Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Meara declares for Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Going to need a replacement for Shay soon so hopefully he's up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

leave him where he is, im sick of this granny rule crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Exclude Given and our options in goal aren't much use. The more the better, eventually someone will be capable enough to take the number one shirt.

Has anyone ever seen this guy play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Why not? Irish-Americans tend to have a real pride in their heritage which is more than can be said for SOME of the English lads that declared for us in recent years.

He appears to be a tall strapping lad which is usually a benefit for a keeper. If he's any good, he'd be a good presence on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

We should try get some sort of Irish youth thread going.

Opr

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Exclude Given and our options in goal aren't much use. The more the better, eventually someone will be capable enough to take the number one shirt.

Has anyone ever seen this guy play?

i disagree i think we have several keepers with pedigree. and many coming through for the future aswell.

what was the name of that young lad from the hotbed of irish goalkeeping donegal, seemingly he was hot property from an early age and the big boys in england were queueing up for his signature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

opr wrote: »

Opr

Perv :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

No harm in looking west for a few potential players. He seems like a decent player, might turn out to be a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Good news! When Westwood eventually takes the number 1 jersey, he's going to need a decent young understudy. Hopefully we can generate a bit of competition for that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If he feels like he's Irish then why shouldn't he declare for us? You don't need to be born in Ireland to be Irish.

Paul McGrath, Ronan O'Gara, Dave O'Leary, Malcolm O'Kelly - all Irish sporting heroes born outside of Ireland.

Ireland seems to be his first choice so best of luck to the fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I've watched him played a few times with the Red Bulls, he is actually fairly good given he is just out of college. He has a lot to learn but looks like he has some potential.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If he's nearly as good as Howard or Friedel, we'll be smiling. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

If he feels like he's Irish then why shouldn't he declare for us? You don't need to be born in Ireland to be Irish.

Paul McGrath, Ronan O'Gara, Dave O'Leary, Malcolm O'Kelly - all Irish sporting heroes born outside of Ireland.

Them four lads were brought up in Ireland from an early age, I think he's referring more to the likes of John Aldridge, Ray Houghton, Mick McCarthy, Andy Townsend. Or from the current squad Aiden McGeady, Jon Walters or Sean St Ledger etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I feel like I'm a wolf trapped inside a man's body. Am I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Stephen Henderson at West Ham is probably our best goalkeeping prospect outside the underage setup, no harm adding some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

There is a young lad at United Joe Coll. I understand he is regarded as a decent prospect. Still a kid, mind. 18 this year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Meara looks a good keeper already. I've watched the Red Bulls on ESPN a few times recently and he has impressed me even thought I didnt know he was Irish/qualified.

Another season or two in the MLS then a move to Europe and we could well have a good keeper on our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

There is a young lad at United Joe Coll. I understand he is regarded as a decent prospect. Still a kid, mind. 18 this year I think.

We have a Norwegian born lad at Arsenal, Sean McDermott. He's played for us at underage level too. I think he had a month long loan at Leeds earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

opr wrote: »

Opr
    We should try and get some sort of Irish youth football system going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'll be at the Galaxy V Red Bulls game at the weekend so I'll report back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

No harm having more prospects. If they are willing to declare young they might fell more of a connection and passion for the team than someone who declares late or we have to chase.

Although I may be cynical but he might be doing it in the hope it will help him get a move to Europe / England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

what defines an Irish person. Born in the country? Of direct Irish heritage but not born here? One parent Irish? Two Grandparents Irish? One Grandparent Irish?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'll be at the Galaxy V Red Bulls game at the weekend so I'll report back then!

cant wait!
    matrim wrote: »
    Although I may be cynical but he might be doing it in the hope it will help him get a move to Europe / England.

Bingo
    what defines an Irish person. Born in the country? Of direct Irish heritage but not born here? One parent Irish? Two Grandparents Irish? One Grandparent Irish?

in the case of americans drinking a pint of guiness should seal it

in the case of americans drinking a pint of guiness should seal it

What is it with Irish people and their snobbery towards people of Irish ancestry that identify themselves as Irish.

Only in this country would we have some sort of difficulty with it and feel threatened by it.

What is it with Irish people and their snobbery towards people of Irish ancestry that identify themselves as Irish.

Only in this country would we have some sort of difficulty with it and feel threatened by it.

Do you like how people celebrate St. Patty's day?

What's that got to do with being eligible to play for Ireland, like Ryan Meara is?

Id prefer a guy who wants to play for ireland even if he is not from here, then a one who doesnt (and its worse when he is from here). Provided they are good enough that is.

Its not just Ireland that nationalise people from other countries. France, Germany, even England picked Hargreaves and John Barnes (and wanted Dwight Yorke) also. Granted that in France, Germany, Holland etc, most of the players grew up in that given country albeit within in an ethnic minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Why would anyone have a prolem with people celebrating their Irish heritage? Even if they have 0% Irish blood in them, it's still only a bit of fun. Why would you frown on it?

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    Why would anyone have a prolem with people celebrating their Irish heritage? Even if they have 0% Irish blood in them, it's still only a bit of fun. Why would you frown on it?

Patty's dude, Patty's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

CSF wrote: »
    I feel like I'm a wolf trapped inside a man's body. Am I?

Was one of your grandparents a wolf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If he's as good as Howard/Friedel, great stuff. If he's as good as Joe Lapira, Yanks out :pac:

Edit: He couldn't look any more Irish if he was wearing a Kerry Football Jersey and a paddy cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

From who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

From who?

The Irish I think. They assumed he'd be joining them and announced he'd be joining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

The key points from here:
    Red Bulls block goalkeeper Ryan Meara's Irish call-up

The New York Red Bulls’ rookie goalkeeper... was asked to join Ireland’s Under-21 national team ahead of next month’s European U-21 Championship qualifier against Italy. But the Red Bulls, keen to keep their young goalkeeper in the fold, have rejected the invitation.

“I got called in for the U-21s, but the Red Bulls would rather me stay here and focus on continuing to win games here,” Meara said via the MLS website. “My main focus is here as well. We have a great team and I think the goal is the MLS Cup, so that’s all I’m focusing on.”

"It’s an honor to be considered for Ireland, but like I said, right now I am focused on what’s going on here..."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2012-05-01/new-york-red-bulls-goalkeeper-ryan-meara-accepts-ireland-call-up

I thought there had been a ruling on call ups for competitive u21 games sanctioned by UEFA/FIFA a while back, I must have imagined it if clubs can still refuse to let players go.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Stephen Henderson at West Ham is probably our best goalkeeping prospect outside the underage setup, no harm adding some more.

what about forde, doyle, murphy etc suppose id even have to say westwood even though hes an arsehole but hes in the squad. not to mention the host of keepers we have in our own league....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I'm watching LA Galaxy vs NY Red Bulls now and Ryan Meara is having a very good game. He looks really assured under the high ball and has claimed well from a number of crosses and corners. Robbie Keane on other hand is having a quiet game. Meara is the Red Bulls #1 goalkeeper and their manager clearly wanted him for the league games. Anyway, I like the look of him.

Judging on only a couple of games but he looks top class.
    Excellent command ofhis area, a very good shot stopper and good distribution. His communication with his defence seems decent too in spite of his inexperience.

If I was Trap I'd bring him to Poland even if it was just to ensure the US don't get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If I was Trap I'd bring him to Poland even if it was just to ensure the US don't get him.
    Steady on

• Advertisement

It would be more beneficial for the future of the national team than bringing Forde. Of course it is not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So, saw him play today against Galaxy, looked very good and kept a clean sheet.

LA didn't trouble him as much as they should have, but he looked very confident for his age. Made two great saves, one from a shot close in, low to his side that he got down well to, and another top drawer save from a pile driver headed for the top corner.

He was an imposing figure too, and used his size well at times to punch clear. He did, however, look a little bit dodgy at crosses. Not so much flapping, as not looking sure of whether he should stay on the line, or go to collect in the air. When he actually went, he did well, but sometimes he hung back when he should have dominated the area. Bad deliveries on Galaxy's part meant this was never even close to being punished though.

All in all, looked very good. Clearly has great natural ability and really just needs more experience to maybe improve decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

any more news on Mera? Is he still considering playing for us or is he more committed to the US team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Sin City wrote: »
    any more news on Mera? Is he still considering playing for us or is he more committed to the US team?

He got a hip injury, had surgery and is out for the rest of the MLS season.

http://twitpic.com/amz2wp

Apparently a Mayo fan: http://twitter.com/RMeara_18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Will you ever give this ****e a rest,

I'm sure nobody was spouting this bollox during the good years with Jack when 4/5's of the team were Brits.

The only upshot from the Euros was that every match, pretty much every player sang the national anthem, including our English born players. And that, is MORE then enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Sin City wrote: »

When he is fit, if he is/will be first choice for the Red Bulls, he could have a shot at the Ireland number 1 shirt. Kieran Westwood, Stephen Henderson and David Forde are warming benches for the forseeable. Have a feeling Henderson will will get a shot at West Ham soon though... Jussi Jaaeskelinan is old and error prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

When he is fit, if he is/will be first choice for the Red Bulls, he could have a shot at the Ireland number 1 shirt. Kieran Westwood, Stephen Henderson and David Forde are warming benches for the forseeable. Have a feeling Henderson will will get a shot at West Ham soon though... Jussi Jaaeskelinan is old and error prone.

Yes , but is he going to re pledge his alligence to Ireland or will he try for the States?

As for Henderson, when Jaaeskelinan is moved on and West Ham are still in the premiership Id say they will get another keeper ahead of Henderson. I hope Im wrong but Id say so. It could be Westwood youd never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

TheDoc wrote: »
    Will you ever give this ****e a rest,

I'm sure nobody was spouting this bollox during the good years with Jack when 4/5's of the team were Brits.

I don't really feel any pride about those days, it seemed like the whole bloody team was English, the granny rule has to go. Whenever I hear about a new player coming into the fold, the first thing I do now is check where he was born. I know its not right but I just cant stand how international football has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't really feel any pride about those days, it seemed like the whole bloody team was English, the granny rule has to go. Whenever I hear about a new player coming into the fold, the first thing I do now is check where he was born. I know its not right but I just cant stand how international football has gone.

In fairness I owe the poster an apology, reading back it sounds like I'm attacking him, I'm attacking the thought process though.

While there is the obvious lads who just jump nations to get football exposure to get higher contracts, there are guys who are genuinely proud of their heritage, understand the cause and bust a gut in the kersey.

Sure **** I'm Irish born and dont feel much immense pride towards the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boiling National identity and what it means to be Irish down to a simple question of birth place is an extremely redundant and incomplete way to approach the topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement