Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10mile August 25th

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

stevieob wrote: »
    Quite literally hunderds of t-shirts, bags etc left when I finished. I tried to pick up a spare t-shirt for the wife (OK, I know I shouldn't have), but only a t-shirt mind, not a bag full of goodies, just a t-shirt, and got stopped by some mare saying there was none to spare that they needed them all. Might I ask what for?

That 'mare' was probably me, so apologies. All the voluntees were very busy for this race especially, the mud made it hard to coordinate giving out the bags and tshirts. And we just can't give out more than one tshirt per person; if one person asks, they all ask. And as mentioned before, the volunteers deserve them by the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

That 'mare' was probably me, so apologies. All the voluntees were very busy for this race especially, the mud made it hard to coordinate giving out the bags and tshirts. And we just can't give out more than one tshirt per person; if one person asks, they all ask. And as mentioned before, the volunteers deserve them by the end of the day.

thanks very much to all the volunteers helping out on the day. The race series (and most other races in the country) couldn't function without you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post up feedback I received from the race director on the issue of the congestion at the finish straight for the slower runners.

Originally the baggage tents etc were to be placed further away from the road (leaving more space in front for finished runners to congregate on) but the bad weather and soaked ground made it impossible to cut the grass. This meant the tents were placed closer to the road / race route than originally planned. There was some cones and tape placed in an attempt to keep the road clear but it wasn't enough and has been acknowledged as not being enough.

I think that's a reasonable explanation and a lesson learned if the same situation occurs again.

As I previously said there was a long empty road after the finish line they could have easily used, so not really a good enough explanation IMO.

Absolutely no apologies needed if it was you, or even if it was someone else.

Thanks for volunteering, I'm sure it is not an easy job with so many people around.

I was wondering also, how does one go about becoming a volunteer. Wouldn't mind giving something back myself as I have only started to run this year and have noticed the great support and help the volunteers give. I would like to get involved and maybe help out on some of these races in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You want to volunteer after calling a volunteer on Saturday a "mare?" And then say she doesn't need to apologise to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was wondering also, how does one go about becoming a volunteer. Wouldn't mind giving something back myself as I have only started to run this year and have noticed the great support and help the volunteers give. I would like to get involved and maybe help out on some of these races in future.

Just get in touch with the BHAA or the Dublin Marathon Office
    You leave a message here: http://bhaa.ie/article.php?story=raceseries2012
    Or Email info@bhaa.ie or raceseries@dublinmarathon.ie

I only got in touch with them last Thursday and they still needed volunteers for the 10 miler. I ams ure they need peole for the Half and Full marathon.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You want to volunteer after calling a volunteer on Saturday a "mare?" And then say she doesn't need to apologise to you?

yes, why wouldnt I?

I was in the wrong asking for something I had no right to so why should she have to apologise?

Get a grip will you and stop troublemaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

My point was, you need to apologise to her. Calling a volunteer a mare for doing her job is offside imo. It's that sort of **** that puts people off volunteering in the first place. I'm sure you'll make a great volunteer.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    My point was, you need to apologise to her. Calling a volunteer a mare for doing her job is offside imo. It's that sort of **** that puts people off volunteering in the first place. I'm sure you'll make a great volunteer.

I admitted I was in the wrong from the off. I am now willing to give something back so I don't really see your point. no more on the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Load of more photos gone up on Racepix.com

Is there somewhere else that normally have pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I admitted I was in the wrong from the off. I am now willing to give something back so I don't really see your point.

nerraw1111's point is rather obvious and clearly made. You have unfairly insulted someone and you have not apologised for it. Admitting you were in the wrong about looking for a second tshirt is rather irrelevant in light of the insult, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

the whole 2nd t-shirt topic is a very touchy subject around these parts. mental note made !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Load of more photos gone up on Racepix.com

Is there somewhere else that normally have pictures?

Just got a mail from marathon-photos.com - they have lots more photos up and they're tagged with race numbers too so you can search by number.

:mad: no dam pic? i'll have to change my starting position next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

syngindub wrote: »
    :mad: no dam pic? i'll have to change my starting position next time

Maybe its no bad thing.
    5 of me, and I look dreadful in every one of them,

managed to find a pic through flickr, just needed some evidence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

very pricey for a pic! - 20 quid for digital download...no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

statss wrote: »
    very pricey for a pic! - 20 quid for digital download...no thanks

Agreed

Surely a cheaper price would lead to more sales which would outstrip the lower sales at higher price. Would be interesting to hear from someone involved in race photography like this as to the uptake etc

Agreed

Surely a cheaper price would lead to more sales which would outstrip the lower sales at higher price. Would be interesting to hear from someone involved in race photography like this as to the uptake etc

How much would you be willing to give for proper copy of the pic?
    I think a fiver is reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Photographers also put their photos up on racepix , and you can contact them through there to buy copies. But marathonphoto pay to have a monopoly on finishing line photos at the major races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

huskerdu wrote: »
    Maybe its no bad thing.
    5 of me, and I look dreadful in every one of them,

+1 pictures of me at the finish smiling. I don't know what that is all about. I must have been delirious because on the inside I wanted to cry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Found my photo but I look like I'm being tortured. Don't think I'll buy that, doesn't look encouraging for a start of race image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Lostnfound wrote: »
    Found my photo but I look like I'm being tortured. Don't think I'll buy that, doesn't look encouraging for a start of race image.

My pics are from the end of the race, home stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Agreed

Get yourself over to the Photography forum. Lots of them hang out around there. Bear in mind they are contracted by the race photography companies and are typically paid on an hourly/commission basis, so don't get to see a fraction of the actual redeemed price of the photo. If you want to negotiate pricing, best to go directly to the company in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just curious what people would do with their photo if it was a good one. Frame it and stick it on your sitting room wall? Put in a running scrapbook?? Create a Hall of Fame(for one) in the spare room...."you see that picture that was when I did a PB in XXX"??? :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just curious what people would do with their photo if it was a good one. Frame it and stick it on your sitting room wall? Put in a running scrapbook?? Create a Hall of Fame(for one) in the spare room...."you see that picture that was when I did a PB in XXX"??? :):)

I think these days they just go straight to facebook :)
    Get yourself over to the Photography forum. Lots of them hang out around there. Bear in mind they are contracted by the race photography companies and are typically paid on an hourly/commission basis, so don't get to see a fraction of the actual redeemed price of the photo. If you want to negotiate pricing, best to go directly to the company in question.

The very odd time you get independent photographers out on the course, but its hard to find them after the race. I got a good photo of me with both feet off the ground in the newry marathon taken by a local photographer. I think it cost me €5 to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

syngindub wrote: »
    How much would you be willing to give for proper copy of the pic?
    I think a fiver is reasonable

Personally I'd pay up to a max of €10 for a large printed photo or up to €15 for a set of images supplied digitally which I could print myself. Basically marathon-photos are 2 to 3 times this price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

all of mooneys photos on flickr are free. they are the ones racepix use. read the blurb below the first photo (or maybe all) for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaisieMac

I would also like to run this race but I would like to know if it is possible to run part of it on the grass.
    I don't think I would risk 10 miles on the road as I run mostly on grass
    Is the grass short enough to run on?
    Do other people run on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

MaisieMac wrote: »
    I would also like to run this race but I would like to know if it is possible to run part of it on the grass.
    I don't think I would risk 10 miles on the road as I run mostly on grass
    Is the grass short enough to run on?
    Do other people run on it?

A 4 year old thread?

You could possibly run a lot of it on grass but you could risk injury switching from grass to tarmac on and off kerbs all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement