Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Patrick Moore attacks Germany he still HATES it after 70 years

• 01-05-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

The guy who does the Sky at Night on the bbc.

Is he out of order here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137652/Patrick-Moore-says-hates-Germans-70-years-Nazi-bomb-killed-fianc-e.html

'The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut'

"if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

I understand there's grieving and living with a lost relative (lost his wife in a Nazi bombing) and maybe thats his way with coping with it, but its still a bit pathetic.

I'm sure there are plenty of Irish people who think the same way about English people, I know I live up in the north and know some people judge me on my English accent and think twice about me, older people mainly, not younger.

Do you hold angst against any one particular nation?? Do hold those feelings towards protestants from the north or British people (or French people or German people?)

I know some Irish people still haven't gotten over Thierry Henry's handball, refuse to go on holiday there etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

He'll always be the games master to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

those pants be ridin' high

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Gnobe wrote: »

I know some Irish people still haven't gotten over Thierry Henry's handball, refuse to go on holiday there etc.

And they are complete clowns. As Roy keane said, get over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He's spot on.

Not necessarily because he's right, but because he's a fcuking legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A lot of germany were either unborn or very young at the time of himselfs European adventure. it's not really fair, tbh.

It's as bad as those american muppets that were cheering the tidal wave on Japan because of pearl harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Wait until he finds out about the Nazi bases on his precious Moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think it's fairly understandable for him to hate the germans if he feels they're responsible for his wife's death. It was the same with Kirk when a Klingon killed his son. The only way Moore is going to get over it is if he's sent to a frozen prison planet, escapes and saves the life of the President of Earth, thereby ensuring a peace treaty between the Klingons and the Federation.

So, here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Ah Sir Patrick Moore, you eccentric old git.

The only man personally affected by the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This is what immediately popped into my head:

Go to 1'38"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's the Gamesmaster. He can say what he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Dirk Bogarde was the same, only without the dead fiancee. I believe he even refused to travel in the same elevator as a German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

humanji wrote: »
    I think it's fairly understandable for him to hate the germans if he feels they're responsible for his wife's death. It was the same with Kirk when a Klingon killed his son. The only way Moore is going to get over it is if he's sent to a frozen prison planet, escapes and saves the life of the President of Earth, thereby ensuring a peace treaty between the Klingons and the Federation.

So, here's hoping.

Kahn killed his son ! As this evidence proves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If he posted his views on here he'd be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Just goes to show that you can be both intelligent and a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of his other views on politics etc are fairly eh.. well, fcuked up too. He once appeared on Room 101 and one of the things he 'banished' was female news readers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I understand the personal pain he has and to some degree it's understandable.... but what a c*ntish thing to say... "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."... don't worry about it SIR Patrick Moore, there's plenty the world over more than willing to return the favour to the UK if the circumstances were similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I suspect he's gone ga-ga. Not so long ago he was bitching about the number of women and especially non-white ones who had jobs with the BBC.:rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-453392/How-women-ruining-BBC-Sir-Patrick-Moore.html

Not that it matters really. The way the old coot mutters, you'd think he had a mouthful of shite - and he was the one who complained about those (dusky-skinned) women newsreaders not being able to speak "the Queen's English".:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It must be something to do with him falling 50,000 feet and landing on his head after he opened what he thought was the door to the sh1tter on a Lancaster bomber in 1944.

Icepick wrote: »
    Just goes to show that you can be both intelligent and a moron.

Like David Cameron. Sans monocle.

• Advertisement

I once got short changed by a shop keeper.
    This left me with no change for the bus to go home.
    I had to walk 3 miles. 3 MILES!!!
    It rained a little too and I got slightly wet.
    I got a mild head cold because of it.

I wish death on all shopkeepers.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Poor old git. We all have our pet hates. His just happens to be the entire population of Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This is what immediately popped into my head:

Go to 1'38"

snap!! i was about to post the same clip

love the expression on the major's face:D when he hears theres germans coming, i guess Sir Patrick Moore would be of the same generation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He'll always be the games master to me

:D

Thats showing your age! :pac:

I miss that programme still!
    Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Patrick Moore plays the xylophone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

prinz wrote: »
    don't worry about it SIR Patrick Moore, there's plenty the world over more than willing to return the favour to the UK if the circumstances were similar.

And that would be equally wrong.

Like I say no one should ever judge anyone by nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Poor old buggers lost it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

foxyboxer wrote: »

That'll teach you to count your change next time your mammy sends you out to the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Why is it non PC to hold a hatred for something beyond a certain time? Is there a time limit on emotion. I have hated an individual for 30 years and will continue to until I die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Its his right. The germans ruined his life by killing the woman he loved on the orders of a maniac.

He's also not the only one - Senator John McCain has a fairly healthy lack of respect against Vietnam seeing as he was a guest in one of their torture centers.

Its not 'pathetic' to feel these things, since after all these people have very good reasons for their feelings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

You get to a certain age and you just say what you want. Look at his trousers. Do you think he gives a shit? He's just like the honey badger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'm inclined to call the lad an idiot, but I can understand his hatred after what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭comeback_kid

Why is it non PC to hold a hatred for something beyond a certain time? Is there a time limit on emotion. I have hated an individual for 30 years and will continue to until I die.

My hatred for a particular individual has coloured my view of a particular country , I can see how mr Moore would feel after loosing his wife

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was fully sure he'd died a couple of years back, guess not. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

He has an actual real personal grievance and it isn't unjustified. Because it seems like history to most doesn't make it so for him. Without getting into the nitty gritty the war was with the state if Germany, not just some German guy and I don't think it is in any way pathetic for him to be angry or hateful. It's fairly normal, not that many on here would probably agree. Pie in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Because it's fairly silly to hate 80 million people who did nothing to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

RichieC wrote: »
    It's as bad as those american muppets that were cheering the tidal wave on Japan because of pearl harbour.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Did the shopkeeper kill your fiancée or any of your comrades as well as blow up large sections of your country in a war in which 450,000 of your fellow citizens died? Did you live in fear for your own life as you crossed enemy skies to help win a war you didn't start?

Although to hate a whole population is extreme, you and I have no idea how a war scars a person.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Because it's fairly silly to hate 80 million people who did nothing to him.

I hate you and I have never met you, why because I associate you with something that causes me pain. :pac:

• Advertisement

RGDATA! wrote: »
    link?

Sausage

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I met Patrick Moore at an Astronomy Ireland event nealy 20 years ago and he signed one of his books for me. I found him to be an absolute gent. He is a huge man - about 6'3" tall and with a very big frame. He also is very talented and knowledgeable on a range of subjects.

I suspect he's going a bit dotty in his olf age - he is almost 90 after all. He barely contributes to The Sky At Night these days and is wheelchair bound.

I respect Sir Patrick for his knowledge and opinions of all things astronomy related (except for his craters of the Moon theory which was debunked after the Apollo missions) and he is entitled to his personal views but it is sad to see him come out with such bitterness against Germany.

But to Patrick Moore and my grandmother's generation Germany was always the enemy to them growing up and this is entrenched within them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I hate you and I have never met you, why because I associate you with something that causes me pain. :pac:

Lube? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Wow, political correctness has gone full circle it seems it is now not ok to hate the Nazis anymore. Moore is a legend and is not afraid of the liberals and speaks his mind, fair play to him, he maybe 89 but he is lightyears ahead of this generation of people.

Did the shopkeeper kill your fiancée or any of your comrades as well as blow up large sections of your country in a war in which 450,000 of your fellow citizens died? Did you live in fear for your own life as you crossed enemy skies to help win a war you didn't start?

Although to hate a whole population is extreme, you and I have no idea how a war scars a person.

Hat der Ladenbesitzer töten deine Verlobte oder einen der Kameraden sowie die Luft zu sprengen große Teile Ihres Landes in einem Krieg, in dem 450.000 Ihrer Mitbürger gestorben ist? Haben Sie Angst um Ihr eigenes Leben leben, wie du Feind Himmel überquerte, um einen Krieg gewinnen Sie nicht gestartet wurde?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Gnobe wrote: »
    Sir Patrick Moore attacks Germany he still HATES it after 70 years... "The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut"...."if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

What a retard. Seriously, what a grade A loser, and a bigot. Above all else a loser. Complete loser. Pathetic. As an Englishman, on this issue he lives in the biggest glasshouse in world history compliments to his country running the biggest empire in world history. Pathetic, and even worse the same cheerleaders and apologists of the same Empire will think this reprobate is a hero. Gobshíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ah come on. Surely you can't compare what the nazi regime did to getting short changed for your sliced pan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

When I am 89 I will fcuking speak my mind too, what's left of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement