Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first build

Options
  • 01-05-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recently decided to undertake my first ever PC build. Ive got around a 500 euro budget but I am willing to exceed it a little if needs be. I plan on building from scratch seeing as I don't have any spare parts lying around I.e old PSUs or Cases.

I am gonna use my new PC mostly for Gaming so I would like it to be able to run most games out there on medium settings. I would also like to be able to capture game play footage as I am playing the game.

My knowledge about Computers isnt exactly the greatest but its definitely not the worst and I am still young enough to learn quite a lot in a short space of time. I've been doing a lot of research online regarding budget builds and the likes although I am finding it hard to locate one that is up-to date..

Im also having problems locating sources for my components in europe. Most of the things I look up such as Cases etc come from the US and have ridiculously high shipping costs.

So I guess I need some help/suggestions. Is there any Irish retailer who would have a good stock of computer components for fair prices ? Does anybody have any suggestions or links for current Budget build gaming PCs and a parts list ? Has anybody any tips for a first time builder (what kinda tools Ill need etc) ? Really any advice is welcomed!

Thank you so much for your time and I hope somebody out there is able to answer a few of my questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Wrong forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

But you will have trouble building a really good gaming rig on 500euro, a decent graphics card is going to gobble a massive chunk of that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

fionny wrote: »
    Wrong forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

But you will have trouble building a really good gaming rig on 500euro, a decent graphics card is going to gobble a massive chunk of that money.

Cheers and sorry to the modds in advance hopefully they can move it.

I'm sure they will move it soon, I build a nice gaming rig recently for 500 but that excluded a graphics card, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headset, screen etc... so it probably wouldnt be much help.

fionny wrote: »
    I'm sure they will move it soon, I build a nice gaming rig recently for 500 but that excluded a graphics card, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headset, screen etc... so it probably wouldnt be much help.

Tbh when I said the 500 I knew I would get all the peripherals included with that. Ive seen a lot of builds from the US that are 500$ and seem to be excellent. I assumed 500 euros would be more than enough :(

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Tbh when I said the 500 I knew I would get all the peripherals included with that. Ive seen a lot of builds from the US that are 500$ and seem to be excellent. I assumed 500 euros would be more than enough :(

Well keep in mind in the US they do not build tax into the price so all that is extra.

It entirely depends on what you are angling for, but to my mind a gaming rig needs decent juice especially if you are running fraps also!

My Rig is:

Intel i5 2500k
    MSI Twin Frozr 6950 Oc'ed Graphic
    16gb of RAM (this is piggery but was cheap)
    128gb SSD (pulled from old machine)
    120gig Raptor HD (pulled from old machine)
    1TB Storage drive
    Gigabtye z68 motherboard
    Coolermaster Silencio Case

Now I can run most things very nicely but its still not top spec by any means, and that lot is well over around 800euro's before any peripherals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I know we should probably do this in the PC Building and Upgrading forum, but do you mind filling this out? It will really help get the best parts for your money.

You can post the answered form in a new thread on there to make things easier.

1. What is your budget? [€600](open to change if necessary but this is my target)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing] (Guild Wars 2 will be my target. I know its not spec heavy. Most RTS would also be included, AoE, Total War series)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Not really. I have some old peripherals Mouse, Keyboard, and Monitor but thats it]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/a]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1366x768] [No] (http://www.malihosting.info/malibaelectricstore/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=32&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [I need a Wireless Card(assume for Wifi?), A Card Reader and Speakers.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Preferably no]

8. How can you pay? [Laser however I do have a 3V card as well]

9. When are you purchasing? [Im currently saving my wages for about 4-6 weeks then I hope to buy all components in one go]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Dublin 15]

Again I am sorry to the Modds but If rather just keep this thread and it be moved, instead of creating a new one and causing confusion, :o

This should be great for that resolution:

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€54.05
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€71.26
    Logitech LS11 2.0 Stereo Speaker System|€14.40
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.23
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.94
    Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader mit USB 3.0, 8,89cm (3,5")|€13.58
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€16.42
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€104.53
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€117.86
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.50
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€536.43

This is from a German website called Hardwareversand. They are very reliable (good customer service) and have very low prices, making them a favourite for builds. If you don't feel comfortable building it yourself, you can get them to build it for you (at a price). You just need to put this in your basket.

If you have a family member in the education system (student or teacher) you can avail of Windows 7 for €55 at software4students.ie. It says its an upgrade version but it can be used for clean installs (I've done it myself).
    Otherwise its €85.

