Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Review of Graduated Driving Licensing and Essential Driver Training

• 01-05-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I and possibly some of the other ADI driving instructors here on boards, will be attending a review of the Graduated Driving Licensing and Essential Driver Training. The meeting i am going to is tomorrow night (Wednesday 2nd May). The meetings are with a third party so I don't think anyone from the RSA will be there. I also expect there to be very little infomation comming out of the meeting our way. To be very honest I am sceptical as to how much the RSA will listen to the finding or if they are just paying 'lipservice'.
    Still, Does anyone have any observations or suggestions they would like mentioned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

See you there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hi Darragh,

One thing I may suggest might be to see if the RSA can give out some more clarity in regards to the time limits for applying for your actual test (I know probably whistling in the dark).

At the moment there seems to be just a mess of confusion as to when you can actually apply, is it after the initial 6 months following getting your first provisional, is it before the 6 months provided that the test date will be after the 6 months or does it depend on the humour of who stamps the form for you eventually?

Another suggestion is to see if the RSA can provide some clarity on the potential cluster-fudge that is EDT 12 during the summer months. ( Inspired by this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056624275 ) It's a good idea to have night driving as part of the learning process but it is pretty inpractical between the months of May and August.

Again I imagine that this may be whistling in the dark but I'd imagine if there is a consencous formed it might make it harder for the RSA to keep playing the ostrich.

A third suggestion may be to see if there is anyway that motorway driving can be incorporated into the learning process. I know it is accepted that this is possibly the easiest form of driving but the way it is at the moment is just simply madness.

Hope this doesn't add too much onto your agenda and I'll catch ye on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

I spoke to ADI unit today and my query re EDT 12 is being passed on to the Chief Driver Tester. Will let you know what I hear back.

You can apply for your test at any time during the 6 month period but you will not receive a test date until after that 6 months, and in the event of a clerical error the testers will not actually test you. At the moment, you must have your logbook completed by your ADI but soon they will also require that your ADI has submitted all your EDT dates on the ADI portal.

You can now access that portal yourself to make sure all your lessons are returned and up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

rsom wrote: »
    I spoke to ADI unit today and my query re EDT 12 is being passed on to the Chief Driver Tester. Will let you know what I hear back.

You can apply for your test at any time during the 6 month period but you will not receive a test date until after that 6 months, and in the event of a clerical error the testers will not actually test you. At the moment, you must have your logbook completed by your ADI but soon they will also require that your ADI has submitted all your EDT dates on the ADI portal.

You can now access that portal yourself to make sure all your lessons are returned and up to date.

Thats what my reading of that is too. To give an example, lets say the waiting time in a particular test center is 4 weeks, once you have your 12 EDT's passed, you 'should' be able to apply for your test 5 months and 1 week after you've got your provisional and have your full license within 6 months and one week after getting your provisional.

(as an aside, Al and Timbuc, feel free to split this off to a new thread if you feel that this may sidetrack Darragh's main point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Not sure if this information will come out of your meeting but something i think maybe interesting regarding road safety etc

1/ What % of accidents involve non full licence holders ?
    2/ How many people have been prosecuted for driving alone without a full licence since the start of the EDT/Graduated driver licencing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

As expected it was a meeting with a third party from a research company. So no information came out. But many good points were made be various ADIs. It some stage in the distant future the EDT may be changed to be more like the motorbike IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

ADIDriving wrote: »
    As expected it was a meeting with a third party from a research company. So no information came out. But many good points were made be various ADIs. It some stage in the distant future the EDT may be changed to be more like the motorbike IBT.

Yeah, I heard something like that too, as in you will be asked to drive somewhere locally and followed by the tester who will take note of how you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

hehe... the first I heard of the meeting was a text to my mobile 1 1/2 hours before the start time..... I live at least 2 hours away! Thanks rsa....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

just a quick question has there been any update on the r plates or hazard perception test ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

ec18 wrote: »
    just a quick question has there been any update on the r plates or hazard perception test ?

It say here that the Hazard Perception test will come in this summer.
    Legislation is being prepared for R Plates

I do note that some other dates on that table are late
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Graduated-Driver-Licensing/GDL-rollout/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Yeah I've seen that but it doesn't seem to have been updated since it was first published online. I was just wondering if anyone at the review might have gotten an update?

Advertisement