Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence & Permission

Options
  • 01-05-2012 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all,
    My brother is in garden and plant business and wants to put small 20ft containers in four diffrent locations around dublin like carparks to retail from. He can not find out any info on what licences or permission he might need from the relevant councils. He will be paying rents to all the owners of the locations.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bell 430

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

He's trying to create retail space where there is none designated. The council would be his first port of call, as owners of the carparks I presume. They'd also be his second port of call, as the enforcers of buildings and commercial space use.
    Has he seen this working in another jurisdiction? Sometimes people sell from vans (market-traders) in car-parks but a container? I wouldn't think its a runner at all. He MIGHT get a licence for casual trading from a mobile unit. Which a container is not. Just my opinon btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

possibly check the legislation allowing seaonal product to be sold from the roadside - I know it covers strawberries and the like, but may cover other items.

Otherwise if its only for a short period and its on private land such as a carpark, then no licence is required, but plannign maybe, but by the time they issue enforcement proceeding, the season will be over and your brotehr gone away.

Just tell him to avoid being in direct competion to anyone nearby as they can make noise to the council.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

This sounds like a bad idea to be honest, with so much retail space available and foot fall already in those shopping areas might i suggest he consider trying some pop up shops instead. Find a unit that is already kitted out and where the landlord is keen to get any rent at all, or a complimentary business such as a lawnmower company who could benefit from letting out some space they no longer use due to keeping less stock as a result of the down turn.

Advertisement