Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10mile August 25th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Done my first ever race today 1hr30mins17secs. Had fun learnt a lot about myself that I can bring into the half marathon and then the full in October. Felt bad for the people battling there way through the people to get to the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

My splits were
    7:28:12
    7:33:15
    7:39:65
    7:28:09
    7:27:81
    7:23:10
    7:35:37
    7:40:89
    8:06:34
    7:28:07
    Excellent splits there bud, you are now to be known as above_avearge_runner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

RedRunner wrote: »
    Personally this was a good day for me. Was going into the run a bit nervous about Hip injury I've been trying to shake. Was intentionally going to try take this one easy and just enjoy it with half marathon coming up next weekend.

Was comfortable all the way to mile 7 , not over-doing it. Looking at my time I sensed I could do a PB here without going too mad and just keep the pace up. Big difference for me this year compared to last was how well I was able to cope with the hills on 7-9. Last year I would have been struggling but this year I was able to push on and increase the tempo a bit. It was just too much of a temptation to go for PB despite promising myself I'd take it easy and not risk making injury worse.

In the end Hip held up ok but was a bit sore at end so hopefully some RICE will just sort that out. So having genuinely taken it easier and not raced it hard I still managed a PB by 4 minutes. This is a good sign of how much progress I've made in last year. Finished in 88 mins.

Totally agree owith other posters.Bag collection area should have been positioned away from finishing straight .Really unfair on the runners toward end of field.In fairness the runners who had already finished should know better and stay out of the way too!
    Well done RedR! When you get the pacing right in these long races it is amazing what you can achieve.
    Agree with comments on finishing straight, I think this area was better managed in previous race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Also I was a bit annoyed at the people in the boot camp trailer who were shouting to everyone that they were at the 5 mile marker when the 5 mile marker was another half mile down the road, bad form, a lot of people were pissed around me too when we hit 5.

Yes, what was that about? Tossers.

Agree with the comments about the finish, so many people milling about, not to mention an effing truck (Elvery's?) at one side of the finishing straight, on the course. Yes, those who had completed the race really should have had more respect than crowding the finish.

theboyblunder, noticed you too. Fair play to you, and the others along the way who took the time to shout some encouragement. Marshals too were great, discrete and consistently encouraging.

It was a wonderful race, my first at this distance, delighted with my time, position and age-group position (this is always of interest to aul lads like myself). Probably could have gone a bit harder as didn't have an issue with the hills on the Kyber/Military Rd. But lessons learned and it's all good experience for the Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Did it in 76 mins so was happy with that as it was my first 10 mile race. Like many felt really strong until mile 9 at which point the legs went, disappointing but its all a learning experience for me.
    I have to say I felt so bad for the runners coming in a bit later with people just walking out in front of them. Its a fair point to say those finished should have known better but you're not thinking about the course once finished, you're looking for your mates or getting your bag, should have been stewards there to keep people off. All in all a top morning, well organised and a great atmosphere so well done to all who ran and organised!
    Although I did wanna brain those lads in the truck who were shouting half way at the 4.5 mile mark, I know they meant well and its kinda funny looking at it now but I was gutted when I actually passed the 5 mile marker!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

It was my 1st 10 mile race so it was a PB, The plan 8 weeks ago was sub 78, but I have been hampered lately with hip, groin problems and my general fitness has taken a dip, I was going well up to 6 miles then turned on to military rd and the hip a groin started to act up, shocked to see my 9th mile was just over 9 minutes :(

Finished in 83 40

Big thank to all the stewards, especially all my club mates from Civil Service Harriers who were out in force on every corner.

The official race starter today was one of my club coaches John Byrne, well done John..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Its a fair point to say those finished should have known better but you're not thinking about the course once finished, you're looking for your mates or getting your bag, should have been stewards there to keep people off.

To be honest I can kind of understand getting caught up in the moment and forgetting where you are but after a few moments it has to be painfully obvious that there are runners trying to navigate around you and you are in the middle of the road that people are still racing on. The truth is there was a lot of ignorant people there who simply didn't care about anyone else once their race was done. I'm sure from an organisers point of view you're not expecting that behaviour but hopefully it's a lesson learned and the same won't be the case for the half in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Anyone have an idea was the 9th (second last mile) long,it should not have been the slowest on the course but everyone seems to have lost nearly 20-30 seconds there:confused: I thought i did the last mile at a similar pace as i had lost heart and didn't have the legs for a dash at the end but it was 40secs faster..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Its a fair point to say those finished should have known better but you're not thinking about the course once finished, you're looking for your mates or getting your bag, should have been stewards there to keep people off.

The truth is there was a lot of ignorant people there who simply didn't care about anyone else once their race was done. I'm sure from an organisers point of view you're not expecting that behaviour but hopefully it's a lesson learned and the same won't be the case for the half in a few weeks.

