Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10mile August 25th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Any idea what the wave times will be for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Are there any pacers in this race ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Skidrow wrote: »
    Are there any pacers in this race ?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Did the numbers for this and the half marathon come with the 5 mile number. I have a vague memory that they did but I can't remember. If not, then I have not received it and if they did I can't find my race number

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

milosh wrote: »
    Did the numbers for this and the half marathon come with the 5 mile number. I have a vague memory that they did but I can't remember. If not, then I have not received it and if they did I can't find my race number

my 5mile and 10k numbers came separately, not got my 10miler yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Duzzie wrote: »
    my 5mile and 10k numbers came separately, not got my 10miler yet.

Thanks. I won't bother tearing the house apart then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just got a mail from race series that answers your question:

"Please note 10mile and Half Marathon numbers were posted out
    on Tuesday 14th.
    Make sure you wear the correct number for each race, Purple
    for 10mile and Blue for Half Marathon...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Mine came this morning. There is a white sticker with my number on it as well as the one with the chip. Is this for the back? I did the race series last year and didn't get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jet Black wrote: »
    Mine came this morning. There is a white sticker with my number on it as well as the one with the chip. Is this for the back? I did the race series last year and didn't get this.

Probably for your bag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I had a look at the letter again and it says that. I should have read it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Jet Black wrote: »
    I had a look at the letter again and it says that. I should have read it properly.
    Saw a fair few at the Fingal 10 km with theirs stuck to their back. Seemed a bit strange, maybe it was to let you know who has just passed you out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

My number arrived this morning. Looking forward to it now although the Phoenix park always kicks the crap out of me when I race there.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

TRR wrote: »
    My number arrived this morning. Looking forward to it now although the Phoenix park always kicks the crap out of me when I race there.

I seem to recall you kicking the crap out of me in this race last year:mad: Ill see you there. Hopefully I can get closer to you this time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Can someone offer me advise on where to stay. I am coming up from Cork the night before and need somewhere I can park the car and then get to the race easy in the morning. I was going to stay in the Red Cow and get the luas in ? but does anyone know a hotel that if I rang them I could get parking up until say 2pm on the sat and maybe late checkout or use their pool etc so I could go for a shower before the drive home ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tiptopdel

Ran the 10 mile course yesterday, its not that bad at all.

One question though is that the course on the website when u view it through computer has got the part of the run up to castleknock gate and back whereas if u view it from iphone it hasnt got it?
    Also, the computer hasnt got the the little inlet on north road marked as the route whereas on the iphone it does?
    I presume the computer link is the course but be nice to know if anyone does?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

rom wrote: »
    Can someone offer me advise on where to stay. I am coming up from Cork the night before and need somewhere I can park the car and then get to the race easy in the morning. I was going to stay in the Red Cow and get the luas in ? but does anyone know a hotel that if I rang them I could get parking up until say 2pm on the sat and maybe late checkout or use their pool etc so I could go for a shower before the drive home ? Thanks

Recommend you check the Aisling hotel - short walk from park, secure parking, lovely place to stay. Stayed there for the Aware 10k last year and had late check out and got to have shower and food before leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Tiptopdel wrote: »
    Ran the 10 mile course yesterday, its not that bad at all.

One question though is that the course on the website when u view it through computer has got the part of the run up to castleknock gate and back whereas if u view it from iphone it hasnt got it?
    Also, the computer hasnt got the the little inlet on north road marked as the route whereas on the iphone it does?
    I presume the computer link is the course but be nice to know if anyone does?

what is the gradient like? first or second 5 mile tougher/hillier? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

endswell wrote: »

This is not my map but I assume it's right.

There's an elevation profile at the bottom.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/105944251

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Recommend you check the Aisling hotel - short walk from park, secure parking, lovely place to stay. Stayed there for the Aware 10k last year and had late check out and got to have shower and food before leaving.

I stayed there a few years ago and it was not nice. Room was like an ashtray. When I opened the curtains you could see the dust. The room was filthy. Thanks though. You do need secure parking on that road too.

I stayed there a few years ago and it was not nice. Room was like an ashtray. When I opened the curtains you could see the dust. The room was filthy. Thanks though. You do need secure parking on that road too.

Really? That's directly opposite to our experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Tiptopdel

endswell wrote: »

I always find the drag up North Road the worst part of running in the park when training so I would say the first 5 miles is.
    Upper Glen is a drag and especially at that stage of the race but the mindset should that ur 4/5 of the way there once u hit there and nothing is gonna stop you!!

1st mile; Either flat or downhill - very easy start which is good.
    2 & 3 mile; Drag of a road with an incline but its early in race and it gets ur legs working which is good thing for the 2nd half of race.
    4th mile is flat enough and refeshing on the legs than the drag of north rd. The run up to castlknock gate can be hard sometimes as you see other runners coming down but is easy enough.
    Mile 5 - 6.3, all flat/downhill although chesterfield Ave can drag on. But I would be stretching the legs out here and getting some life into them for the 2nd last 4 miles.
    Mile 6.5 - 7.8; Up and down, the military road incline is tough but again kinda wakes up the legs to running uphill ahead of Upper Glen Incline.
    7.8 - 9, start of this is the hardest incline of the course and test the legs but see above for tackling this.
    9 - 10, on the home straight, let ur legs go and get in the best time possible, all flat or downhill so open up and enjoy the feeling of crossing the line knowing u have given it everything u have!!!!

This is the way I see the course but others may see it different, hope it helps some get through it.
    Keep something in the tank for the military road incline and the upper glen but when they are done, let it all go!!!

yeah it was a good few years back. the place used to be a kip then but looks like they sorted it out. Will let you know how i get on. I booked it. 120 euro for a twin with breakfast, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

yeah it was a good few years back. the place used to be a kip then but looks like they sorted it out. Will let you know how i get on. I booked it. 120 euro for a twin with breakfast, happy days.

It got a major job done on it in last few years. Nice hotel now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Guys was there parking on Chesterfield avenue for this last year, Im guessing there wont be as its part of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone know of the wave times for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Probably same as last year

Wave 1 – Runners who wish to run sub 85 minutes
    Wave 2 – Runners who wish to run between 85 and 105 mins
    Wave 3 – Runners who wish to run 105 minutes plus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am playing of doing it under 85. Would I be better back of 1st wave or start or 2.

Back of 1 might give me more room instead of the sprint off the line for 2

Trampas wrote: »
    I am playing of doing it under 85. Would I be better back of 1st wave or start or 2.

Thinking along the same lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Trampas wrote: »

Depends how far under 85 you are looking to do? If you are aiming for anything under 80 minutes you would be better standing anywhere near the middle of the first wave. If 85 is your target you would be better off starting at the beginning of the 2nd wave than the back off the first, you will get a better run at it. You don't need to stand right at the front of 2nd wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

RayCun wrote: »
    Probably same as last year

Wave 1 – Runners who wish to run sub 85 minutes
    Wave 2 – Runners who wish to run between 85 and 105 mins
    Wave 3 – Runners who wish to run 105 minutes plus

I wish to run sub 85, however reality bites and I will run 85 to 105 - wave 2 for me:)

Advertisement