Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas to encourage dog to pee outside

• 01-05-2012 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Have a 10mth old dog hav just recently got her so shes still settling in. She will not do her business outside. She was kept in a pen before i got her so think shes just used to going on dat kind of surface. Hav had her out for hrs at a time and she dsnt do anything. Its usualy just at nite she goes so i hav a lovely present in the morning!!! Any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Praise and Patience

Praise, make a big deal of her when she goes outside, treats etc...

Patience, wait outside with her until she does go....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

What breed/type?

Some can be extremely stubborn, but taking her out regularly (hard in this weather Iknow) and praise for every effort is the key, she'll start asking to go out in a short space of time. We have one fella convinced that going for a widdle is the best thing he could possibly do for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Ignore any accidents inside - she wont know what shes in trouble for.
    Praise and do a silly voice when she goes outside - if you repeat that phrase in the same tone of voice enough, it will be enough to make her go on demand - start with a really nice treat as well, and phase it out.
    We tried the puppy pads but ours ignored them..
    A square of carpet in the kitchen was where she kept going, cos once her scent was on it, she was attracted to it. So we kept moving the square nearer and nearer the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 suggs

Thanks for your replies. Shes a saluki is out with me all the time and has never ever gone outside . Iv stood in the garden with her for ages she lies down beside me. We wer on a beach for about 3hrs and not a dribble!!! I think iff she does it once outside it will get easier but she just dsnt seem to want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How often and at what times is the dog being fed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

Bring her out and ignore her totally until she goes, then go mad with the praise, treats and playtime.
    Do that every time you go out, and eventually she'll get the message.

Shes only just starting to get in a better routine of eating and drinking. So she gets her morning feed at about 8am she usualy dsnt eat it all so i giv her it bak around 2pm and shes gets more in evening about 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,232 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leave it outside

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has she access to the outside during the night?

If she is not eating until 8pm then she will need to go possibly during the night.

Salukis are fierce stubborn dogs, so you'll have to work hard to change her behaviour.

Change her feeding time to maybe 5/6pm and take her out last thing at night.

If you can, during the day when she goes out to the toilet, even it is just weekends, praise her like mad when she pees/poos (not after) and give her a treat, so she associates what she is doing with a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

suggs wrote: »
    Shes only just starting to get in a better routine of eating and drinking. So she gets her morning feed at about 8am she usualy dsnt eat it all so i giv her it bak around 2pm and shes gets more in evening about 8pm.

Try feeding at 8am and 6pm, and nothing inbetween, you won't be able to figure it out until the dog is in a set routine, walk her last thing before bed.

• Advertisement

No she cant get outside during the nite. Yes mayb will feed her earlier i hav been getting up during nite to bring her out though. Its like for her grass r concrete outside is not a place for her to do it!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Give her time, and plenty of praise and she will settle into a routine.

I'd one dog who was mad as a brush and would look around and if anyone was watching him he'd not go.

Just try to get her in a routine, find her favourite food treat and only give it to her when she goes outside :)

Thanks for dat. Mayb i need to turn around when i take her out lol :) shes a babe and im sure we shall overcome the prob.

Advertisement