Yeah I agree with you on that, once I copped I was straight off the road but some people were well aware and kept on going. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Its a fair point to say those finished should have known better but you're not thinking about the course once finished, you're looking for your mates or getting your bag, should have been stewards there to keep people off. All in all a top morning, well organised and a great atmosphere so well done to all who ran and organised!

Agree about the finishing straight, and as the poster above says a reminder or two would have been helpful - in the post-race haze we can all be a bit unaware of our surroundings. I wasn't actually standing in the road, but I was standing by the Elvery's truck, chatting, re-arranging my stuff etc, and then I realised I was standing alongside the finishing straight rudely ignoring the finishers, so i started cheering, but definitely for a few minutes I kind of forgot where I was and probably looked a bit rude.

I enjoyed it. It was my first 10 mile, and I feel I could have pushed a bit harder (80.29), I think I was being too respectful of the hills and saved too much, and then they were fine, so I wish I'd pushed on a bit and not tried to conserve energy. Anyway, I'll know again, and it was fun, nice scenery etc. i always love running in the park. Well done everyone who ran!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

enjoyed the race, missed the hour mark, needed to run a 5 min mile to break it but though it was my fastest i clocked a 6 min mile, strangely enough. there was a similar prob in swords where the last k was only 800m or so. maybe the late change to the turn at castleknock (wasnt there?) affected this?

barriers should have been put up all the way til the last turn to stop runners being encroached on.

pathways for those in middle of race was also bad org, very hard for those running hard for last mile and a half.

all else great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

hawkwing wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea was the 9th (second last mile) long,it should not have been the slowest on the course but everyone seems to have lost nearly 20-30 seconds there:confused: I thought i did the last mile at a similar pace as i had lost heart and didn't have the legs for a dash at the end but it was 40secs faster..

Some of people who posted their splits, it would be the splits from their GPS watch and nothingto do with the mile markers on the course.

My km spilts from my Garmin show that mile 9 was my slowest mile also.

km1 5.12 km9 5.17
    km2 5.18 km10 5.15
    km3 5.16 km11 5.25
    km4 5.12 km12 5.17
    km5 5.28 km13 5.23
    km6 5.10 km14 5.44
    km7 5.09 km15 5.28
    km8 5.07 km16 5.11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

huskerdu wrote: »
    Some of people who posted their splits, it would be the splits from their GPS watch and nothingto do with the mile markers on the course.

My km spilts from my Garmin show that mile 9 was my slowest mile also.

km1 5.12 km9 5.17
    km2 5.18 km10 5.15
    km3 5.16 km11 5.25
    km4 5.12 km12 5.17
    km5 5.28 km13 5.23
    km6 5.10 km14 5.44
    km7 5.09 km15 5.28
    km8 5.07 km16 5.11
    Cheers,mine were from my watch,doesn't matter much but i'd say the 9m marker was maybe a bit in the wrong position or the 8 perhaps,worse things happen in life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

My 9 mike split is based on gps but tallied well with course. Markers were spot on as far as I could see. That 9th mile was just a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

That was me and my daughter. Enjoyed cheering instead of racing this time (mrs tbb`s turn to race today). Well done to yourself and all who finished.

Unfortunately I'm out with injury and couldn't race today but Mr Stew was racing and he told me that not only were you amazing but your daughter was even more amazing in her cheering abilities for someone so young:):)
    Well done, I hope Mrs tbb did well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

First ever race today, found it really tough but enjoyed the experience

Hadn't done as much training as I would ahve liked, missed most of the lst 4 weeks for various reasons so really struggled from around 7.5 miles onwards

Finished in 1:58:26 which is pretty slow but just happy to have finished

A big thanks to everyone who cheered and gave encouragement, especially those who had finished early, it really helped

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

delighted with my finishing time(71),knocked almost 2mins off my p.b..taught the course was fair.. agree that running on the footpath was congested,esp when running up towards c.knock gate..big thanks to all that helped out :)

Does anyone know what time the Air Corps lads finished it in and if they crossed the line together ?

I overtook them early on and the formation running was very slick.

I hear from a friend that they were still together at the hill at 11km and on target for about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Does anyone know what time the Air Corps lads finished it in and if they crossed the line together ?

I hear from a friend that they were still together at the hill at 11km and on target for about 90 minutes.

They definitely finished together in formation, at a guess somewhere around 80-85 mins or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I was beside them at the start line. They crossed the finish line about 10 mins after me. I finished in 77 mins so I'd say they well got under 90.

Still in formation from what I could see. They were all slowly clapping in formation too - not sure if that was a rhythm thing or just clapping cos they were finishing!!

