Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10mile August 25th

• 01-05-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I see the route is up on the series website now. Different layout to last years. Hopefully the finish wont get too congested at that tight right hander onto Furze Road. Seems we'll be on the footpath as we round the corner.:confused:

website
    route
    last year's thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Congestion shouldn't be a problem in the last mile of the race.

this is back to the 2010 course as well by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

Reckon it's a slower course then than last year's, having to slog up Military Rd. Last year we came down it. Got a significant PB for the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

Just singed up for the Frank Duffy, helped out at last years race so I'm going to have a go this year, It's my 1st 10 mile race, according to Mr mcMillan based on my 4 miles time I should run it in 1:16:17 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

CS_Runner wrote: »
    Just singed up for the Frank Duffy, helped out at last years race so I'm going to have a go this year, It's my 1st 10 mile race, according to Mr mcMillan based on my 4 miles time I should run it in 1:16:17 ?

McMillan is pretty good in my opinion on anything up to Half Marathon for giving a good prediction. The only caveat with predicting the time for a longer distance is that it will not be accurate if you don't have the endurance training done to cover the distance at the required pace.

The distance wont be a problem, I run 8-10 mile each Sunday and I also completed the HM series last year in 1:48..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I was thinking of doing this race, it will be my first time doing it and only started running recently any advice anyone can give me. Also is it a charity event can I pick my own charity to run for?

Thanks in advance :D

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing this race, it will be my first time doing it and only started running recently any advice anyone can give me. Also is it a charity event can I pick my own charity to run for?

There is no particular charity associated with the race, so you can raise money yourself for whatever charity you like.

Just keep running regularly and build up the distances gradually. Run at an easy, conversational pace most of the time. Pick a shorter distance race between now and the 10 miler for race practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

CS_Runner wrote: »
    The distance wont be a problem, I run 8-10 mile each Sunday and I also completed the HM series last year in 1:48..

This is where people fall down,you think just because you run an 8-10mile run each week this will give you the endurance.

Mcmillan based on your half marathon time for 10miles gives you around 80-81mins so maybe you need to concentrate on your endurance more.

I run 30-35 miles per week NOT 8-10 read my post again This is what I do on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

He is saying that a long run of 8-10 miles is not optimal. To build endurance you should look at extending your long run to 13+ miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Im giving an opinion and I did realise you run more than 8-10miles per week.Increase that long run if you want a good performance.
    You did finish your post with a question mark so guessed you wanted an honest reply.
    Good luck with the training and hope you get your time you want.

Thanks Mesocamo @ Thirstywork,

Sorry TW2 I misinterpreted your reply

In anyway I very rarely race anything over 10K thats why I only run 8-10 as my long run which probably makes sense, The plan would be to increase my long run over the next 8 weeks to 14 at the max, hopefully I can run something around 75-76 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Wondering how people's preperation for this race is going and what distance they are currently running to prepare for this one.
    This will be my third ever race and looking forward to it.

Decided to give the 10K in July a miss so this is my next target.
    Completed a LSR 7.5 Mile today and hope to increase by a mile every 2 weeks. During the week im doing 3 runs varying between 4-5 Mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Signed up for this, first race in ages since the disaster in June.

Hoping for a big p.b in this one, since my last attempt 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I've been doing a weekly long run of 10-12k in preparation for this, in between 2 to 3 evening 4-7km runs where possible. I am going to try the full route in the park tomorrow at a leisurely pace and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

At the moment I'm doing 1 easy runs (4 miles), 1 interval run (4 x 3 mins) , 1 tempo run and a long run of 9 - 10 miles at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

syngindub wrote: »
    Wondering how people's preperation for this race is going and what distance they are currently running to prepare for this one.
    This will be my third ever race and looking forward to it.

Decided to give the 10K in July a miss so this is my next target.
    Completed a LSR 7.5 Mile today and hope to increase by a mile every 2 weeks. During the week im doing 3 runs varying between 4-5 Mile.

Currently following Hal Higdon Inter 1 plan for DCM so this is how I am preparing for this ..with a few other races thrown in incl race series. So 10k tomorrow..should be doing 11m LSR on plan so decided on 2 mile warm up...10k race..followed by 2 mile warm down. Never would have dreamed of even trying that a couple of years ago!

Did the 10 mile last year in 92 mins so look to cut that this year by 5-7 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Been a bit lazy for the last few weeks but managed to sqeeze in an 8 mile run today in preperation for the 10 mile run. 82 Minutes. Legs worse for wear but didn't feel out of breath at all for the whole run. Off the smokes 8 weeks which must be the reason. Felt i could of pushed a lot harder.

Family commitments next weekend so i'm going to push for a 9 Mile this coming friday. I'd really like to run this race in 8 minute miles but judging by the time today im not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

How long more are they leaving the entry open for this? Says on the website 5th August but its still open as far as I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

tunguska wrote: »
    How long more are they leaving the entry open for this? Says on the website 5th August but its still open as far as I can make out.

On the first registration page it says the 05th August, but on the page where you input your info it says the 10th August !. I know for the Fingal 10k a friend of mine rang up the week before and got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Where is a good place to park for this race ? I don't know dublin so I will be just poping it into the sat nav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

rom wrote: »
    Where is a good place to park for this race ? I don't know dublin so I will be just poping it into the sat nav.

Have a read of the thread about the 5 mile in the park, this was discussed in detail.

My advice is the War Memorial Park. It's a bit of a walk, but the warm up will do you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

huskerdu wrote: »
    Have a read of the thread about the 5 mile in the park, this was discussed in detail.

My advice is the War Memorial Park. It's a bit of a walk, but the warm up will do you good.

That carpark was very busy for the 5miler. I got there about an hour before the start of the race and it was already full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you're coming from outside the m50, you could park in the Red Cow park and ride and get the Luas in to Heuston. Short enough walk from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is there anyway I could still register for this race? Was looking forward to it but I forgot all about the deadline :(

No, they don't do late entries in the race series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

RayCun wrote: »
    No, they don't do late entries in the race series

They have before though, I had to go to blancherdstown to sign up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Is there anyway I could still register for this race? Was looking forward to it but I forgot all about the deadline :(

Give 'em a call. I mentioned in an earlier post that a friend of mine got into the fingal 10k the week before the race.

Advertisement