I've put in a generic set of speakers, change them at your own will.

EDIT: Hardwareversand normally only take bank transfers (credit cards aren't common in Germany), if you don't want to do that you can do it through PayPal at a 3% extra charge.

Eboggles wrote: »
    This should be great for that resolution:

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€54.05
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€71.26
    Logitech LS11 2.0 Stereo Speaker System|€14.40
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.23
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.94
    Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader mit USB 3.0, 8,89cm (3,5")|€13.58
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€16.42
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€104.53
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€117.86
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.50
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€536.43

This is from a German website called Hardwareversand. They are very reliable (good customer service) and have very low prices, making them a favourite for builds. If you don't feel comfortable building it yourself, you can get them to build it for you (at a price). You just need to put this in your basket.

If you have a family member in the education system (student or teacher) you can avail of Windows 7 for €55 at software4students.ie. It says its an upgrade version but it can be used for clean installs (I've done it myself).
    Otherwise its €85.

I've put in a generic set of speakers, change them at your own will.

EDIT: Hardwareversand normally only take bank transfers (credit cards aren't common in Germany), if you don't want to do that you can do it through PayPal at a 3% extra charge.

I was just looking at the components list there. Ive never really heard alot about the brands listed here although saying that the only brands I could probably name off right now are Corsair, Nividia, AMD and Intel so I am not sure as to the quality ?

I noticed the processor was dual core. Ive read recently that theyll soon be outdated and quad core will be a necessity, any advice on this ?

What kinda preformance could I expect from a machine like this ? I dont mean to sound ungrateful or anything, infact I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together. I just wanna learn so more about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Moved to PC Building & Upgrading :)

• Advertisement

Want some numbers eh? Most games can barely make use of two cores, let alone 4. The i3-2120 is a crazy little chip for the price.

As for benchies, Well here ye go :D
    Take into account the below chips are around twice or three times the cost of the 2120. The i5 2400 is around €60 more. The i5 2500k is €190 and the 2600k is€260. Talk about a bargain!

Corei32120_Corei52400_47.jpg

Get the idea?

Corei32120_Corei52400_49.jpg

And as for the other parts, they have been "rigorously tested" by the lads over at PC Building (I have most of those parts in the computer I'm typing this in) for their performance/price/reliability.

Okay yeah I see what your saying about the preformance. Really does have minimal difference. Id say it would just make a difference when I am running multiple programmes yeh ??

Was just looking at their payment methods as well. May need to get a Paypal account

Okay yeah I see what your saying about the preformance. Really does have minimal difference. Id say it would just make a difference when I am running multiple programmes yeh ??
    What sort of programs? really to keep multiple programs open (and function) strains the RAM more than the CPU, and you're hardly going to be compiling, rendering and gaming at the same thime, are you? :p

Although stuff like Photoshop and other programs like that can make use of more cores (and threads) in your budget its not really a good idea. You'd have to drop the graphics card down to a 6770/7750 and get a weak i5, around the 2.8ghz range which means less performance in games.

Your choice really.

Eboggles wrote: »
    What sort of programs? really to keep multiple programs open (and function) strains the RAM more than the CPU, and you're hardly going to be compiling, rendering and gaming at the same thime, are you? :p

Although stuff like Photoshop and other programs like that can make use of more cores (and threads) in your budget its not really a good idea. You'd have to drop the graphics card down to a 6770/7750 and get a weak i5, around the 2.8ghz range which means less performance in games.

Your choice really.

Oh ya never know what my multi-tasking skills are.

But nope your right If I wanna stick within my budget then its the right choice to make. Keep the graphics card and processor the same :)

Anywways Ill keep all posted as my build progresses! :)

Eboggles, Im just after ordering from that site now. I recieved an email from them saying that I should trasfer money from my bank account to one of theirs (they gave two choices). It seems like a weird way to do things. I am used to paying for goods before the order is even processed. any advice ?

Eboggles, Im just after ordering from that site now. I recieved an email from them saying that I should trasfer money from my bank account to one of theirs (they gave two choices). It seems like a weird way to do things. I am used to paying for goods before the order is even processed. any advice ?
    When I use them I go through PayPal so I'm not exactly in the know, but it should be as simple as getting the relevant details (Iban, swift etc) and heading down to your bank. Many people on this forum have done it so I'm probably not the best help you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Just print out the email, go into your bank, and tell them how much you want to transfer and give the banker the email and he will do it for you in less than 5 minutes, although it will take a day or two for the money to go through. Then about another 5 or 6 days to be delivered.

Advertisement