Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10mile August 25th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

TRR wrote: »
    +1 slowest mile by 30 seconds. Head and body were gone. Interested to see if others lost time on this mile.

Indeed,i wonder were the markers out??
    My awful splits :

747---40'00"
    832>>>>>>>>>>:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

statss wrote: »
    hawkwing wrote: »
    I found the 9th mile toughest but was ok on 6/7/8,lack of training perhaps and guts too i suppose..

I was delighted / relieved when I hit the 9mile mark, so I was nice and relaxed for the final mile, even got a sprint on for the end

Found mile 8-9 toughest. Got a time of 75:56 so a pb of 2 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Miles 9 was a tough one alright! Also my longest.
    Really pushed myself today (although that was not the plan!) and managed to best my previous time by about 6 or 7 minutes for a new PB of ~86minutes. Very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Anybody know how I can find out the name of one of the volunteers / stewards that was in the park this morning if I have a good description of him? - I also have his car make, colour and year... Not much else though

Unfortunately I'll have to make an official complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

beat my pb by 5 mins, cannot believe it, came in 1:23 , everything clicked in perfectly, well done everyone

• Advertisement

I found the 9th mile toughest but was ok on 6/7/8,lack of training perhaps and guts too i suppose..

I was delighted / relieved when I hit the 9mile mark, so I was nice and relaxed for the final mile, even got a sprint on for the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Joe Mcallister? Sub 57 for me today so hit goal time but was tough going. Tougher than I would have liked.

Don't know the name but he said that he was running for a college over in America if that helps.

My splits were
    7:28:12
    7:33:15
    7:39:65
    7:28:09
    7:27:81
    7:23:10
    7:35:37
    7:40:89
    8:06:34
    7:28:07

Results are up. Do those bloody Scots not have any 10 mile races over there that they can dominate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Results are up. Do those bloody Scots not have any 10 mile races over there that they can dominate.

Do you have a link showing results? When you search the timing company it brings up zero results. Or are they being held for the Indo on Monday?

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Do you have a link showing results? When you search the timing company it brings up zero results. Or are they being held for the Indo on Monday?

http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Anybody know how I can find out the name of one of the volunteers / stewards that was in the park this morning if I have a good description of him? - I also have his car make, colour and year... Not much else though

The BHAA organised the stewards/Marshalls for this mornings race, they are all volunteers and should be in tune with the runners, normally complaints arise from drivers unhappy they can't drive straight through the race route. You could contact the BHAA through their website.

The winner's chip time is seven seconds off his finish time. Where did he start?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

1.14.30 for me, knocked 7 mins off last years time so delighted with that.

Head completley went at abount mile 7 1/2 and struggled to 9 1/2 before feeling ok again for last half mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

digger2d2 wrote: »

The BHAA organised the stewards/Marshalls for this mornings race, they are all volunteers and should be in tune with the runners, normally complaints arise from drivers unhappy they can't drive straight through the race route. You could contact the BHAA through their website.

Thanks. I was taking part in the race though, not trying to drive through. This happened about 45 mins beforehand. He had a serious attitude problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

78:19, PB by 6 mins in a race, happy out.

Splits similar to most, with a dodgy 9th mile...

1 7:24.9 1.00 7:25
    2 7:45.9 1.00 7:46
    3 7:59.8 1.00 8:00
    4 7:47.9 1.00 7:48
    5 7:38.1 1.00 7:38
    6 7:28.6 1.00 7:29
    7 7:54.1 1.00 7:54
    8 7:46.7 1.00 7:47
    9 8:31.9 1.00 8:32
    10 7:48.5 1.00 7:49
    11 :13.9 0.04 6:11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Happy with my time.

Only 2 small things. Footpaths were awkward at times and the 2nd water station was shorter than I thought.

Nothing to do with the organisation but thanks to the fker who nearly put my wife on the ground as he shoved her as she ran down the final straight. He had loads of room to pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I have to say I had a decent race - came in around 1 hour 47 (I'm a novice runner!) - a fraction outside my goal time but happy enough for my first ever official 10 mile.

I just about made it to the start - cut it way too fine trying to source parking and get down to the start - which seemed an eternity away from the castleknock gate ! Also made a schoolboy error and forgot to apply vaseline - more on that later !

This was my fourth race and I think this was the first time I got my wave positioning right. Even when going in the correct wave going too far to the front of that wave will cause you hassle. Today I started about 2/3rds of the way back in wave 3 and it really stood to me. I went off at the correct pace (didn't get pushed along at a higher than sustainable pace because everyone around me was like I did at the DLR 10k) and didn't spend my entire race dropping back down the field which can be disheartening.

The downhill start helped and I didn't find the climb back up to be that bad for mile. As we turned at the roundabout to climb back up to castleknock gate there were plenty of people longingly looking at those running back down chesterfield avenue and debating a quick step between the cars to cut off a bit of distance. Saw one sneaky fecker actually do it too ! (the phrase only fooling himself comes to mind)

Anyway get up to Castleknock gate and start back down the avenue. I had been saying to myself that I could pick up some time on the downhill but truthfully I was doing well to keep my pace up so settled for this and kept going. Went through the roundabout and I spotted a police bike coming up from the right. I was wondering was I about to see the winner rushing past us whilst we still hadn't got half way. Yep sure enough wheelchair athlete comes speeding by followed by Usain Bolt disguised as a white man sprinting down the path. Gave them both a round of applause but doubt they heard me :)

Kept going and at this stage I was starting to feel it, nevermind speeding up on the downhill I was beginning to struggle to stay running. Done a deal with myself that I would take a small walk break at the end of the downhill. I wasn't looking forward to the hills on the way back as I was feeling tired and sore but again the joy of being in the right wave came to play because there were plenty of people around me in the same boat. I had a great strategy for the first hill up from the kyber - don't look at the top, look at the runners of the person in front of me and follow them. Great idea until those runners stopped for a walk ! latched onto a second pair who also stopped - at that stage the runners in front of me were on the end of a rather attractive pair of legs and truth be known I felt like a pervert so stopped for a walk myself. :D

Water station was a God send at the top of this hill as I wasn't expecting it until later (thought it was in same place as the 5 miler) BIG thank you to all the volunteers manning the stations and the marshalls etc. Bit off respite before the next hill up towards ordnance survey. At that stage everyone (well most !) were struggling and pace and positioning was all over the place as people slowed, stopped, walked, ran a bit faster but in general the same faces were around and it was nice to be in a group as such.

Had a nice surprise at the right hand turn back to chesterfield avenue. My little one was there waiting for me and her excitement and exuberance gave me a bit of a lift and speed boost (which lasted until I was sure she couldn't see me anymore at which point I came close to throwing up :pac:)

At the end of the path there was the right hand turn onto Furze road and into the finishing straight. I have a constructive criticism to make about this. It's not a good idea to have the likes of the chip timing, baggage collections etc out on the course itself. The road was partially blocked by other finishers collecting their items and hanging around and I ended up kind of zig zagging around the gaps until I got to the barriered off section. It reminded me of the tops of the mountain stages of the tour de france. At one point there was room for about 3 people wide and no more to get through. Most were cheering those who were still running and it was a great motivation to dig in for the finish line but it was a little frustrating / intimidating to run through the crowd hanging around. (In fact by the time I was coming back after collecting my bag etc and the tail end of the race was coming too in dribs and drabs it was worse and I saw one runner come to a stop trying to navigate through the crowd. It wasn't fair for the slower runners and the slower you were the unfairer it got.

It's only a minor grumble though - it by no means ruined the day. The schoolboy error of no vaseline on the nipples won't be made again !! My little one was quite concerned when she saw "daddy had cut himself" - I knew they were sore but hadn't realised they were bleeding. Lesson learned.

In summary I had a great run and am very happy with my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

1:29:53 for me.

first 10 mile race so i guess thats a PB :D

Had a nice surprise at the right hand turn back to chesterfield avenue. My little one was there waiting for me and her excitement and exuberance gave me a bit of a lift and speed boost (which lasted until I was sure she couldn't see me anymore at which point I came close to throwing up :pac:)

Love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

+1 slowest mile by 30 seconds. Head and body were gone. Interested to see if others lost time on this mile.

my best split was 10 - was conservative the whole race due to injury but my hip seemed less sore the faster I went so opened up for the last. probably would have got a pb if not for the conservative running.

great day, weather perfect and for once everyone seemed to obey the wave starting positions by and large :) usual course no surprises

consistent enough bar mile 10 had a good bit more in the tank but wasted it :o

07:23.7
    07:14.1
    07:23.1
    07:24.3
    07:22.4
    07:13.9
    07:37.5 (hills!)
    07:19.2
    07:26.2
    06:23.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Enjoyed this one, found the going comfortably hard. My splits were pretty even with mile nine the slowest and mile ten the fastest. First time running a 10 mile race so happy with my new 'PB' of 73:38. HR at 92% so don't think I'd much more in the tank. Good test 5 weeks out from Berlin, might sneak a PB of 3:29:59 yet, after struggling with training for the last few weeks.
    Love running in the park but couldn't believe how mucky it was, nearly lost a runner in mud passing somebody on the final stretch of footpath off chesterfield Ave! Sign of our great summer I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

At the end of the path there was the right hand turn onto Furze road and into the finishing straight. I have a constructive criticism to make about this. It's not a good idea to have the likes of the chip timing, baggage collections etc out on the course itself. The road was partially blocked by other finishers collecting their items and hanging around and I ended up kind of zig zagging around the gaps until I got to the barriered off section. It reminded me of the tops of the mountain stages of the tour de france. At one point there was room for about 3 people wide and no more to get through. Most were cheering those who were still running and it was a great motivation to dig in for the finish line but it was a little frustrating / intimidating to run through the crowd hanging around. (In fact by the time I was coming back after collecting my bag etc and the tail end of the race was coming too in dribs and drabs it was worse and I saw one runner come to a stop trying to navigate through the crowd. It wasn't fair for the slower runners and the slower you were the unfairer it got.

Agree with this comment. I couldn't believe how many people who had already finished were standing around while there were still runners on the course. I felt sorry for those who were still running while also having to navigate all the people standing around. I thought there should have been a steward or 2 (with a megaphone) to move people away from this area.

Seen one chap ahead of me running bare feet holding his runners. that was only a mile in..poor fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Personally this was a good day for me. Was going into the run a bit nervous about Hip injury I've been trying to shake. Was intentionally going to try take this one easy and just enjoy it with half marathon coming up next weekend.

Was comfortable all the way to mile 7 , not over-doing it. Looking at my time I sensed I could do a PB here without going too mad and just keep the pace up. Big difference for me this year compared to last was how well I was able to cope with the hills on 7-9. Last year I would have been struggling but this year I was able to push on and increase the tempo a bit. It was just too much of a temptation to go for PB despite promising myself I'd take it easy and not risk making injury worse.

In the end Hip held up ok but was a bit sore at end so hopefully some RICE will just sort that out. So having genuinely taken it easier and not raced it hard I still managed a PB by 4 minutes. This is a good sign of how much progress I've made in last year. Finished in 88 mins.

Totally agree owith other posters.Bag collection area should have been positioned away from finishing straight .Really unfair on the runners toward end of field.In fairness the runners who had already finished should know better and stay out of the way too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

63:02.

I was hoping for 61 or 62. Disappointed. Should have rested more in the preceeding days I guess.

Still, onward and upward. Can't PB every race!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I did. I was cruising for a nice sub 80 finish until that mile. Had to drag myself over the last mile to a 80:15 finish. Gutted! Still a pb, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Agree with all the posts re the baggage collection area. It was very unfair on the slower runners that everyone was encroaching on the home straight. I thought the runners themselves should have had more consideration but also it should never have been placed there.

The only reason i can think of is that it was so mucky around the park that they couldn't have it in the usual spot. Definitely something that should be brought to the organiser's attention before the half.

Really enjoyed the run. Thought it was an easier route than last year.

PB 1.18.56 for me so delighted with that.

Well done to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

yeah the runners being hampered at the end was bad form allright, doing a 10 mile race no matter what the time is brilliant, every finisher not just the fast ones deserve kudos and respect.
    To the light hair coloured guy with a baby and buggy who I saw on the route about mile 7 and just before the home stretch, you really helped me and the people around me fair play! Your positive words were exactly what was needed.
    Also I was a bit annoyed at the people in the boot camp trailer who were shouting to everyone that they were at the 5 mile marker when the 5 mile marker was another half mile down the road, bad form, a lot of people were pissed around me too when we hit 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

To the light hair coloured guy with a baby and buggy who I saw on the route about mile 7 and just before the home stretch, you really helped me and the people around me fair play! Your positive words were exactly what was needed.

That was me and my daughter. Enjoyed cheering instead of racing this time (mrs tbb`s turn to race today). Well done to yourself and all who finished.

Advertisement