Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availability checker

• 01-05-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Is there any generic broadband availability checker in operation now as both the broadband.gov one and also getbroadband.ie seem to be no longer in operation.

I just want to see a full list of providers and packages available in certain areas (towns)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

For DSL check the Homevision website (checker is on the right, enter your Landline number there). Any DSL provider (magnet/vodafone/eircom/digiweb etc. ) will be able to provide at least resold Eircom bitstream on those lines.

For UPC, enter your address in the checker on the website.

For mobile broadband - swing your phone around in the air while standing on your head and chant the hail mary four times. If you get good 3G coverage, that's your estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

roast wrote: »
    For DSL check the Homevision website (checker is on the right, enter your Landline number there). Any DSL provider (magnet/vodafone/eircom/digiweb etc. ) will be able to provide at least resold Eircom bitstream on those lines.

For UPC, enter your address in the checker on the website.

For mobile broadband - swing your phone around in the air while standing on your head and chant the hail mary four times. If you get good 3G coverage, that's your estimate.

Not exactly what I was thinking. I want to put lets say an address anywhere in Ireland in and see what options are in that locality. i.e it comes back satellite available from the following 3 operators, Wireless available from these 7 and dsl from these 11 and the packages available from each operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

cargo wrote: »
    Not exactly what I was thinking. I want to put lets say an address anywhere in Ireland in and see what options are in that locality. i.e it comes back satellite available from the following 3 operators, Wireless available from these 7 and dsl from these 11 and the packages available from each operator.

Oh aye, I know what you meant. I'm not aware of any that's currently active though. There was a commonly-used generic checker a few years back, but the name of it escapes me right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

roast wrote: »
    Oh aye, I know what you meant. I'm not aware of any that's currently active though. There was a commonly-used generic checker a few years back, but the name of it escapes me right now.

yeah the 2 I can remember were

www.getbroadband.ie (just coming up blank)
    www.broadband.gov.ie or something like that (redirects to Dept's site)

It's not even for me but just an easier answer to a question I was asked...

If anyone has another idea feel free :-)

Advertisement