Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old getting sick

Options
  • 01-05-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

If anyone has any suggestions or advice here, it would be most appreciated.

We have a ten month old baby boy. Breast fed exclusively until 3 weeks ago when we started introducing 2 bottles (aptamil follow on formula) a day in order to prepare him for the creche which he started two weeks ago (retaining a breast feed first thing in the morning and last thing at night).

But since starting the creche he is getting sick - sometimes twice a day. It is often just after sneezing and almost coughing. He isn't unduly upset, isn't in pain and has no temperature. It can happen in the morning or afternoon.

It happened on Saturday at home around five minutes after a bottle. He kind of coughed then it all came up.

We were wondering could it be the brand of formula (he had aptamil a few times in the first 2 months when my wife had sore boobs and had no ill reaction) or could there be lactose issues? So before we went to the doctor, we tried him on lactose free formula from a different company (SMA). He still got sick yesterday at creche. They fed him his lunch and had him in a high chair an hour later nibbling on a rice cake when he got sick.

We were wondering last night could it be over feeding? He was fed on demand for nine and a half months. Maybe the bottle is over filling him and causing him to get sick. Read a few books last night which indicated that he's at the stage where we could cut out the bottles at this stage.

So today he got his usual wake up breast feed and we gave the creche his sippy cup with water and planned no milk until tonight and breast (maybe two feeds when we got home if he wanted).

But today he got sick again without any formula at all. Have an appointment with the doc later this week but has anyone any suggestions here?

Could it be a bit of reflux? It's a bit strange for reflux to start at 9.5 months and just after starting formula. He is a healthy weight, loves his food and isn't tired/unhealthy in any way. He sleeps right through the night (from around 7:30pm to 6:30am). So he is hardly hungry if he's sleeping so well?

He was always a little bit phlegmy and is drooling heavily at the moment as well so teething may be involved.

Thanks for any/all advice.

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

quad_red wrote: »
    Could it be a bit of reflux? It's a bit strange for reflux to start at 9.5 months and just after starting formula. He is a healthy weight, loves his food and isn't tired/unhealthy in any way. He sleeps right through the night (from around 7:30pm to 6:30am). So he is hardly hungry if he's sleeping so well?

Mate Toddlers throw up and when they go to Creche they catch everything.

My boy threw up all weekend and was crapping on the hour. He also had a cough which we think caused it. Kids have a great way of not choking they throw up. "Hang on I cant breathe ... right everybody out"

Monday morning he was fine.

Ring your maternal health nurse and run it by them.

I am also jealous as hell of your 11 hour sleeps ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Op I know you didn't ask specifically about breastfeeding v formula but at 10 months your son would be fine with 2-3 breastfeeds and water during the day. There's no need to introduce formula and bottles at this stage.

There's no way to definitively say why he's throwing up but if it continues I'd say you should consult your gp. Yes babies vomit but not that often. You've sort of eliminated formula as the cause. One other thing to check is if the creche are over feeding him. Breastfed babies, as you say, are used to feeding on demand. For this reason we always let our son lead the way with solids too and I specifically asked the crèche not to do choo choo trains or airplanes with him. If the crèche are doing this he may take the food only to vomit it back up after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks folks.

It may just be he's over eating.

Gonna have another chat to crèche tomorrow. To eliminate another possibility (allergy/reaction to food), we're sending in home food to the crèche tomorrow with no bottles and we'll see how he gets on.

He may just have a sensitive gag reflex. But he got sick three times today. And that's not on going forward.

Gonna get him checked with doc as well just in case.

Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My little girl always pukes when she's teething, she only got her first tooth at 10months. Her drool seems to be think and acidic and it makes her sick. Maybe mention this at the doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My now 3 year old had the same problem.

The issue with my son was there had to be regualar.. same sized meals 3 times a day. The doctor said (are repeatedly gettting sick.. no apparent pain/crying before or after) that the stomach has to be streched the same amount to adjust to regular meals.

ie. breakfast - readbrek and formula - 2/3 large teaspoons
    lunch- puree 2/3 large spoons
    tea - same amount.

You get the idea.

It worked for us.

We also now have a 10 month old and follow the same advice. He is on the routine above. We have never had the problem we did with baby number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like what my daughter does... She started it as soon as we gave her finger foods. Rice cakes are huge big no-no for us. She will throw up on those every time, plus the rest of the contents of tummy. Very sensitive gag reflex. Rusks, toast, anything longish or lumpy that can be stuck to the back of her throat she can't handle yet.

Is it during food time that they throw up, or a while afterwards? My daughter is always while she is eating... or maybe a minute later when she is still chewing.

We have been to GP about it, and she said just step it back with the food consistancy for a while, and give smaller amounts more often. Which seems to have worked well for us. She will still throw up maybe three or 4 times a week on smooth things, like yoghurt or mashed fruit, but she seems to take too much into her mouth in one go sometimes, and then gags and throws up everything.

Oh, and she has an egg allergy, so she throws up that as well if she swipes another kids food in creche. But that's more obvious when it happens, she gets hives and her face swells up with it.

She gets porridge at 8 am. Then mashed fruit and a broken up bit of bread at 10. Lunch at 12:30 is mashed potatos and mince+veg or something similar. Snack at 2pm is small bits of cheese and some soft fruit. 4pm snack is a yoghurt. then 6:30 is dinner of mashed up whatever we are eating...

Folks,

Just as an epilogue - we seem to have sorted it. Baby hasn't gotten sick in four days. The crèche were feeding him bigger portions than we were and he was gulping it all down.

They've reduced portion size and now feed him slower (slower than the other children and he is not impressed by this!) and now he's being given only one milk portion during the day and it's from a sippy cup. So instead of being 'poured in via' bottle he's got to work harder and longer to get it out.

The combination of these appears to be doing the job.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The doctor said (are repeatedly gettting sick.. no apparent pain/crying before or after) that the stomach has to be streched the same amount to adjust to regular meals.
    Personally speaking, I find this such an unbelievably cruel thing to say to anxious parents. Imagine if a doctor said the same thing about an adult - you have to feed them enough to stretch their stomach.

Pwurple our fella has been baby led weaned so he was very used to texture but rice cakes were a complete no no until 1 year as he'd gag and vomit on them.

Op I'm glad you've got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Personally speaking, I find this such an unbelievably cruel thing to say to anxious parents. Imagine if a doctor said the same thing about an adult - you have to feed them enough to stretch their stomach.

Pwurple our fella has been baby led weaned so he was very used to texture but rice cakes were a complete no no until 1 year as he'd gag and vomit on them.

Totally agree. Some of the stuff in this thread is bizarre.

We do same as you HowStrange....baby leads the way.

Haven't gone wrong so far. He's thrown up a handful of times since birth, now 12 months old. Tends to throw up if choking on big lump of fruit usually.

Stomach stretching and creche overfeeding.....how horrendous is that for a child?

Stomach stretching and creche overfeeding.....how horrendous is that for a child?

Can't comment on the stomach stretching but the creche overfeeding isn't as horrendous.

I think our little man is part labrador. He just keeps the mouth open and keeps taking no matter what. I am fully sure he'd keep going and try to eat a full tub of yogurt if he could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement