Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP Exam

• 01-05-2012 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. :)

Not sure about every school, but my LCVP exam is tomorrow. Just wanted to say that I hope it goes well for everyone and that we all come out with merits and distinctions. Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey everyone. :)

Not sure about every school, but my LCVP exam is tomorrow. Just wanted to say that I hope it goes well for everyone and that we all come out with merits and distinctions. Good luck!
    DISTINCTIONS FTW! Hopefully, i've put wayyyyyyyyyyy too much work into LCVP to get a Merit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Same, and that damned portfolio! I'm hoping for a distinction but apparently they are more difficult to get than they seem. I'm be okay with a merit though. :D

I'm after doing the Section C's (Questions 1-6) from 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 and got the following:
    • 2011- 92/100
    • 2010- 96/100
    • 2009- 96/100
    • 2008- 99/100
    • 2007- 95/100

Hoping that the audio visual goes well and the Case Study is easy enough I should be grand! I'm going to try and do 2007, 2006 before I stop studying tonight, read over the case study again and take a look over the portfolio to make sure I know it and after that it's out of my hands really!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

Oh my god, I've done absolutely nothing for this subject. I'm probably going to scrape a Merit if even! I've got a pretty good portfolio though so hopefully I won't fail. :rolleyes:

Oh wow, I feel so inferior! I'm just finishing my C part of 2011. Plan to do 2010 and 2009 tonight as well. Then a little look over my case study and portfolio and I have a few chapters I want to read in my book also.

I'm hoping the audio visual goes well because if not bye bye distinction. :(

Edit: @kayleigh01 I'm sure you'll do fine! Most people don't do anything for LCVP and come out with a decent result. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Hey you know if its says in the Marking Scheme 3@3m (1+1+1), does that mean you must provide an example to get all 3 marks?

Yeah I think so. Or it could mean that you have to provide 2 points on whatever you named. The LCVP marking scheme can be a bit annoying like that.

Yeah I think so. Or it could mean that you have to provide 2 points on whatever you named. The LCVP marking scheme can be a bit annoying like that.

Ah so if I have a bullet point '- Finance', and I have 'Get a loan from the bank provided you have a good business plan, apply to County Enterprise Board for a grant, use personal savings' that will do?

I also hate compulsory points you sometimes get on Marking Schemes :p

Does anyone know how you would expand on using a Recruitment Agency as a method to recruit employees?

@Fizzyorange Thanks! :) I hope that's the case! :P

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Hey you know if its says in the Marking Scheme 3@3m (1+1+1), does that mean you must provide an example to get all 3 marks?
    Yeah it's broken down as follows:

3@ 3 marks each:

Name- 1 mark
    Discuss- 1 mark + 1 mark
    Example- 1 mark

So the 3rd mark can be given for an additional point of discussion, or an appropriate example.

I think i'll be fine, i'm after doing the 2007 Section C. Did Q's 1, 2, 5, 6 and have 28 minutes spare! You get 23 minutes for each long and I was doing them in 15/16 minutes! I haven't corrected it yet so i'll let ye know how I do.

Guys if you get stuck and can't think of an answer, put the pen down and think about it logically- the subject is all related to the world around us, so just take your time, breathe and hopefully we'll be getting Distinctions all around come August!

• Advertisement

PictureFrame you seriously have LCVP down!

I've just done 2 ish exam papers and so far nothing has been too bad. For the most of it you can avoid the questions you don't like so I reckon the actual exam will be fine. :)

Out of curiosity, what points are you guys hoping for in the Leaving in total?

I want/need in around the 500 region to get my first choice. I would love to do my second choice also (420) so if I fail to get the 500ish it's not the end of the world for me :)

I'm only doing 5 Honours so I really need to get a Distinction in this as it's better than anything I will get from a Pass subject.

Hoping for at least 550 for Med. :) What about you?

530ish. Would be happy with anything over 510 (that's what I got in the Pre's) but 530 would be a dream!

Slightly on-topic once more, does anyone know how strict the Examiners are in relation to points not listed on the Marking Scheme?

I'm correcting 2007 Q.6 (B) the question is:

Describe 3 challenges that a new enterprise may face

I gave the following answer as one point:

High Initial Start-Up Costs
    As the firm will be involved in a lot of advertising so that consumers will be aware of the existence of the firm/what goods or services they provide, the firm may incur high costs. Also, the purchasing of essential capital (machinery etc.), premises and Motor Vehicles is also expensive and adds to high initial start up costs

I know it's a perfectly good answer, i'm just worried whether the examiners are marking strictly on what's on the Marking Scheme and not accepting anything else! Does anyone know what's the case with the marking?

Oh wow, good luck to you both! What are you looking to do subz3r0?

I'm looking for the 350 range, not half as impressive but it's all I need. Hoping for Arts in Galway which was 340 last year and has been going down for the past four years I think. Hoping to compete for a place in psych for the following two years. :) I'd never get the 520 needed for the CAO route.

How'd you find the HPAT kayleigh01? I was talking to some girls in my year this week and they were very unhappy with their results.

Edit: My LCVP teacher says that if the answer makes sense and is relevant you will get the marks, and if you didn't I'd get it rechecked.

How'd you find the HPAT kayleigh01? I was talking to some girls in my year this week and they were very unhappy with their results.

It didn't go as well as I would have liked but as long as I get my points I should be in with a good enough chance! :)

Good luck to you too, Psychology is one of my back-up plans. Such an interesting career. :)

@pictureframe I'm sure you'd get the marks, as long as the answer makes sense and is relevant to the question there shouldn't be a problem. But I suppose it all depends on the examiner you get and how strict they are. :/

kayleigh01 wrote: »
    It didn't go as well as I would have liked but as long as I get my points I should be in with a good enough chance! :)

Good luck to you too, Psychology is one of my back-up plans. Such an interesting career. :)

@pictureframe I'm sure you'd get the marks, as long as the answer makes sense and is relevant to the question there shouldn't be a problem. But I suppose it all depends on the examiner you get and how strict they are. :/
    Yeah, suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Ok, for the audio-visual. I've decided my plan of attack :P. First i'm going to divide the rough work sheet into 8 sections and just listen to the DVD and jot down quick bullet points the first time. Second time i'm going to write down more detailed notes if there are any and fill in the easy one worded answers Question 1-3. 3rd time, i'm going to finish filling in the answers make sure I can't write down any more and then that's it!

I'm finished with the ol' exam papers now, just want to look over a few things in the book to refresh my memory and then work on my case study for a bit.

Anyone got any advice on chapters or topics?

@kayleigh01 I hope you get your course, med looks really interesting. :)

@WindowFrame that's a great idea for the rough work sheet. Apparently the examiners will look back at your rough work and if you have relevant points that you didn't put down under a q they can give you the marks! That's what my teacher said today anyway.

Yeah, suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Ok, for the audio-visual. I've decided my plan of attack :P. First i'm going to divide the rough work sheet into 8 sections and just listen to the DVD and jot down quick bullet points the first time. Second time i'm going to write down more detailed notes if there are any and fill in the easy one worded answers Question 1-3. 3rd time, i'm going to finish filling in the answers make sure I can't write down any more and then that's it!

Ahhhhh, you seem so organised and prepared. I hope you get your distinction because you clearly deserve it.

Any tips for the Case Study? I only got it on Monday and haven't a clue where to start. I've done a SWOT analysis and have gone through the previous Case Study questions in the papers. Anything else I should be doing?

@fizzyorange Thanks! :) Also, Enterprise, Work Experience, Planning and the Career Investigation come up very often. I'd concentrate on those. :)

kayleigh01 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, you seem so organised and prepared. I hope you get your distinction because you clearly deserve it.

Any tips for the Case Study? I only got it on Monday and haven't a clue where to start. I've done a SWOT analysis and have gone through the previous Case Study questions in the papers. Anything else I should be doing?

@fizzyorange Thanks! :) Also, Enterprise, Work Experience, Planning and the Career Investigation come up very often. I'd concentrate on those. :)
    The Case Study is really irritating me! :( I don't know what to do with it, think i'm going to read it again look over my SWOT and just have a clear head for whatever questions they throw at us tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I know it's a perfectly good answer, i'm just worried whether the examiners are marking strictly on what's on the Marking Scheme and not accepting anything else! Does anyone know what's the case with the marking?

I'm worried about that aswell. I would imagine they mark it really really hard or else everyone would be coming out with a distinction. Our teacher said it can come down to the examiner you get. Some years there might be 10 distinctions got in the school, and other years maybe just 3 or 4. Depends on wheter you get a b1tch of an examiner or not.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I'm worried about that aswell. I would imagine they mark it really really hard or else everyone would be coming out with a distinction. Our teacher said it can come down to the examiner you get. Some years there might be 10 distinctions got in the school, and other years maybe just 3 or 4. Depends on wheter you get a b1tch of an examiner or not.
    sigh..

Let's all pray that we have kind, caring examiners who woke up to flowers and chocolate and fluffy rabbits the day they correct our LCVP papers.

It's very unfair on their part to try and lower people's results just because a lot of people are doing well. Isn't that a good thing? And if they don't like it, make the next years exam paper harder, that's all! Why take it out on people who done well?

Lads, as regards the Case Study, our teacher showed us this video.
    If you skip to 3:30 they will go through all the things you can have in a Community Centre. All those examples they have there can be applied to our Case Study. For example using the garden area of the centre to grow flowers and sell them to raise money for the centre.

Worth a look starting at 3:30 I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Oh wow I feel quite inferior now!haha
    Havent even looked at my exam papers .. I'm not even sure where they are.
    Literally just read over the case study and possible questions, and last years marking scheme.
    I'll read over enterprise tomorrow morning and then I'm done.

It's very important to go through the Marking Scheme and try to remember the bullet points of suggested answers imo. They ask similar questions every year :)

Also...
    @WindowFrame that's a great idea for the rough work sheet. Apparently the examiners will look back at your rough work and if you have relevant points that you didn't put down under a q they can give you the marks! That's what my teacher said today anyway.

:D:D:D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Rough Work Sheet ??
    Is that on the exam booklet we get, or do we have to ask for a sheet of paper

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Rough Work Sheet ??
    Is that on the exam booklet we get, or do we have to ask for a sheet of paper

It's in the exam booklet, under the instructions for Audio Visual. It says 'This page may be used for notes or to supplement answers'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement