Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home server build - RAID questions

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

heres a question id like to ask. say if i bought a proliant microserver and had hard drives in the 4 bays plus another 1 in the optical bay, can i put the drives in with data on them, is there any OS i can install on a usb stick that i can use just to stream the files without wiping the data of the disks when installing. i dont want any form of raid or backup just basically to stream the files, bluray movies, music etc. can i set freenas up in this way, i dont want the data to be erased of my drives on setup. in the future i will do some sort of raid. for now i just want to get all these drives from my main pc to like the microserver and stream from there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

AFAIK, FreeNAS will do that for you. It only wipes drives when you go to setup RAID arrays. If you're JBODing stuff then you should be fine to plug and play, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

Serephucus wrote: »
    AFAIK, FreeNAS will do that for you. It only wipes drives when you go to setup RAID arrays. If you're JBODing stuff then you should be fine to plug and play, as it were.
    cheers serephucus, do you know if they will be shown as a pool or individual drives when using jbod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Haven't a clue. I've never actually used FreeNAS as it stands, so don't take my word as true either.

Advertisement