Saw them at the Fingal 10k as well - apparantly they did that in formation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Absolutely shocking amount of empty gel wrappers strewn along Chesterfield avenue this evening. Why do people think it's ok to dump these just anywhere during a race? Whatever about throwing them down at or just after a water station where they can be picked up easily when they're cleaning up (we all throw bottles and cups down) but Chesterfield is absolutely littered, and not just along the footpath there's wrappers in along the trees which are a good 2 metres away from the footpath. :confused:

Few empty bottles as well but gel wrappers are literally everywhere along the route but Chesterfield was particularly bad. This is the sort of crap that make the OPW put pressure on clubs and charities wanting to stage races there and prices those races out of the park, races which can be important fundraisers for clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Absolutely shocking amount of empty gel wrappers strewn along Chesterfield avenue this evening. Why do people think it's ok to dump these just anywhere during a race? Whatever about throwing them down at or just after a water station where they can be picked up easily when they're cleaning up (we all throw bottles and cups down) but Chesterfield is absolutely littered, and not just along the footpath there's wrappers in along the trees which are a good 2 metres away from the footpath. :confused:

Few empty bottles as well but gel wrappers are literally everywhere along the route but Chesterfield was particularly bad. This is the sort of crap that make the OPW put pressure on clubs and charities wanting to stage races there and prices those races out of the park, races which can be important fundraisers for clubs.
    I was surprise to see how many people were using gels. Ive used a few on training runs but only to get used to using them and to try them out. I wouldnt have thought they would be needed in a 10 miler. Saw a few people with 5 or 6 gels on belts, seemed a bit OTT to me. There were a lot along the footpaths on chesterfield as I walked back to the Luas, no need for it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I thought it was a good race. My first 10 mile race don it in 1:26 very happy with that. I thought the whole gel thing was strange as I had seen people taking them from the 2 mile marker. As I was walking back to the car the wrappers where everywhere.

Anyhow another run done on the long road that is DCM 2012.

Alanm wrote: »
    They definitely finished together in formation, at a guess somewhere around 80-85 mins or so.

I finished in 86 minutes and they were behind me, but I didn't see them finish

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Duzzie wrote: »

I was surprise to see how many people were using gels. Ive used a few on training runs but only to get used to using them and to try them out. I wouldnt have thought they would be needed in a 10 miler. Saw a few people with 5 or 6 gels on belts, seemed a bit OTT to me. There were a lot along the footpaths on chesterfield as I walked back to the Luas, no need for it really.

Totally agree with yas on the litter front, it was crazy! Also from another point of view but a runner nearly killed himself slipping on one in front of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

I finished in 86 minutes and they were behind me, but I didn't see them finish
    I guess it took me a bit longer to recover and get back around near the finish line than I thought!

I guess it took me a bit longer to recover and get back around near the finish line than I thought!

It sounds like they came in between me, at 86 minutes and my friend at 91 minutes. Shows how wrecked I was, that I didn't notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Did it in 83m. I did the connemarathon half this year and in my training for it, my 10 mile route was around 89m. Therefore, this was kind of a personal best!

I was really worried about it. I've had a lingering groin strain for a few weeks (my refusal to stop playing football twice a week doesn't help that) so went a few days this week without training. Must have helped because my groin feels perfect.

Won't be in the country for the 13 mile, so next race for me is October 29th :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Race went well for me - especially considering myself & Mrs Dilbert spent several hours on our feet in Marlay Park last night. (A guy came up to me at one stage and asked were we Guards. I said no and asked why - he said we didn't fit in very well...:D)

Anyway, given that I was going against widespread wisdom and racing two weekends in a row (6 days since the Clonmel half) I didn't want to set my target too high. But given that I surprised myself by maintaining 5:05/km over that distance, I said I'd surely get 5:00/km on this - therefore an 80min target time.

Taking advice from someone else on here I started at the front of Wave 2 and it was a great idea. Good bit of a buzz and had a clear road for a good while - and everyone got to spread out nicely. I felt like I was almost out front of the wave for the first couple of hundred metres but suddenly a swarm of people engulfed me! Ran first two kms in 4:30ish - far faster than planned. Pulled it back a bit but found that I was actually quite comfortable so I alternated pressing on with holding back, staying under 5min/km all the time.

Only had problems with congestion a couple of times - turning onto the path for the first time I bumped elbows with a guy beside me: nothing major. At one stage there was a group of 3 people from the same club (red vests) running across the road and it wasn't too easy get past. Around 7/8 miles, there was a guy who was zigzagging around me trying to get past people and he nearly tripped me up. Other than that it was fine.

The hills were grand too - I train in a hilly area so these were little challenge. Only ran once in the park before (GIR2011) so I was surprised not to follow the part of that route that goes down in a valley and up the other side.

Run into the finish was grand too - despite a slight fade around mile 8 I had enough left in the tank for me to press on for the last km. Finished in 1:17.15 (for 16.23km per my Garmin) - 2:45 ahead of schedule for my first time at the distance. Mrs. Dilbert finished in 1:12, 9 mins ahead of her last time on the same distance. Fruit at the finish line was great. T-shirt is nice and fitted us both well (in our respective sizes). Long walk back to the car was great for getting the legs warmed down. Successful day all round. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/214891104

Only down side for me was the condition of the portaloos. They seemed to have been the Ryanair version - no flusher, no paper, nobody going around checking condition & replenishing paper (as they did at the Edinburgh Marathon Festival in May).

Advertisement