Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos saorview box, 49.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

zerks wrote: »
    You do realise that you only get Irish tv on it??
    Of coarse i do its great because i i have freeview with my skybox and the others on my soarview box and anything else i can just watch on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Bozacke wrote: »
    As far as the Argos saorview box for 49.99, it doesn't come with a scart cable and you couldn't use it if you had one because this box only comes with a hdmi connection.
    i use a scart lead with mine havent got the flat screen up stairs just the old tv

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's impossible to buy a Saorview approved box without a Scart socket, as it's part of minimum spec for approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lisar816 wrote: »
    Of coarse i do its great because i i have freeview with my skybox and the others on my saorview box and anything else i can just watch on the internet.

That's ok,it's the amount of people who think they are going to get "free Sky" on it is astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bromley52 wrote: »
    For anyone with a UPC point in their house you do not need a Saorview box to get the basic channels. Simply plug the cable into the point on any TV, do a scan and you will get crystal clear analog RTE 1, RTE2, TV3, and TG4. This will remain after the cut-off date.

If you have a TV which can get Saorview the chances are that it also has a DVB-C (cable) tuner. Currently ESPN and Setanta are showing FTA via the UPC cable.

My UPC is abysmal vs the Saorview box and its has a PVR.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Oracle wrote: »
    Are people finally waking up to the rip-off that is UPC and Sky? I'd never pay for TV ..... its mostly rubbish anyway.

Preach brotha!....i haven't had UPC in over 3 years, all my tv comes from the net ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does anyone know the reccomended write-speed for a USB key (32GB) in any of these boxes to ensure smooth recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I'm using this box with this USB - 16GB OCZ Rally2 USB2.0

Records well but does have the odd pause for 5 or so seconds every 5 or so minutes when playing back HD content from RTÉ 2 HD.

I'd also be interested if anyone could recommend a USB stick that gives absolutely seamless playback?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

To the people who bought this set top box from argos, can you tell me if it comes with a HDMI cable included, and if there is an RCA audio output/headphone jack on it, as im looking to connect this to a monitor through HDMI -> DVI. cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tinie wrote: »
    To the people who bought this set top box from argos, can you tell me if it comes with a HDMI cable included, and if there is an RCA audio output/headphone jack on it, as im looking to connect this to a monitor through HDMI -> DVI. cheers
    you can pick up a 1.5m HDMI cable in most poundshops

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

you can pick up a 1.5m HDMI cable in most poundshops

I know that.

But I just want to make sure I dont go out of my way to get one, when there is one included in the box.

Anyway, does anyone know if its got RCA audio output on the back, or a 3.5mm jack either?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know that.

But I just want to make sure I dont go out of my way to get one, when there is one included in the box.

Anyway, does anyone know if its got RCA audio output on the back, or a 3.5mm jack either?

I think Tesco are sold out, none in Lucan / Maynooth yesterday

Powercity have a €59.95 one with cable in box
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-DI1180&pages=1&prod=DI1180&brands=DIGIHOME&image=

Argos have the €49.99 one - but it's now €59.99 :(

It would be nice if Aldi brought back the €55 box before 24th - but no sign of it yet

every one I've seen is RCA, can't ever remembering seen anything other than RCA even on DVD's and VCR's

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Yup, there's a HDMI cable included but no scart cable.
    Not too sure bout other stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I think Tesco are sold out, none in Lucan / Maynooth yesterday

Powercity have a €59.95 one with cable in box
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-DI1180&pages=1&prod=DI1180&brands=DIGIHOME&image=

Argos have the €49.99 one - but it's now €59.99 :(

It would be nice if Aldi brought back the €55 box before 24th - but no sign of it yet

every one I've seen is RCA, can't ever remembering seen anything other than RCA even on DVD's and VCR's

Argos jacking up the price *right* before the switchover.....scum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

.... and if there is an RCA audio output/headphone jack on it, as im looking to connect this to a monitor through HDMI -> DVI. cheers

Neither a headphone jack or RCA - but a digital optical audio socket alongside scart and HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Dairygold Co-op stores are selling this box at €39.99 . HDMI output 1080p for RTE 2 HD. Seems good for the price. Had plenty in stock in Carrigaline Branch. MPEG 4

http://www.coopsuperstores.ie/

http://www.tvstar.eu/tv-star-t1010-hd-usb-pvr/

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Hi All,
    Have been waiting and now it's time to purchase a saorview box. I know there was a lot of talk about this one when they came out in argos, just wondering how did those who bought one get on. The link is http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&productId=242002
    I know there was talk it was the wrong model and a rebadged other model etc..

Can anyone else suggest where I can get a similar one to this if this ones not great? Ennis limerick area, no more than 60 euros, don't want to get it posted to me, would prefer to buy local. Any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This one is great, just go to Argos and get it ..... there's plenty available in all the Limerick stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

This one is great, just go to Argos and get it ..... there's plenty available in all the Limerick stores.

have one but wont work on indoor aerial:(

Did you use an indoor aerial or do you have something in the attic or on the roof?

• Advertisement

Did you use an indoor aerial or do you have something in the attic or on the roof?

Indoor bunnys ears. It depends on your location, not the receiver box, whether you'll get Saorview with an indoor aerial, or if you'll need an outdoor aerial. If it doesn't work with an indoor aerial, you can get an outdoor aerial installed, or your existing aerial adjusted, then it should work.

Indoor bunnys ears. It depends on your location, not the receiver box, whether you'll get Saorview with an indoor aerial, or if you'll need an outdoor aerial. If it doesn't work with an indoor aerial, you can get an outdoor aerial installed, or your existing aerial adjusted, then it should work.

Ok, thanks for your help, think I will go for that one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you were able to pick up analogue TV3 at your location with an indoor aerial before the swithoff then you'll be fine with an indoor for Saorview on that box.

Saorview is on UHF.

Rabbits ears are for the old VHF band signals, and you'd probably get just a good a signal with 6" of cable stripped back.

Beware there is a lot of snake oil being sold as antennas - see more on the terresterial threads https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Hi All,
    Have been waiting and now it's time to purchase a saorview box. I know there was a lot of talk about this one when they came out in argos, just wondering how did those who bought one get on. The link is http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&productId=242002
    I know there was talk it was the wrong model and a rebadged other model etc..

Can anyone else suggest where I can get a similar one to this if this ones not great? Ennis limerick area, no more than 60 euros, don't want to get it posted to me, would prefer to buy local. Any ideas? Thanks

Time to get one myself.
    Just a couple of questions: Does 'record to a USB device' mean I can just stick a memory stick in it and play back when I want? Also can I play other videos in it if somebody gives them to me on a stick?
    I know with some other boxes you can't.
    Thanks guys.

Time to get one myself.
    Just a couple of questions: Does 'record to a USB device' mean I can just stick a memory stick in it and play back when I want? Also can I play other videos in it if somebody gives them to me on a stick?
    I know with some other boxes you can't.
    Thanks guys.
    For the Walker/Laurus/Nordmemde/Vestel/Akira clones

you can press the REC button to record what your are watching

the 7 day EPG means you can record programs anytime in the next week
    you can also do a text search on the EPG - the unit will stay in standby when recording , if you select timer (yellow) the unit will wake up to watch the program

it's very roughly 1GB per hour, RTE2 will take more because it's HD
    the .TS files are split ever GB so a long program will be split over several of them which means you have to open the next part of the program manually after half an hour ( which is far less annoying than sitting through ads)

You can only watch/record/time delay view one channel at a time and you can't record and time delay at the same time. you have to stop recording to change channel

If you turn off the receiver it will continue to record

File formats vary between this and the Ferguson Ariva 200, they won't play each others files. Media Player on a PC will play back both. Both will playback some AVI files (haven't tested this enough to give a definitive answer)

With suitable software to change formats / edit out the ads / rip DVD's it could be used as basic media player.

I've to test it out for looking at digital camera photos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sounds good. Might splash out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

For the Walker/Laurus/Nordmemde/Vestel/Akira clones

you can press the REC button to record what your are watching

the 7 day EPG means you can record programs anytime in the next week
    you can also do a text search on the EPG - the unit will stay in standby when recording , if you select timer (yellow) the unit will wake up to watch the program

it's very roughly 1GB per hour, RTE2 will take more because it's HD
    the .TS files are split ever GB so a long program will be split over several of them which means you have to open the next part of the program manually after half an hour ( which is far less annoying than sitting through ads)

You can only watch/record/time delay view one channel at a time and you can't record and time delay at the same time. you have to stop recording to change channel

If you turn off the receiver it will continue to record

File formats vary between this and the Ferguson Ariva 200, they won't play each others files. Media Player on a PC will play back both. Both will playback some AVI files (haven't tested this enough to give a definitive answer)

With suitable software to change formats / edit out the ads / rip DVD's it could be used as basic media player.

I've to test it out for looking at digital camera photos

You sound like you know what you're talking about :)

Do you have an Alba yourself or would you recommend another one? I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful one that works well...

Just seen some in Tesco Coonagh roundabout Limerick for 49.99 and says it includes the hdmi cable. Brand is technik which I think is tescos own electrical brand. Any idea if its any good?

• Advertisement

Just seen some in Tesco Coonagh roundabout Limerick for 49.99 and says it includes the hdmi cable. Brand is technik which I think is tescos own electrical brand. Any idea if its any good?

Yeah it's the same as the Argos one with a different badge.

Advertisement