI cable. You can buy a cheap scart cable in Euro Shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Are people finally waking up to the rip-off that is UPC and Sky? I'd never pay for TV ..... its mostly rubbish anyway.

true, only issue is that most people won't buy a proper freesat and a saorivew box. My own missus gives out about the remotes as it is!

TheDriver wrote: »
    true, only issue is that most people won't buy a proper freesat and a saorivew box. My own missus gives out about the remotes as it is!

Are you talking about the combi boxes? They're more expensive though aren't they? I've 3 remotes now too, I'm gonna get a €10 universal remote next time Lidl have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭bromley52

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you could have saved 30 seconds typing what you did with a quick google of saorview channels or alternatively use the search forum here. http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/saorview-channels/

What you do need answered is yes you need a box in every room plus you need a connection to a UHF aerial, UPC connection will not work.

For anyone with a UPC point in their house you do not need a Saorview box to get the basic channels. Simply plug the cable into the point on any TV, do a scan and you will get crystal clear analog RTE 1, RTE2, TV3, and TG4. This will remain after the cut-off date.

If you have a TV which can get Saorview the chances are that it also has a DVB-C (cable) tuner. Currently ESPN and Setanta are showing FTA via the UPC cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭bromley52

Are you talking about the combi boxes? They're more expensive though aren't they? I've 3 remotes now too, I'm gonna get a €10 universal remote next time Lidl have them.

Get the Ferguson Ariva 250 combo box. It has a relatively good universal remote. Cost €120 here or about €95 delivered from Poland (Satsklep).
    Full EPG via DVB-T, now/next DVB-S. Plays most media files via USB. PVR functionallity, pause, record etc. Limited internet via LAN or wireless(dongle required), YouTube etc. DOES NOT HAVE MHEG5. It also has other interesting capabilities...

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    Get the Ferguson Ariva 250 combo box. It has a relatively good universal remote. Cost €120 here or about €95 delivered from Poland (Satsklep).
    Full EPG via DVB-T, now/next DVB-S. Plays most media files via USB. PVR functionallity, pause, record etc. Limited internet via LAN or wireless(dongle required), YouTube etc. DOES NOT HAVE MHEG5. It also has other interesting capabilities...

So no MPEG5 means no digital teletext then, but it has everything else? I was reading the thread on that box over on Terrestrial forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711036. Without going through the (14 page) thread do you have links to places where this box can be ordered? Thanks

Advertisement