Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10mile August 25th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Lostnfound wrote: »
    I wish to run sub 85, however reality bites and I will run 85 to 105 - wave 2 for me:)

If you are at the front of wave two then defo best IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

pconn062 wrote: »
    Depends how far under 85 you are looking to do? If you are aiming for anything under 80 minutes you would be better standing anywhere near the middle of the first wave. If 85 is your target you would be better off starting at the beginning of the 2nd wave than the back off the first, you will get a better run at it. You don't need to stand right at the front of 2nd wave.

I don't think I will break 80. McMillan says under 83 mins.

I say I will see where I can slip in on wave 2. If I can't get close to front I will skip to back of 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Trampas wrote: »
    I don't think I will break 80. McMillan says under 83 mins.

I say I will see where I can slip in on wave 2. If I can't get close to front I will skip to back of 1.

Just remember the last 3-4 miles are tough on this course.

Just remember the last 3-4 miles are tough on this course.

Been up and down the hills many of times.

Weather for sat isn't to bad. If wind can drop it would be nice for this time of the year

Saturday will be cool, breezy and mostly cloudy too, with further showers or longer periods of rain at times. A few bright or sunny spells - best along western coasts. Highs of 14 to 18 C., are expected in fresh and gusty northeast to northerly winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Does anyone have the new route for this race mapped on mapmyrun that i could copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

syngindub wrote: »
    Does anyone have the new route for this race mapped on mapmyrun that i could copy?

I posted it up just a few posts back there. Not my map but did a search on MapMyRun for it and someone had put one up for the 2012 course.

I posted it up just a few posts back there. Not my map but did a search on MapMyRun for it and someone had put one up for the 2012 course.

had a look at this map you posted back a page or 2 within mapmyrun application. seems to show up as 14 mile and the route is different from whats coming up. take a look, i just want a second opinion before i draw out the map for this years race !!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

had a look at this map you posted back a page or 2 within mapmyrun application. seems to show up as 14 mile and the route is different from whats coming up. take a look, i just want a second opinion before i draw out the map for this years race !!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204232360

SnailsPace wrote: »

Thats not correct. check the pdf : http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php
    i know i'm going to get told off to go and do it myself :).. too lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Thats not correct. check the pdf : http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php
    i know i'm going to get told off to go and do it myself :).. too lazy

Yea, it does seem a bit off. It says that it is 10 miles but when you go to edit, it comes up as 14. Strange. I made up one myself. Judging from this map, it would look like the mile 7 in the race is a little long. Maybe they take a different route than I've mapped out. Just judging by the pdf, it looks a bit longer than the other miles too. Now I'm going to be really paranoid on mile 7 come Saturday. Here#s the MapMyRun I created anyhow.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/127413809

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

There's not much info online on how to get to the park for the 10 mile run on Saturday - I presume there will be road closures. Would anyone have any info/experience on parking, or even locking up a bike?

There's not much info online on how to get to the park for the 10 mile run on Saturday - I presume there will be road closures. Would anyone have any info/experience on parking, or even locking up a bike?
    Some people saying get the Luas from the red cow ? bear in mind parking will be at a premium with tall ships festival etc on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

one of my favorite races of the year, if not my fav.

would love to finish within the 85 mins this year for the first time, McMillan suggests i wont though, and given my last few runs i doubt i would make it too. but the plus side is im down from my first ever 10 mile taking 114 mins 2 years back, to 93 mins last year, and finishing 2 5 mile runs in 40 mins ish this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I parked in heuston station for the 5 mile, it was reasonable and used the distance to the start for a warm up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You can lock a bike anywhere - plenty of trees and railings. I normally get parking up at the castleknock side of things as i arrive about an hour before to soak up the pre race buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I didn't do the race series last year but chesterfield avenue was always open in previous years for parking even when it was part of the course - has this changed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I threw away the letter by accident - anyone know what time it starts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

10am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

has everyone got their numbers ? I haven't got mine yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

has everyone got their numbers ? I haven't got mine yet...

Pretty sure they were sent last week and the week before that. I've to pick mine up at their helpdesk on Sat.

Best to email or ring the support team per the website.

• Advertisement

I got it last week with my HM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Profile of the course for anyone interested:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/213781001

Wind was in the face running up the North Road & Military Road and current forecast says the same for Sat, it wasn't so bad all the same.
    Upper Glen Road is a bit more sheltered, the main avenue will be handy, downhill with a wind behind.

Also forecast wet for Saturday at this stage, should thin out the numbers a bit.

How would this course compare to the munster 10 milers like ballycotton,mallow, dungarvan ? I presume it is slower than mallow and ballycotton but faster than dungarvan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

rom wrote: »
    How would this course compare to the munster 10 milers like ballycotton,mallow, dungarvan ? I presume it is slower than mallow and ballycotton but faster than dungarvan ?

I've run Ballycotton and Craughwell this year and having done the Frank Duffy most years (I think this is the 2010 course) I feel it is a tougher course than those, but still enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Did a recce on the course today........

Mile 0-1 = downhill drag

1-2 = turn left by zoo and its a moderate drag up. Hit the north road and its deceptive in that it looks flat enough but its uphill, definitely gotta work hard to hold pace here.

2-3 Ditto

3-4 back onto chesterfield and heading up to castleknock gate. Again working against an uphill drag.

4-6 Do U-turn at castleknock gate and its a ripping 2 miles down chesterfield. Gotta hammer these miles and make up time that will be lost on the hill that are to come

At 6.7 miles you hit military hill and you're basically climbing until you hit ordanence survey road, which is at mile 9.

9-10 is flat enough but when you turn onto furze road the finish is a fair bit up which is an added bit of pain for the legs to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

tunguska wrote: »

Jeez, sounds like it's going to be a toughie, if you got a strong wind mixed in with those hills it could make for a difficult day at the office. I'll be looking to find a nice group to sit in with and share the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

First time doing one of the race series races. Can anyone advise on the following:

Are there shuttle buses running from Luas at Heuston to the start? There's mention of them in the half marathon thread.
    Is the bag drop safe in people's experience? You just use the sticker from the envelope on the bag, correct?

Sorry if the questions are answered elsewhere - dublinmarathon.ie isn't loading on my laptop for some reason, and I can't find the letter that accompanied race number.

Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

oheilis wrote: »
    First time doing one of the race series races. Can anyone advise on the following:

Are there shuttle buses running from Luas at Heuston to the start? There's mention of them in the half marathon thread.
    Is the bag drop safe in people's experience? You just use the sticker from the envelope on the bag, correct?

Sorry if the questions are answered elsewhere - dublinmarathon.ie isn't loading on my laptop for some reason, and I didn't get the race entry letter, as I'm using an injured friend's entry (just got the bib number and the sticker)

Tks.

Yeah looks like Dublinmarathon.ie website is down. To answer your question yes as far as I remember there is shuttle bus from parkgate st up to park with short walk to start from drop off. Last one leaves at 9.30am.I've always left valuables(despite advice not to do so by organisers which is understandable) etc in my bag at drop off and never had any problem. Sometimes they have Scouts looking after them. So I would say they are completely safe in my opinion.

Yes use the sticker for your bag so that they can match it with your bib number on collection.

Enjoy!

n order that to ensure the safety of participants in the Frank Duffy 10 Mile Road Race on Saturday August 25th the following restrictions will apply in the Phoenix Park on the day and for the periods mentioned:

Gates to be closed:
    Chapelizod Gate 10.00 am - 12.30 pm (Emergency only)

Knockmaroon Gate 9.30 am - 11.30 am

Islandbridge Gate 10.00 am - 11.30 am

Castleknock Gate 9.30 am - 12.15 pm

Ashtown Gate 9.30 am - 12.15 pm

Cabra Gate Exit only from 9.45 am - 12.30 pm

Roads to be closed:
    Upper Glen Road 9.45 am - 12.30 pm

Ordnance Survey Road 9.45 am - 1.00 pm

Mountjoy to Phoenix (Main Road) 9.45 am - 12.00 pm

Phoenix to Gough (Main Road) 9.45 am - 12.00 pm

Back Road (Odd Lamp to Mountjoy) 9.45 am - 12.00 pm

Acres Road 7.00 am - 2.00 pm

Wellington Road 10.00 am - 11.30 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

tunguska wrote: »

Mile 0-1 = downhill drag

1-2 = turn left by zoo and its a moderate drag up. Hit the north road and its deceptive in that it looks flat enough but its uphill, definitely gotta work hard to hold pace here.

2-3 Ditto

3-4 back onto chesterfield and heading up to castleknock gate. Again working against an uphill drag.

4-6 Do U-turn at castleknock gate and its a ripping 2 miles down chesterfield. Gotta hammer these miles and make up time that will be lost on the hill that are to come

At 6.7 miles you hit military hill and you're basically climbing until you hit ordanence survey road, which is at mile 9.

9-10 is flat enough but when you turn onto furze road the finish is a fair bit up which is an added bit of pain for the legs to take.

I don't think we turn right up to Castleknock gate for a U-turn. Do we not just turn left and straight down Chesterfield Avenue

Advertisement